Sneap forum Dio tribute album thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna set mine as real names for the artist and backstage metal: various artists as the "Album Artist"..

ie: S. Mahood, J. Constantine, M. Morton, P. Carter, T. Woyen, etc... for "Stars"

- P

EDIT: Still trying to work out who did what in real names, it's hard to do w/o screennames haha! Does anyone have a full list? Like of Real Names to Screen Names

I just noticed something strange in the mastered versions of Heaven And Hell, Dream Evil and We're Stars (because I mixed them)... the drums sound mono (?). I don't know if that's even possible (probably with M/S tools) but all the toms and cymbals sound like they are panned center. I can hear it very clearly in Heaven And Hell because it sounds like the drums shift from stereo to mono at 0:04!

Does anybody else notice this? BTW I'm listening to the mp3s, I couldn't manage to download the wavs.

Actually, yeah, the drums do shift to mono at 0:04, I can clearly hear that in Heaven and Hell now that you mention it. Mp3 here too, can someone check the wavs?

Solved! Give me one day to check all the tracks attentively and I'll reupload the whole pack in wav and mp3.
Which server do you propose? Not dropbox.

I did the gentle transient shaping on some tracks, lacking the general drums attack. And somehow I moved the automation to the wrong place of the mastering session. Overworked, sorry for that.

Downloading :D

EDIT: Okay the drums still sound mono in Heaven And Hell and Dream Evil but I guess it's okay because that gives the rhythm guitars more room. The drums in We're Stars are not mono on the new one but the rhythm guitars have gone down lol! So... I vote for Heaven And Hell and Dream Evil from the new master and We're Stars from the old.

Sorry for the inconvenience Max, I feel like a jerk 'cause I'm the only one complaining!

Also I think all download links should be taken off and PM'd to the people involved, just so they're not downloaded by people visiting the forum, til we decide what to do with the album.

EDIT: Come to think of it... this and all Dio Tribute song threads should be locked and made private, wayyy too many files floating around.

My only real beef was the lick I played at the end of Rainbow In The Dark that syncs in with the bass/synth is mixed fairly low (almost in audible)....

...and Jason ripped me a new asshole in the solo section of Stars.. I really wish I had time to do another take on that.. :D

after some close listens I recognized some strange phasing on holy diver...maybe due to different mid channel and side channel treatment?
Sounds a bit strange, especially on the overheads

Sorry, gentlemen! I've been away buried in tracking/mixing bands and solving all sorts of questions regarding my upcoming album:)
I'll be in such a state today and tomorrow and then I'll fix Superfreak's tracks!

Sarj! Not a problem at all, man! In fact, I'm really wondering what's happening since I haven't used anything fancy to master those tracks. It's a mystery to me how such a disbalance could happen - I just did some eq-ing and clipping + limiting on the tracks. Probably, taking away some narrow regions of mid's made guitars in We're stars go down in volume, since they are midrangey there.

If it can wait till Friday, I'll fix Dream Evil, Heaven and Hell and We're Stars with the most attention to guitars balance and drums stereofield.

Cheers!:)

after some close listens I recognized some strange phasing on holy diver...maybe due to different mid channel and side channel treatment?
Sounds a bit strange, especially on the overheads

Hmmm, I actually did not treat m and s separately there, the track is nicely balanced transient-wise, but I will check carefully. Also, all the routing is done by groups, so I did not duplicate tracks, thus creating a risk of latency issues. No plugins on m or s that could cause latency issues, as well.

I'll check. Could you please describe that phasing in details?

Hmmm, I actually did not treat m and s separately there, the track is nicely balanced transient-wise, but I will check carefully. Also, all the routing is done by groups, so I did not duplicate tracks, thus creating a risk of latency issues. No plugins on m or s that could cause latency issues, as well.

I'll check. Could you please describe that phasing in details?

its mostly on the left china I think, ie 1:15-16 and the few chinas following ~1:19
when I think about it, I think I had it on the right side...
checked, yeah somethings gone strange with the stereo image too...
maybe I fucked it up tho? I dont have the files I sent you anymore to check that...

Status
Not open for further replies.