Official National Hockey League Thread

Been a great playoffs so far with much viciousness and hate built in these series. Sux not having a 'dog in the fight this year, but im really enjoying watching all these game / series and not having to worry bout having a fookin heart attack! lol

Price was crazy especially in the final stages of game 6. Sens got screwed royally however. They had a goal on a Price rebound but the Ref blew the play dead...lost site of loose puck. Also Gallaghers goal shouldnt have counted when his original touch was clearly a highstick, then he in turn batted the puck in. Not that i thought the Sens were going to win this series going in...still unfortunate.

Watch the replay in slo-mo the puck hit his shoulder. It's pretty clear.

As for the goal that was disallowed. this is what Kerry Fraser has to say. The right call was made from where Lee was standing, had it been the other side that he was standing it would of been a goal.

Kerry's take:

Hi Kerry,

Like every other Senators fan, I have a question with respect to Ottawa's goal that was waived off due to an early whistle. I understand why the official blew the whistle as his positioning caused him to lose sight of the puck. In reading Rule 38.4(viii), I have to wonder why video review as not initiated, or at the very least, why the officials did not consult with hockey operations?

Thanks, Kevin

--

Good Morning Kerry,

I'll keep this short and get right to my subject.

Sens vs Habs Game 6 / Chris Lee / Early Whistle / Blown Call

Your articles are always great and really looking forward to your opinion on this and your breakdown on how this mistake was made.

Thanks,
Dave (in Ottawa)

--

Does Rule 38.4 (viii) apply? A rebound off of Montreal's goaltender goes onto the playing surface, and subsequently put into the net as a continous play by an Ottawa forward. It was ruled no goal, but shouldn't Rule 38.4 kick in at this point by the Video Review Judge since the down low official was out of position? I believe this is a new rule this year.

Ron McMahon

--

Kevin, Dave and Ron:

The look of dejection on the face of both Chris Lee and Brad Watson vividly demonstrates the gut wrenching feeling that every referee feels when a premature whistle results in a disallowed goal!

chris-lee-and-brad-watson.jpg

The natural flow of play, which the referee has no control over, dictates the side of the ice that the ref typically assumes in the end zone. His visual focus (from wide to narrow scope) is also dictated by the action. Ideally, when the play moves tight to the net, so too should the referee attack along the goal line to gain the best perspective on loose pucks or how goals are scored.

When a shot is taken, especially from the opposite side, the ref will often drift back slightly toward the side wall to avoid being struck with a shot that misses the net wide or is deflected. It is unfortunate but unavoidable that Chris Lee assumed this position that gave him the impression that Carey Price had control of the puck. Based on Price's frozen statuesque posture, players attacking the net hard on the opposite side and the fact that the referee had lost sight of the puck resulted in the whistle being blown. A contributing factor to the quick whistle were previous scrums that resulted from contact and swipes at the goaltender. The referees were instructed to protect the goalies.

In hindsight, Lee will replay this situation over and over in his mind. He will question, if only more patience was demonstrated with the whistle or perhaps if a speedy attack toward the net following Price's apparent save might have provided a different outcome on the play. Hindsight is 20/20. Below is the perspective and visual image that the referee had the instant he blew his whistle a lengthy distance from the net.

carey-price-freezing-the-puck.jpg

The next couple of clicks of the camera lens would find the loose puck knocked past Price by a falling Jean-Gabriel Pageau after the play was blown dead.

This is not a reviewable play in spite of expanded authority extended this season to determine the legitimacy of potential goals under rule 38.4 (viii). The rule now includes situations whereby the Referee stops play or is in the process of stopping the play because he has lost sight of the puck and it is subsequently determined by video review that the puck crosses (or has crossed) the goal line and enters the net as the culmination of continuous play where the result was unaffected by the whistle (i.e., the timing of the whistle was irrelevant to the puck entering the net at the end of a continuous play).

While it might seem all too logical to assume that the quick whistle had no effect on what Price did (or did not do) in an to attempt to cover the puck, the separate and distinct action by Pageau to knock the puck into the net is not deemed to be a "continuous play" in the application of this review process. Conversely, if the puck had continued to slide on a path toward the net after Price attempted to stop the initial shot, and the puck subsequently crossed the goal line after the referee had blown his whistle, only then could it be determined a legal goal through video review! That is the definition of a "continuous play".

Referee Brad Watson saw that the puck was uncovered from his position on the open side near the blue line but was helpless to communicate that information with his partner until after the whistle had been blown. The whistle signals an end to the play (other than a continuous play as described above) and both Referees had no other recourse than to disallow the potential Senators goal. It was a tough miss and certainly impacted the game.

Something that is being discussed is for the Officials to utilize audio devices similar to those worn by World Cup soccer Officials to communicate with each other as the play continues. We had a presentation at training camp in 2009 from the company that manufactures these devices and tested them during scrimmages at camp. They certainly have some merit. Had they been in place on Sunday night, Watson would have surely squawked into his microphone that the puck was loose knowing that his partner was not in a position to see it.

Along with expanded video review and coach's challenge next season the Officials just might be wired for sound as well.

Definitely a human error, but the game should move into the 21st century and make all goes review able, at least in the playoffs.

I get it Sys, I already mentioned the Ref lost sight and understand why it was blown dead... no need to explain. Also it was a high stick and should've been blown dead, this was clear in the post-game replay. They were missed calls human error whatever. However they were two key moments that directly affected the score and result of the game. Bottom line Montreal couldn't have benefited, been luckier or more fortunate. If this was reversed and resulted in the Habs being eliminated instead of the Sens...city of Montreal would be up in flames right now.

I feel like we're on the same page, Sens got screwed. But the fact that goals are not uniformly reviewed are inhibiting the game. At least in the playoffs.

Agreed...just get it right when it comes to a key / scoring moments. kind of like MLB, I don't like reviewing everything, but review wether the ball hit the foul pole or not on a potential HR.. this directly affects the score.

Also it was a high stick and should've been blown dead, this was clear in the post-game replay.

First of all Methot looked at the ref for the high stick. And obviously the refs saw what gallagher did and where the puck hit him, it was clear it was his shoulder. CBC's broadcast team said it was a good goal as well as the majority of broadcast teams

The high stick that everyone is talking about is the high stick to knock the puck down in montreal's zone by Markov which led to the goal about a minute later. That was probably missed, but the puck wasn't even in the Ottawa zone, but whatever though.

It's not like Montreal didn't get screwed during the series either, the refs basically tried to give the Sens game 1 and had about twice as many powerplays throughout the series.

But whatever it's done. It's not like Montreal has never been "screwed" in the playoffs. I call this karma from two years ago lol

Kronwall suspended for game 7 while Palat gets away with a worse hit to Glendenin or Datsyuk getting butt-ended in the head.

load of shit.

Yeah I was watching that hit. A penalty should have been called on the ice but suspension is over the line. It's playoff time and worse things has been going on.

Kronwall is a goon and it's shocking he hasn't been suspended earlier.

:lol:

Kronwall is known to be a hard hitter, but he has always been clean. Never left his feet, never targeted the head, and it really speaks to how clean his hits are that the only one ever injured from them was Havlat.

I feel like historically, Kronwall is a borderline hard hitting player that steps into boundaries that are suspendable. People are more upset with consistency than him being guilty, so that speaks to the refs more than anything. I bet major PP/penalty changes coming for the off season.

This is going to be fun to watch Habs/Lightning once again. Obviously not a sweep this time, but I'm going to say Habs in 6 or 7. Mainly because Price is going to steal a bunch of games lol.