Metal Chicks

Personally Idon't consider long hair to be a sign of femininity, and neither do I believe long hair is a metal trait, although that's the popular belief.

Personally I have long hair and you should have guessed that I relate myself to metal as well, but when people say "hey you've got long hair, are you a metallist?", I usually cringe or get embarrassed, as answering "yes" would make unwanted stereotypes about me instantly, while a "no" would lead to me saying that I like "some of it" and the person I'm talking to would begin to talk about mainstream metal all of a sudden. I don't get dressed in leather, drunk, stoned and am not aggressive, but being stereotyped as a person "who is just the same as all other people who listen to "that type of music"" is something I hate.

Back to femininity, since when has long hair been a female only trait? The only reason why I can see this even being even taken into account scientifically is that females get bald much less often than males, yet this still makes shit sense. Sure, yeah, it is a tradition that women are long-haired usually and men are usually short-haired, but why should follow this tradition? However, something tells me that this is what I think simply because I *am* one of the long-haired men, and that's fucking it. The whole point is that long hair suits me better than short, I like being long-haired and that's the only fucking thing that matters! Of course, if I were bald, I'd look more manly, but then why would I want that?

I was kind of raised on the thought that girls have long hair and guys have short hair. But I grew my hair out because i feel that it suits me better. And the whole metal stereotype thing, I know what you are talking about. Ive been bashed here and there on forums for liking the black dahlia murder, the only reason people had for not liking them was because they all had short hair...I dont see why you have to have long hair for metal, but i know a few people who do have long hair and dont like metal.

To me it seems that many long-haired males are also often involved in creative things of life, such as drawing, writing, music(not neccessarily rock and its followers). At least that's what I have noticed.

Myself, I used to notice(after being told that it is time to get my hair cut)that I always look horrible with short hair, while longer hair suits me much better. However, the fact is that I decided to begin actually growing long hair on purpose was when I got into bands like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. My tastes in music have expanded ever since, and I have learned to despise rock'n'roll stereotypes, yet you may still see me turn on something heavy really loud, headbang at concerts. I don't really think about getting my hair cut again because I like it the way it is at the moment and I would not mind keeping at it.

I love men with long hair. I don't think of it as feminine at all, in fact I think it makes them look more masculine. So I guess we all agree, what length your hair is has nothing to do with which gender side you're in touch with. Plenty of women cut their hair short for reasons that have nothing to do with getting in touch with their more masculine side. Rant over.

The Greys said:
The reason why Arch Enemy probably got more popular is becuse they finally fired Johan getting a decent vocalist. Johan almost ruins the old albums.

do me (and the rest of the world) a big favor and drive a knife into your crotch so that you cannot reproduce and thus bring yet another moron into this world.

First of all, Johan was the man, Black Earth and Burning Bridges are great albums.

Secondly they didnt hire Angela becaus she was better, they hired her because she was/is and had been fucking Sharlee for years. They made up a story that she had been in a band called mistress for like 10 years or something to give her some credibillity. The thing is... nobody can find any recod of her ever being in any other band... ever. She was fucking sharlee, he talked mike ammott into letting her join the band... and she fucking killed it. What was always the main draw... the main reason that anyone gave a shit about arch enemy... the ammott brothers. Chris quit BECAUSE of angela. She has recorded 3 albums with the band now, and she sounds different on every single one. Now there is nothing wrong with using different vocal styles... if they are good. Angela has tried all kinds of different things and all of them have sucked. She claims (along with the rest of the band) that she cant "find her voice" well after 3 albums I think she should have it by now... especially if she had actualyl spent 10 years in some death metal band. She is a fucking loser with no tallent... and the biggest attitude of all time. One time here in philadelphia I went to see evergrey (they are friends of mine) when they opened for arch enemy and after the show I wound up talkign to chris and mike from arch enemy. My friend and I were invited to come on the arch enemy bus and as we tried to get on the bus we found that the doors were locked... and angela had just gone in. She locked the doors and wouldnt let ANYONE... not even her own band mates on the bus until it was time for bus call at like 3am. She sucks, and anyone who thinks she is gods gift to metal should be shot.

Go listen to Sentinel Best... one of the best female-fronted metal bands of all time!

Susperia said:
Pffft--- *rolls eyes again*

...How long?

Down to my shoulders. Not fully grown but at the point it would be considered long hair. I've went through the really goofy stages so now it's just normal looking just like a female's. My hair does not look like the 80's or anything but more like like a typical female/70's look.

In the past more people regardless what sex had long hair. It's not just a female thing though it might be to some.

Pirates,etc.. had long hair.

[Would quote 5th Season, too long though]

I'm now sitting on the fence about Arch Enemy. I started liking them when I first got into metal and still do to an extent. I must admit I started liking them because there was a female fronting them along with their music coz I had the whole "go the girls" attitude towards them. But lately I'm hearing and reading about how much of a bitch Angela is, and to be honest it's turning me off them. I don't understand why some girls think it's cool/fun/hot to be bitchy towards other people, especially in Angela's case where there are many people (especially girls) who do look up to her. The sooner people relise her true colours, the sooner the better.

5thSeason said:
do me (and the rest of the world) a big favor and drive a knife into your crotch so that you cannot reproduce and thus bring yet another moron into this world.

First of all, Johan was the man, Black Earth and Burning Bridges are great albums.

Secondly they didnt hire Angela becaus she was better, they hired her because she was/is and had been fucking Sharlee for years. They made up a story that she had been in a band called mistress for like 10 years or something to give her some credibillity. The thing is... nobody can find any recod of her ever being in any other band... ever. She was fucking sharlee, he talked mike ammott into letting her join the band... and she fucking killed it. What was always the main draw... the main reason that anyone gave a shit about arch enemy... the ammott brothers. Chris quit BECAUSE of angela. She has recorded 3 albums with the band now, and she sounds different on every single one. Now there is nothing wrong with using different vocal styles... if they are good. Angela has tried all kinds of different things and all of them have sucked. She claims (along with the rest of the band) that she cant "find her voice" well after 3 albums I think she should have it by now... especially if she had actualyl spent 10 years in some death metal band. She is a fucking loser with no tallent... and the biggest attitude of all time. One time here in philadelphia I went to see evergrey (they are friends of mine) when they opened for arch enemy and after the show I wound up talkign to chris and mike from arch enemy. My friend and I were invited to come on the arch enemy bus and as we tried to get on the bus we found that the doors were locked... and angela had just gone in. She locked the doors and wouldnt let ANYONE... not even her own band mates on the bus until it was time for bus call at like 3am. She sucks, and anyone who thinks she is gods gift to metal should be shot.

Go listen to Sentinel Best... one of the best female-fronted metal bands of all time!

Wow, you have given me a whole new outlook of Arch Enemy...I wasnt really fond of angela, actually she was the reason i didnt entirely like Arch enemy. I listened to the second disk of "wages of sin" with the old vocalist, he wasnt the best either, but I prefer him over her.

*Just to clarify* This wasnt a sexist thing, when I first heard arch enemy, I wasnt fond of the vocals...there was just something about them that I didn't like. Then someone was like "did you know thats a girl?" and I was like wow, I had no idea. His statement about being locked out of the bus just kind of decreased her "decent" status in my mind, I hate bands/band members like that. I like the bands that are right out in the crowd after their show. I went to a behemoth concert, after they were done performing, my friends and I were just standing around, and all of a sudden we see Nergal, he noticed our Behemoth shirts and he walked right up to us and shook our hands. When they were on stage they thanked everyone and were just great, that is how I feel bands should act in concert.

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
DOES EVANESCENCE COUNT AS METAL HERE??? THEIR SINGER CHICK IS HOT
THE FEMALE IN IMPOTENT SEA SNAKES
THE ALL GIRL METAL BAND KITTY
Have you ever heard of a long rectangular shape on the keyboard called a spacebar?

Angela is nothing special but she does fit the music & sounds good on Wages of Sin,Anthems of Rebellion. Johan gets on my nerves fast. His vocal approach the way he sounds is crap to me.

I don't care who Angela is fucking. Don't care about her history or why she is in the band because it is non of my business. I rarely listen to arch enemy.

Their best material is ruined by Johan. The band is almost worthless & it's sad because they are talented individuals.

I also heard Micheal left Carcass because he thought heartwork was to melodic. The weird thing is the first three Arch Enemy's cds are just like that album. Someone is lying.

Davtar said:
*Just to clarify* This wasnt a sexist thing, when I first heard arch enemy, I wasnt fond of the vocals...there was just something about them that I didn't like. Then someone was like "did you know thats a girl?" and I was like wow, I had no idea. His statement about being locked out of the bus just kind of decreased her "decent" status in my mind, I hate bands/band members like that. I like the bands that are right out in the crowd after their show. I went to a behemoth concert, after they were done performing, my friends and I were just standing around, and all of a sudden we see Nergal, he noticed our Behemoth shirts and he walked right up to us and shook our hands. When they were on stage they thanked everyone and were just great, that is how I feel bands should act in concert.

That Behemoth concert was a great show:D

I once saw Arch Enemy in Richmond, VA and it was some last minute show that was scheduled one day in advance. so basically no one knew of the show. It was supposed to start at let say 9pm but It actually didnt start until 12 and was a very short set. This was in 2001.

I bet only 20 people were at this show. They probably didnt want to play because of it but they did eventually. It was pretty good I guess.

Can we change the title of this thread to "Metal Women"??

Just joking.

I never liked Arch Enemy, and I don't really care for Angela Gossow's voice, so I don't really care about any of this, however I find it interesting how loved/hated Johan's voice is. I'm friends with a guy who loves Johan's vocals so much he practically gets hard listening to them. But then I hear things like how his voice ruined the albums.... Interesting opinions.

5thSeason said:

Dude, Mistress is definitely a real band.

MasterOLightning said:
Dude, Mistress is definitely a real band.

yes, I am aware of this. In fact there are several, none of which have angela in the band. You would think with the popularity arch enemy has right now that there would be a demand (even if it was a small demand) for angelas old material. As far as I know nobody has been able to find any actual proof that she ever recorded a song prior to joining arch enemy. Metal Archives has a mistress listed with angela on vocals, however the rest of the band members arent even given last names, and there are only 2 demos listed. She claimed she was in the band for years prior to joining AE. Even if they only recorded 2 demos, and angela did in fact do the vocals on them you would be able to find that material somewhere online... but nope... nothing