New Songs "DISCUSSION ONLY" thread

Apprentice's Master said:
Baying of the Hounds will be a good track as well.

Yes. I wasn't so sure the first time I heard the clip, but after a few more listens (my ears have to navigate the bad quality of the rip), I think it'll be another excellent song. There's definitly a MAYH vibe going on in the heavy part.

although breathing shadow is ghey for callinng it gay i have to agree. The major key absolutely destroys that clip utterly. This is something that opeth have been doing. Mike, in exploring style sometimes puts major with minor and it fails completely and succeeds brilliantly sometimes (see start of dirge for november). This suggests unfortunately that mikes clean vocal melody lines are just ad libs he thought of which suggests an element of "luck" in the songs, normally they've been lucky but when mike clean sings in the major key on baying of the hounds he has struck the single most awkward key change I've ever heard in metal. Yes its a pretty bold statement but that modulation is so badly thought through that it has cast doubt as to whether mikael actually thinks about the clean melody line.

The guitars on this album from what ive heard are incredible, so intricate, so neat but in Baying of the hounds and a little bit in GoP (but its forgiveable) the clean vocals have a great tone but the melody is just.....can only be described as a stab in the dark.

Ghost of perdition is an absolutely brilliant track, i can't really fault it from what I've heard apart from the predictability of the repeating by 4s.

The riffs are so intricate and remind me of still life riffs. I'm getting a lot of SL, MAYH in this so far which is great because they are, I think the best couplet of albums

I think Ghost Reveries will combine the best elements of MAYH, Still Life and Deliverance from what I've heard so far. Maybe some Orchid and Morningrise elements are in the rest of the songs? That would kick ass. But either way, I'm not complaining. :)

I wonder if the new album is tuned to drop D or a whole step down? :confused: I like how they played in E but, hey, whatever still sounds just as good.

I don't think the tuning matters unless you wan tto play the music.

I'm loving the infusion of deliverance with the emotion of SL and MAYH

Well the first two songs are in drop D...I can live with that. I hate drop B muddy powerchord riffs but I really doubt Opeth will ever do that. Maybe Mikael wants to be more like Tool or something.

Nairolf said:
I don't think the tuning matters unless you wan tto play the music.

I'm loving the infusion of deliverance with the emotion of SL and MAYH

Oh Yes :hotjump: , I do want to play the music. :loco:

Nairolf said:
^yes there are tool like parts. pulled off better than tool!

...all the "tool like parts" are just old king crimson. listen to "red" or "starless and bible black". tools big influence is crimson...they have stated this many times and have had them open for them...it's frippertronics baby!!! :hotjump: