Mentality of a beginning metalhead.

RedStorm

Death has come
Apr 30, 2014
somewhere in the milky way
So i have some thoughts. When i first started getting into metal I looked at it and listened to it as if it was some sort of macabre thing and that only people who were real REBELS liked it and that everyone who liked it was intellectually superior to others. I was a fucking retard. When you look at these kids and even adults who think this and still haven't matured past that point, that's what people think metal heads are like. Most of you will understand this was true for me and after almost two years being on this forum, i think i've evolved past that point. So big thanks to you guys for giving me a hard time, i deserved it. lol. \

Were you guys like this too?

Personally, I've always felt that most metalheads are stupid people with a false sense of superiority over people who don't listen to metal. My opinion on the matter hasn't changed much over time.

That said, metal is a big part of my life and I do consider it an important style of music, just not one that's automatically superior to all other styles.

I was having a chat with my mate maybe the other week, whom I've been trying to get into heavier metal. He told me that being a metalhead seemed very "elitist", and as a joke, I gave it who whole 'Well obviously my music taste is superior bla bla bla'
But I don't know WHY this is a thing. The false sense of superiority is 100% true, but what is it that makes metal listeners so "superior"?
Does anyone ACTUALLY feel this way about metal?

I dunno. I'd personally like to see like a strawpoll or something on this. You've got me thinking, @Individual thought patterns.

It's funny because other people find metal very silly, and I have to agree on it partly. When I see a boy with puberty all up in his ass sporting a Children of Bodom hoodie and acting all tough it makes me smile. MY MUSIC IS EVIL THERE'S A REAPER ON MY CLOTHES. I remember this one guy in high school who was really dumb, you could notice straight away by his looks and shit this guy was a dumbass and once I asked him something and he overheard and replied "if I'm a satanist? yes" and I was like whoa, what a silly cunt.

Yeah I'm lucky and unlucky, i don't see those kids but i know they exist. I don't know any metal heads and if i go to a fucking concert, i have to utilize my friends to do it. But thats easy enough whether its weed, alcohol, etc

I think Metal for the most part is superior to all other styles of music.
If I didn't I wouldn't dedicate so much money and time to it, so why lie to myself in order to uphold some fake moderate position?

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Yeah but metal at least in my own particular experienced opened me up to other genres such as classical and edm. I would say for the most part I like metal more then other genres but i couldn't say it was "Superior" considering when i watch my sister listen to her music she loves it a lot and it gives her a similar feeling it gives me. Metal usually requires much patience to appreciate it to the fullest extent but i really don't think its superior. This response could be a pile of shit if you were being facetious, which I think you were being. But i wanted to get that out there lol

But on another hand i don't think any other genre has a better community then metal, fuck every one of the classical forums i hate them all. Yeah but through my experience at least on here you all give me a hard time but to be honest its for the better, I was such a little cunt when i first came here

Reactions: Cadaver The Great
Well obviously it's all subjective (obvious to me anyway) and no I was being 100% serious. :)

Metal seems to be one of the only musical cultures where there's almost as much talk about how metalheads are [insert negative connotation] and should be more modest as there is superiority. I've been a Hip Hop head longer than I've been into Metal and pretty much everybody in that musical culture thinks Hip Hop is the superior genre and nobody within really questions it.

Metal deserves some credit there for at least being somewhat sceptical of itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedStorm and Dak
Oh btw ITP, I remember the time when this forum made you think how metal is so very profound and so you joined talkclass with a Chick Shudliner avatar and started a death metal thread there and they kept telling you it was not like classical music. Good times. You were like 14 or something, so you're now 16?

Oh btw ITP, I remember the time when this forum made you think how metal is so very profound and so you joined talkclass with a Chick Shudliner avatar and started a death metal thread there and they kept telling you it was not like classical music. Good times. You were like 14 or something, so you're now 16?
yes i do and i really have no idea what i was thinking, and yes im 16 now

I do get really annoyed by 'metal culture' to be honest. People who are balls deep in the scene and show up to my place in full battle jacket and boots wanting to listen to metal the whole time, and I'm just like Motherfucker, I told you we're all eating taco bell and playing Mario party, don't be a fag. Take that silly shit off, you're scratching up my couch, and no, there aren't any single girls coming.

Reactions: unknown
BTW the soundtrack for tonight is Yoshi saying his name repeatedly so fuck off.

Reactions: CiG