The Official Food Thread

fuck yea i go to shinsengumi all the time.

never been to canters, what's good there?

Literally everything there is good, man. They have a bomb-ass bakery and their fucking sandwiches are amazing :kickass:

It's in the Fairfax district.

^^^ those porkchops up there look delicious!

Didn't we have a cheese thread? But yeah, picked up some Dubliner yesterday, i fucking love this cheese ...

Kerrygold-Dubliner-Cheese.jpg

From a few days ago ...
CIMG3745_zpso7ky7a5p.jpg

Grandma has been staying over at our house, she's whipping up some delicious Uzbek Plov for tonight. :)

... that actually looks kind of like a plain Armenian chicken BBQ/"khorovats" plate (some call it kabab, but we only refer to the long ground beef skewer pieces as kabab/kebab). But the BBQ'd tomato would be much softer than what in the above pic. I throw a few skewers on the grill at least once a week.

What i had was pork. + plain white rice with the tomatoes steamed and softened up on top of the rice.

ASF, Uzbek Plov is rice with all kinds of goodies in it including thinly sliced meat, mushroom, onions, carrots, bellpeppers, etc. It's traditionally made with lamb but we usually do it with chicken, or sometimes no meat at all, which is still delicious.

Has anyone ever butterflied a whole chicken to cook on the grill? Tonight was my first time. It's a bit like carving a blood eagle with a bone-biting sword (or kitchen shears, if you have them). This is done Greek-style, with lemon, garlic, and oregano:
GkXilyF.jpg

RxKKGtH.jpg

KHFTvg0.jpg

QRAc0bT.jpg

Here are some lemon garlic potatoes to accompany the bird:
0fFyiF7.jpg

Knorr pasta sides are a guilty pleasure of mine. But that's not real cooking, this is:

E8IcK4t.jpg

Steak pinwheels stuffed with cremini mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, and Swiss cheese.

I came up with my own stuffing, but I was following a general guide on making pinwheel steaks, since I had never done so before.

made this last night...

dZy8sDn.jpg

Cast iron seared and then roasted duck legs in a red wine sauce with carrots. First time cooking duck. Used herbs from my "garden" (pot on the kitchen counter). Turned out bomb

yeah. I have a love/hate relationship with duck. It's so good, but it's so goddamn fatty and greasy. I made a mirepoix of bacon and shallots for the skillet and totally didn't need it...the fact the bacon was almost entirely fat didn't help either (well it did, but not nutritionally).

Also bought some veal stew meat yesterday. Need to wait for winter to bust that out though