New Songs "DISCUSSION ONLY" thread

Alex78 said:
It's a good song, but I don't like that Tool riffing stuff.

i wasnt a tool fan before this...and i can actually say i like the tool style riffing in this song more than ive ever heard it in a tool song.

mike (at least on this song) has managed to create a sound that is familiar...but unlike anything theyve ever done. i still cant put my finger on exactly what it is...but i can say with much confidence and happiness, that he has once again outdone himself and stepped it up.

THe only thing I can complain about on Ghost of Perdition is it sounds like there's only 1 guitar, but I'm sure thats just because of the sound quality...

Before you flame me...

Mr Samsara said:
....Please share your thoughts as fans both positive and negative....

Opeth Forum Team:devil:

I can't help but be dissapointed by what ive heard so far of Ghost Reveries. When i dled the sirius rip of TGC, i was hoping that whoever ripped it had fucked up and only recorded the right/left track, due to the rythym guitar being very stop and go , much like the very small amount of Meshuggah i have endured....

So i waited for the roadrunnerrecords.com stream to become available hoping for a decent quality version of the song. a few minutes ago i listened to it, and to my dissapointment, whoever ripped it of sirius did record left and right tracks :cry:. But on the upside, its very clear that mikaels soloing has greatly improved, i always thought his soloing was top notch, but hes definitely improved even more.

Reading this thread i saw that another track was available on the net (ghosts of perdition), so i hunted it down and dled it (64kbps unfortunately :ill: ). I was hoping that TGC was just an experimental track, and that the rest of the album would be more opeth-esque... Well on the plus side, the guitaring on GOP sounds alot more like previous Opeth albums, the vocals...well sound almost Nu Metal-ish (clean vocals). I can see Opeth's Fanbase growing 10 fold now, especially being on Roadrunner as all the Nickelback and Slipknot kiddies can preview TGC and relate to it....

I will still probably buy Ghost Reveries, in hopes that the rest of this album will be better than what i've heard, but for now...... :erk:.

Dont flame, just posting my opinion

What's with all the hate for the clean vocals? I think they're very refreshing and cool. Granted, it is maybe too catchy but damn, catchiness rules.

I really don't see how you can say the vocals on GoP are "nu-metal"...They're not whiny, not rapped, show actual vocal talent, etc. You've obviously let the "Opeth will become sellouts due to Roadrunner" thing cloud your judgment on this.

Ghost Of Perdition ist just an amazing song. I was really diasppointed after listening to TGC, but GOP ist just great. Maybe not the best Opeth Song, but a very good one. I'm looking forward to the release!

Sinistas said:
I really don't see how you can say the vocals on GoP are "nu-metal"...They're not whiny, not rapped, show actual vocal talent, etc. You've obviously let the "Opeth will become sellouts due to Roadrunner" thing cloud your judgment on this.

Thats not even true, the only comment i made about roadrunner was that there fanbase would increase. I always beleived that opeths sound wasn't impacted by what label there were on, i just think there clean vocals sound nothing like the haunting/atmospheric vocals that you hear on Morningrise through to Still Life, hell even Blackwater Park.

Yes they do show vocal talent, and yes he can definitely sing really well, it just doesnt have the Opeth vibe it used to have you know? just not to my tastes i guess, was just my opinion im not going OMFG I HATE OPETH!!112 Opeth are still my favourite band and probably will be for a long time, i just think that if i had of heard these tracks from another band, without the opeth history to support the tracks, i probably wouldnt give this band a second look.

How the fuck are they nu-metalish? Strange and different for them, but certainly still Opeth, they haven't sold out yet.

I'm not a fan of TGC, but GOP fucking owns me.

If you can't work out how to use 'internet' then it's your bad luck bud. There is plenty of places you can find the songs, if you can't work it out yourself then you're probably retarded and not worthy of the big O.

I can't wait to see them again, hopefully they'll be back in Melbourne or Brisbane soon, probably March/April as they were in 2002 and 03.

I have to save for another tattoo, the Opeth 'O' this time of course. (oh how cliché! a band!.. yeah I know).

I agree, TGC was a huge dissapointment for me but GoP completely owns, the vocals are as good as ever and the strange vocals at the beginning may take time to get into but atleast its different. I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of GR

phen said:
How the fuck are they nu-metalish? Strange and different for them, but certainly still Opeth, they haven't sold out yet.

I'm not a fan of TGC, but GOP fucking owns me.

If you can't work out how to use 'internet' then it's your bad luck bud. There is plenty of places you can find the songs, if you can't work it out yourself then you're probably retarded and not worthy of the big O.

I can't wait to see them again, hopefully they'll be back in Melbourne or Brisbane soon, probably March/April as they were in 2002 and 03.

I have to save for another tattoo, the Opeth 'O' this time of course. (oh how cliché! yeah I know).

What the fuck does "using the internet" have anything to fucken do with how a song sounds? I used to work as an IT technician so dont worry about me maaaaate. When i said i couldnt find the GOP song i only thought that the others had heard it on the road runner site, i didnt read the whole thread. but nah your right, i MUST be retarded or something :erk:.

worthy of the big O. hahaha. you win