MACHINE HEAD

The guitar tone on TMTC was the first guitar tone that totally blew me away.

I specifically remember riding in my friend's car in 2001, when I was 15 and just hearing this record for the first time, and thinking that the guitar tone absolutely ruled...

I happened to be looking through the booklet for this album a couple nights ago, and I believe it said "Mixed by Colin Richardson and Andy Sneap"... I've known for a while that this was the work of Andy, but what role did Colin play in this record? I'm curious how much of a dual effort it was!

Also, I talked to Jordan from As I Lay Dying this summer, and I asked him why they decided to go with Colin on the new record instead of Andy again, and before he said anything, he mentioned that Andy was once Colin's understudy...which was news to me. Is that pretty common knowledge around here?

I wasn't so much his understudy, tho he was in the producing business a good few years before me. I was engineering / producing at a studio in Nottingham where Colin came and did a few projects and I engineered for him. We got on really well (still do) so when he needed someone to help out on The More Things Change he called me up. They hit a few (ok alot of) snags on this record, it had been mixed twice and people still wernt happy so the pressure was on. I actually think the second mix was pretty good before I came in on it. I remember getting to Logans house at 6am (after travelling 24hrs) and he handed me a huge bowl of weed then played me the mixes from the secnd mix and I just sat there so stoned laughing saying ....and why are we remixing this? lol.
But this was before we were reamping so we had to do all guitars again so it was alot of work.

ah yes a big bowl of weed to get the job done. perfecto. hey Andy, if u want a nice glass piece im your man. :) hit me up ill make you something for free.

Man it sure looks like it. If it is, my world is all upside down, lol. Lead is clean and rhythm is not on crunch, what the hell? Makes you wonder if it's just one of them on that setting that they use an amp switcher between heads or if the other head is for backup? That question sure raises a few new questions doesn't it, bigger question is what's in the Speed Racer lunch box? Here's another one for ya. http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3296/machine20head20tour2000se0.jpg

I tried the Crunch OFF when quad-tracking today. Had to run the Gain pretty high to compensate. Yeah, that Lead channel as a clean, WTF? Some amp-mod mojo done to that amp me thinks.

LOL at the lunchbox.

tubescreamer -> sansamp bdi can get you ridiculously close to that bass tone

I wish I kept the exact settings. I tried to copy this tone with that setup. I got to what was really close to my ears, then put my tone against that exact intro you're talking about with voxengo curve eq, to match it. And I swear the curve it came back with to 'match' the original was basically flat with the tiniest little notch.

Edit: still have the file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4924305/bennyh-0D808_Sansamp-TMTCtone.mp3
It was a cort bass with mighty mite pick ups