The Most Universally Respected Bands (among metalheads)

New Hampshire sucks ball too... only good thing is we're close to boston whic helps in going to see alot of kik ass bands that tour through there

I haven't heard much of them, but Scenes From a Memory had some fucking incredible songs, so I'd have to disagree with you all.

i think it's more to do with their lack of compositional power and their general gayness

You must not play any instruments, therefore you don't realize how dedicated you have to be in order to be that technically proficient as well as being able to write a good technical songs & make all the parts fit & be memorable. "Awake" is one of my personal favorite albums of all time. I put it in my CD player a few weeks ago after not listening to it in over a year & it almost couldn't find it's way out. Not a note out of place & very reserved on the shredding. I suggest you listen to it one day. I forgive you for your terribly wrong assumption though as everyone makes mistakes, especially on the internets.

Yeah, as much as I like all the old Dream Theater stuff they definitely are not one of the most well respected bands obviously. As it stands a lot of the folks who rag on good bands have the most ridiculous reasons for hating them & their comments rarely hold any water. My drummer is even not particulary liking of them overall yet he thinks "Awake" is a great album & he likes some of "Images & Words".

You must not play any instruments, therefore you don't realize how dedicated you have to be in order to be that technically proficient as well as being able to write a good technical songs & make all the parts fit & be memorable.
It sure is, maybe that's why DT doesn't succeed in doing it.