New Songs "DISCUSSION ONLY" thread

So who were these people saying they also heard Baying of the Hounds?

In any case, yes, this song rocks your mom's anus into the night. I also liked TGC a lot too though, which means so far, GR is looking pretty fucking sweet for me.

milkman said:
I orgasm when I hear Tool. Their music is so great.. that I don't care about their pretentious, immature attitude/image.

And I didn't hear GoP so I'm really not exactly sure why I even bothered to post... : /

Umm because you're a Jerry's Kid? yup.

Ghost of Perdition completely kicks all ass. The clean vocals are amazing. This is exactly what I was hoping for from Opeth!

First post here,

I like both songs:

Ghost of Perdition is very varied and more 'progressive', a lot of elements that never were in Opeth music before, and still it's Opeth and it's good. Also there are hints for returning some elements from Orchid\Morningrise - folky parts and hearable bass.

The Grand Conjuration is good too, I like the heavy riffs very much, and the screams are great. About the length - Opeth has a lot of songs with long fadeouts so i think that the fans can accept it. I can imagine a lot of people doing slow heabanging for the last minutes of the song.

By the way, the addition of keyboards is really cool they add a lot of athmospere and there are no fast 'wanking' solos.

And Mikael has never sounded better, the screams are more varied than those from, 'Deliverance' and sound really 'evil', and the clean vocals are renewed with more singing styles, and not only 'the usual' clean singing we used to have.

Since the quality is pretty bad we can't judge the production but overall it sounds good.

It is good that the material is pre-written and rehearsed,
and I'm somewhat glad that Steven Wilson isn't responsible for this record( nothing personal against him, butI think that the style of the band was pretty limited when they worked with him.)

I will be expecting the new album very much.

Sorry for the long post))

^ lol at your sig Pseudo, been listening to polarity's masterpiece eh?

I'm glad this song leaked. Maybe people will finally stop with all the ridiculous theories (fueled, some would say, by TGC?) that Opeth have sold out because they're with RR now.

edit: oh and muchas gracias LFAJ, I finally got it to work

Well this album wasn't affected since it was essentially done before Opeth signed the contract with RR. But their future album(s) might be jeopardized by demands on behalf of RR that comes along with the contract. Do you think Akerfeldt will have the power to bitchslap them?

Ghost of Perdition....
What to say... the song at parts reminds me of so many other Opeth - Master's Apprentices, Harvest, By the Pain I See in Others, When.... Its an average Opeth song(even with the aaaaahhh eyaaahhhh's) until around the 7:05 mark... and then my response went from :dopey: :loco: :yow: o_O :OMG: :worship: :headbang:

And it just gets better with ever sucessive listen...

The "rode into the dark unaware" part is becomming one of my favorite clean parts of all time. It comes up so sudden, but it fits so perfectly. Great imagery too. This song just drips atmosphere.

Oh, and does Mike remind anyone of the guy from Finntroll during the very first growled vocals?

Garou said:
Haven't been following the previous discussion, but does anyone else think Ghost of Perdition could've come straight from Still Life?

I don't get too much of a still life vibe from the album, esp. as the production is too post-deliverance style. IMO the overall sound fits with that of Deliverance.

scorpian007 said:
GoP owns too much. I really hope the rest of the album is as good as this, then it may become their best album.

I was just thinking this. Just listened to it like 5 times in a row and I still want to hear it again. The entire thing fucking rules. I've begun construction on a time machine that will transport me to August 30th.

I absolutely love Ghost of Perdition!
As far as I'm concerned, it is not only better than any song from Deliverance, but also one of the best Opeth's songs ever! It's very rich, varied and all the parts come together perfectly.

Roadrunner should advance the release date of the album - this song got me so impatient to hear the rest of Reveries that it's driving me crazy :hotjump: