Most Underrated Metal Guitarists?

Gotta say it yet again... despite that I hate power metal..... Kiko Loureiro is godlike.

I suppose Ron Thal and Mattias Eklundh count in this context... and I dont think anybody mentioned Fredrik Thordendahl in here yet, but I do think he's underrated.

Soilwork/Scarve's Sylvain Coudret is insane

Per Nilsson of course

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
I have a mate that missed Slayer and Suffocation, to see Tipton and Downing.

I call him "IDIOT"!

Sort of makes sense to go to a show where the bands' guitarists don't play random notes followed by WAY too much usage of the whammy.

Everytime I listen to Reign in Blood and the solo part comes in I'm always like

"No.. Kerry, NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

FUCK Slayer.

I'd rather go see them than Priest though, so +1 :p

Nah dude, that's perhaps a valid point about many shredders, but Petrucci's solos in the old days were absolutely bursting with feel, he was so freakin' expressive it was ridiculous! I mean, good god, go to 3:07 in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugcbya8Z24s

And then listen to Labrie try (and fail) to hit the high notes after :lol:

I'm going to respectfully call bullshit here; Petrucci's ALWAYS (not just on the older shit) been tasteful. Even on the new shit. He likes to play a lot of notes every now and then, but that has nothing to do with "FEEL."

People like to equate "slow" with "feel," and I think a lot of times the fast Petrucci stuff gets looked over because people assume he's full of himself. I think he's well respected for a reason, and that reason is he's nasty.

/fanboy rant.

And those vocals aren't even bad considering the harrowing sight that was Labrie at Download hahaha.:puke:

I'm going to respectfully call bullshit here; Petrucci's ALWAYS (not just on the older shit) been tasteful. Even on the new shit. He likes to play a lot of notes every now and then, but that has nothing to do with "FEEL."

People like to equate "slow" with "feel," and I think a lot of times the fast Petrucci stuff gets looked over because people assume he's full of himself. I think he's well respected for a reason, and that reason is he's nasty.

/fanboy rant.

And those vocals aren't even bad considering the harrowing sight that was Labrie at Download hahaha.:puke:

Well I do totally agree something doesn't have to be "slow" to have feel, I just picked the above as an extreme example to silence those who think Petrucci is like on the level of mechanical boredom of, say, Rusty Cooley :loco: That said, while Jani from Sonata and Per Nilsson IMO nail the "fast with feeling" thing, I remember not being impressed or moved by one single solo on ToT (and completely abandoned the band after), and the ending of "This Dying Soul" is just 100% inexcusable IMO :erk:

I forgot about Joe Haley, he has been pretty impressive lately. ObServant is killer.

I also think Glen Drover is a little underrated. I know he was in Megadeth, so some would say he got his spotlight there, but he was still relatively unknown in his Eidolon/King Diamond days.

Harry K. Cody of Shotgun Messiah.. they might be more 80's then i can stand at times, but damn this dude rips the guitar in to pieces!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Steer is criminally underrated as is Ihsahn.
Pat O'Brien is a monster on guitar and so is Rob Barrett, what a rhythm player!!
The guys from DEP have great technical prowess and are LUNATICS on stage

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft