The Official Food Thread

Carne adovada - a pork chili with guajillo, ancho, and chipotle peppers:
aPm62tN.jpg

Haven't heard of that before, I did a wikipedia search, so this is your typical chili sauce with some vinegar and cilantro, with pork instead of beef? That sounds pretty damn good!

My Dad gave me some 00 flour when I visited him at Fair Oaks, so I made pizza napoletana; here's one topped with sausage, broccoli rabe, and garlic:
j9rY96I.jpg

There is a bit of sad news to report, however. Tonight, the pizza stone broke. While one of the pizzas was baking, I heard a crash whose source I could not identify, so I thought nothing of it. That is, until I opened the oven and saw the horrid truth:

RgzbElm.jpg

Thankfully, this didn't render it inoperable for the time being, as there was plenty of space left for a pizza.

My Dad gave me some 00 flour when I visited him at Fair Oaks, so I made pizza napoletana; here's one topped with sausage, broccoli rabe, and garlic:
j9rY96I.jpg

There is a bit of sad news to report, however. Tonight, the pizza stone broke. While one of the pizzas was baking, I heard a crash whose source I could not identify, so I thought nothing of it. That is, until I opened the oven and saw the horrid truth:

RgzbElm.jpg

Thankfully, this didn't render it inoperable for the time being, as there was plenty of space left for a pizza.

I've had nothing but bad luck with pizza stones, they all break for me. Wish I knew what I was doing wrong to correct it, I'm thinking of going and getting one of those heavy duty steel ones and see how they do.

20hn4v5.jpg

My attempt at the carl's jr spicy chicken sandwich, I love that burger. I added some cayenne pepper to the chicken patties to give it the heat. This tasted really spot on to carl's, pretty happy with this.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
That's a nice piece of wood ya got there, Swat

The other day I made this pan roasted center cut pork roast. It turned out okay but not spectacular. Pork is always iffy for me...I either nail it, or it comes out dry. This time it was half and half. The roast fell apart down the middle, so the thinner side was good, but the thicker side was meh. Anyway, had some leftovers today for lunch and took a few slices and threw em in my cast iron with some vegetable oil and basically sort of pan fried them. Had it with some apple sauce. MUCH better

Reactions: SWAT and CiG
Yes its a bit different. Not sure if gamey is the word im looking for, but its definitely darker and has its own taste. A lot of bones but the meat is delicious though. One of the tastiest poultry meats around.

I guess I would describe it as a stronger poultry flavor, if that makes sense. Chicken is very neutral, turkey even has a stronger taste, duck and quail etc even more so, especially if hunted wild.

Quail is definitely fantastic and my biggest problem is that I can sit and eat 2 or 3 of them. A couple tall boys and you're eating like a king.

Now I want to try some Quail, wish I knew where to buy some, lol

Worst case scenario, my Kroger carries frozen quail in a small speciality section of the freezer.

They're hunted here, not exactly the most common thing in the woods though.

It's actually fairly lame the only animals that can be hunted year round here are.... Less than desirable meat sources.