New Songs "DISCUSSION ONLY" thread

man, after like 20 listens of GoP now I'd have to say it's the best thing Opeth did since Still Life. Like others, I was slightly let down by TGC, but now I'm very hyped to hear the rest of the album... these next 6 weeks are going to be painful!

super super gay... and they are the farthest thing from scandinavian... or death metal...

and I agree that after many listens (at first i wasn't crazy about the brighter vocals) i must say this is the best Opeth I've heard in a long time. Its just so clear they are at a totally higher level...

If you ever watch MTV2 Headbanger's Ball or Uranium you'll see those hardcore, metalcore, boybandcore, gaylordcore bands' videos all the time. These bands have no musical sense whatsoever. I really think most of them are deaf. That's would be the best explanation for their complete lack of musical ability.

R0l0 said:
man, after like 20 listens of GoP now I'd have to say it's the best thing Opeth did since Still Life. Like others, I was slightly let down by TGC, but now I'm very hyped to hear the rest of the album... these next 6 weeks are going to be painful!

I've been listening to it pretty much every chance I get (got home from work at 10, been listening since then and it's almost midnight now...). I'd say this is definitly in the top 5 songs from albums after SL.

Yea, the worst i got was saying POD were heavy.

We don't have MTV here, or any good music press for that matter. I get most music suggestions of the net, so I wont be watching headbangers ball anytime soon.

Fuck all of you, that part where he raps in major is absolutely beautiful. First off you don't see it coming and second it's just so... shut the fuck up.

EDIT: Ghost of Perdition is thus far the greatest song ever written.

Botfly said:
Fuck all of you, that part where he raps in major is absolutely beautiful. First off you don't see it coming and second it's just so... shut the fuck up.

Wow...I laughed so hard a tear almost formed.

Well, I've just listened to Ghost of Perdition, TGC did dampen my hopes on GR but as many have said this raises expectations even more than before. I'm also loving those vocals, good to see some variety. 7.34 onwards is fucking beautiful, the rest of the song is good, but would definetely benefit from a better quality than 64kbps. Roll on August 30th, and roll on the day when they come to feckin New Zealand, that dingleberry island hanging off the ass of australia

GoP has parts that remind me of Tool, Dream Theater (4.30ish), Neurosis (the opening two bars, oddly) and Opeth (Master's Apprentices).

Only done way better.

Well, GOP is one hell of an opener. Very progresssive, very demanding, very interesting. But apart from references to Tool, am I the only one who hears one huge Steven Wilson knocking on the door when the melodic clean vocals start (before you start collecting wood for my personal bonfire, listen to 'Trains' from PTs 'In Absentia' or 'Glass Arm Shattering' from 'Deadwing')? One more think I like about the new songs in general is the production, which sounds like a blend of Deliverance and MAYH (less crisp and technical than Deliverance, more moody and gloomy like MAYH), it is definately a sign that they did not abandon their old style in favour of Steven Wilsons perfectionism, which I really appreciate.
However, I would not yet consider GOP one of their best songs (there are far too many I still like more - which could change over time), and I also still really do like TGC! The middle part rocks just too foakin hard to abandon the song for it's overall repetitiveness. And I could imagine it works really well toward the end of a long album, where the attention span of the listener is already pretty stressed and this song marks 'the final lap' without being too complex for it's own good. Besides, Opeth already had worse near closing tracks (Funeral Portrait: mediocre, even more repetitive, Serenity Painted Death: never worked for me, dunno why, Karma: plain sucked).