NFL 2017

Bittersweet win.

We lost Jason Peters, my all-time favorite offensive lineman to what looks like a torn ACL :cry:. At his age, that’s probably his career if it is the case.

On the other hand, it is becoming clear just how good Wentz is, and this only in his second season. Thank you Roseman for that amazing trade-up and thank you Browns for having no idea what a franchise QB looks like (can’t wait for the documentary fifteen years from now about how the Browns passed on Wentz and Watson in back to back years).

Bittersweet win.

We lost Jason Peters, my all-time favorite offensive lineman to what looks like a torn ACL :cry:. At his age, that’s probably his career if it is the case.

On the other hand, it is becoming clear just how good Wentz is, and this only in his second season. Thank you Roseman for that amazing trade-up and thank you Browns for having no idea what a franchise QB looks like (can’t wait for the documentary fifteen years from now about how the Browns passed on Wentz and Watson in back to back years).

It is hilarious how the Browns manage to draft all the QBs except the right ones. The Ravens leaving that city really cursed them.

I think Wentz is going to be a fine QB but I also the think the Eagles are not quite as good as their record shows. I do think they closed the gap with the Cowboys, and I'm concerned about a rematch without Bailey and potentially Elliott. Based on strength of schedule and current record Dallas probably needs to sweep the Eagles to take the division, absent an injury to Wentz or some other vital cog (not named Peters). I will say losing Peters is huge, especially with Dallas finding a pass rush. As long as Sean Lee and Anthony Hitchens stay healthy, the Dallas D is going to be underrated going forward. Amazing Dallas has gone from the bottom of the league a few years ago in sacks to currently at 6th, with Tank Lawrence .5 sacks from the lead, probably due to the bye difference. Wentz takes a lot of hits, and he may take even more going against Dallas without Peters on the blindside. As long as Hitchens and Lee can solidify the run D, I like Dallas in a close one if the fill in kicker doesn't shit the bed.

Edit: Huge credit to GM Roseman for fixing the fantastical personnel and cap mess Chip Kelly created. I thought Kelly set the Eagles back 3-5 years. Roseman fixed that FUBAR situation in 2 seasons. A much better GM than Jerrah ever showed to be.

Separate Cowboys offense centric post:

The 49ers game was amazing on both sides of the ball, but I think I was somehow more impressed on the offensive side, even though the defense put up it's best showing since Game 1. The offensive line was on point, and Jonathan Cooper looks like a long term solution at LG after the back and forth between him and Chaz Green. Cooper not only played well, he played well against Buckner, who had up to that game looked like "the real deal". Elliott looked like he had regained that burst from last year that had been lacking to some degree, and the combination of an oline finally giving consistent space and burst returning provided an All Pro day for everyone involved. With improved Pass pro Dak didn't have some of the sailing passes that were evident in previous weeks, and overall he has visibly improved since Year 1, which was a record setting year (which may be broken at Watson's current rate). Wentz has closed the gap with Dak over year 1, but I'd still take Dak based on both a bias towards safe decision making and draft cost. Even equal toe to toe in performance, Wentz cost a top 5 first round trade (even though Roseman finagled amazing terms given the situation), and Dak was a 4th round compensatory, which was a essentially a free early 5th rounder.

Separate Cowboys offense centric post:

The 49ers game was amazing on both sides of the ball, but I think I was somehow more impressed on the offensive side, even though the defense put up it's best showing since Game 1. The offensive line was on point, and Jonathan Cooper looks like a long term solution at LG after the back and forth between him and Chaz Green. Cooper not only played well, he played well against Buckner, who had up to that game looked like "the real deal". Elliott looked like he had regained that burst from last year that had been lacking to some degree, and the combination of an oline finally giving consistent space and burst returning provided an All Pro day for everyone involved. With improved Pass pro Dak didn't have some of the sailing passes that were evident in previous weeks, and overall he has visibly improved since Year 1, which was a record setting year (which may be broken at Watson's current rate). Wentz has closed the gap with Dak over year 1, but I'd still take Dak based on both a bias towards safe decision making and draft cost. Even equal toe to toe in performance, Wentz cost a top 5 first round trade (even though Roseman finagled amazing terms given the situation), and Dak was a 4th round compensatory, which was a essentially a free early 5th rounder.

You know it was vs an 0-6 team with the 4th coach in 4 years, nearly 100% roster turnover and bad management right? They make any team look good right now

You know it was vs an 0-6 team with the 4th coach in 4 years, nearly 100% roster turnover and bad management right? They make any team look good right now

That's why they had lost the previous 5 games by a combined 13 points.
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1...n-final-score-recap-record-loss-margin-week-6

The San Francisco 49ers set an NFL record by becoming the first team in history to lose five consecutive games by three points or less. On Sunday, they lost to Washington by two points, and over their last five games they have lost by a grand total of just 13 points.

The 49ers close game narrative is a little misleading. Both the Rams and the Racists had big leads, then let their foot off the pedal, and almost lost. The Seahawks and Card games were legitimately close, but those are both teams who can hit ruts offensively, and are also divisional rivals. Their other close game was against the Colts, whose two wins are the Browns and 49ers. I'm not taking anything away from the Cowboys performance, as they did exactly what you should do to a bad team. However, it doesn't change that the 49ers are very bad.

Actually for those exact reasons I hate this game. It's virtually a no-win situation for the Eagles. We basically have to blow the 49ers out for it to be a "good performance." And if we lose, everyone will go back to wanting to fire Peterson in a heartbeat.

Yeah Wentz’s weakest performance in a while. Oline struggled as well, and not only Vaitai. Mildly concerning, especially with Broncos D coming to town next week, but I’m also not gonna overreact to one game. Glad to see Jeffery finally make a big play downfield.

As for the defense, that was an absolutely dominant performance. It was brutal watching Beathard get hit every few plays. I was surprised he finished the game. Granted the 49ers oline was strewn together, but it was still an utter domination.

Yeah Wentz’s weakest performance in a while. Oline struggled as well, and not only Vaitai. Mildly concerning, especially with Broncos D coming to town next week, but I’m also not gonna overreact to one game. Glad to see Jeffery finally make a big play downfield.

As for the defense, that was an absolutely dominant performance. It was brutal watching Beathard get hit every few plays. I was surprised he finished the game. Granted the 49ers oline was strewn together, but it was still an utter domination.

Yeah I felt bad for Beathard. They were calling pretty much nothing but screens at the end of the game and he didn't even have time to get those off. Little irritated at Wentz, started him too this week and he hit his projpts but was hoping for more. Need a monster game from Elliott to go along with the monster Philly D game.

Reffing has been atrocious this game. When Aikman notices, it's pretty bad.

Post-game edit: Good team win for Dallas, despite ridiculously poor reffing. Nice to see pressure and WR coverage on defense for a change, although allowing the screens to Thompson was annoying, given that's basically the only thing the Skins offense has had all season.

Last edited: