The Official Food Thread

Question for meat eaters:
Who here buys locally farmed ethical meat vs unethical factory farmed store bought super-market meat? (fast food counts)

or who here hunts their meat and kills humanely?

Do you even give a shit?, if so, why? if not, why? etc.

I'm not asking to make any judgements. I'm just looking for a consensus from all the forums and social networks I frequent.

I buy cheap factory farmed meat because it's seriously ~$5/pound cheaper. I buy slightly more expensive (cage free, organic, local) eggs but the price difference with meat isnt worth it.

Lunch: chicken, beet/black bean/eggplant salad and a shitload of cottage cheese.

So you don't care about the ethical treatment of the animal and/or the health issues, correct?

Again, just to be clear, I'm refraining from judgement.

I try to buy local and organic if possible, especially when dealing with the "dirty dozen" of fruits and vegetables. I like taking things from the ground up but haven't gone so far as to slaughter and butcher the animal yet. I feel better that I do know exactly where the meat came from and how it was raised.

So you don't care about the ethical treatment of the animal and/or the health issues, correct?

Again, just to be clear, I'm refraining from judgement.

I eat meat.

My understanding is, is that even though there are factories/farms/what have you. They are killing the animals more humanely than has been done in the past.

This is not based on any fact though, I am simply assuming that is the case. Either way as the poster above stated, I am so far removed from the factory/farm that it's as the saying goes "out of sight, out of mind".

I also believe that it is in our nature to eat meat, it is a very natural thing for animals/humans to eat. Yes, it does mean killing sometimes an intelligent animal (Pig for Ex.) but this is the nature of life. We are omnivore, and by nature we eat both plant and animal, to deny one or the other is to deny the natural way our species eats.

Since I did not grow up on a farm, it would be very difficult to see the slaughter of an animal, however if I had lived on a farm I'll bet it wouldn't faze me much.

I think, and this is not directed at you, that a lot of people who are against eating meat, simply do not like the fact that the animals die, and some die in pain. This in my opinion is a hard natural fact of life, that only until recent times has been accepted as normal.

Humans for however long we have been on this planet, have been eating meat, it is in our nature to do so, this is why I still eat meat. Other than it being just super amazing and awesome tasting.

As you stated above, I'll state the same as well, I'll refrain from any judgement. This is an explanation, and honestly I never really gave it to much thought until now.

dad and I had steak nuggets (chicken nuggets but steak... duh)
cabbage
sauteed mushrooms

It has been 3 hours and I've already shit my brains out. I ate an enormous amount of cabbage and mushrooms.
I need to start eating just one helping of cabbage. but I cant help it, so good!

I had the most incredible deep fried buffalo and bleu cheese burger last night. Will post pics once I upload.

I made St. Louis-style pizza tonight. I haven't mastered the art of pizza dough in general; specifically, getting it into the oven without deforming it.

If you're gonna be lazy, then I'll be lazy too and just copypaste from Wikipedia:

Crust
The thin, cracker-like round crust is made without yeast, as opposed to a deep dish Chicago-style pizza or the thin but leavened New York-style pizza. The crust of a St. Louis pizza is somewhat crisp and cannot be folded easily so the pizza is typically cut into three- or four-inch squares or rectangles instead of the pie-like wedges typical of many pizza styles. This may be done to better-support the toppings, as the square shape can support the toppings better than wedge slices. Some local restaurants make their pizzas rectangular rather than round. St. Louis pizza is cut into squares and is referred to as party or tavern cut. According to local legend, Ed Imo was a tile layer and cut his pizza accordingly.

Cheese
St. Louis-style pizza often, but not always includes a white processed cheese known as Provel. One St. Louis restaurant intentionally announces that Provel is not used on their pizzas. Provel is a trademark for three cheeses fused to form one (provolone, Swiss, and white Cheddar), used instead of (or, rarely, in addition to) the mozzarella or provolone common to other styles of pizza. Provel cheese was developed by the St. Louis firm Costa Grocery in the 1950s and is made in Wisconsin primarily for the St. Louis market. The cheese is not widely available outside the St. Louis area but can be made by combining Swiss, sharp cheddar and smoked provolone cheeses.

Sauce
The sauce is often seasoned with more oregano than other pizza types. Despite its thin crust, St. Louis-style pizza can be layered deeply with many different toppings because of the sturdiness of the cracker-like crust. Some of the sauces have a sweetness to them, which is likely due to the influence of Sicilian immigrants upon Italian foods in St. Louis.

wing burger

11739_954980414515_1782512115_n.jpg

542636_954980504335_2057135637_n.jpg

That burger looks tasty. Last night I made a Winterfell dinner of roast "aurochs":
149495_10100502670865624_1032508597_n.jpg

Armoured turnips (like a medieval au gratin):
72966_10100502670915524_218772732_n.jpg

The food on the plate:
285277_10100502670870614_1228375322_n.jpg

This photo didn't come out that well, as it gives the appearance of a glistening sheen over the food, but it shows the leeks and carrots that were roasted with the aurochs.

This thread is absolute genius. The roast looks amazing. Yum.

Tonight's dinner is pizza cupcakes made with homemade garlic and parmesan dough. Really simple and easy. The "personal pizza" was a failed cupcake.

2h5m90y.jpg

13078_956743785705_602080104_n.jpg

key lime pie

535725_956745522225_644451468_n.jpg

snapper

65501_956747707845_199118541_n.jpg

smushed grilled chicken w/plantains and onions. I wish we had decent Latin food up here, grumble grumble