The Official Movie Thread

Hellraiser looked like a SyFy original. Fuck the main character too. Wanted her to die so bad. But the painfully obvious agenda attached to that turd wouldnt let her I guess.

You might as well check out All Hallows' Eve (2013) to see Art the Clown's debut.

Glad I chose to check out Terrifier for my wife has gone to bed Halloween movie last night instead of Hellraiser lol. I've heard nothing but bad things. Terrifier was a damn good time, though. The kills were fantastic and David Howard Thornton's was hilarious and menacing as Art.

Hopefully I can find the time to check out 2 soon.

We watched Barbarian before she went to bed and had a pretty good time with that as well. I do agree that I wish we would've seen more of Richard Brake. Was excited when he showed up, but then left disappointed at how little it focused on his exploits. When you cast a character actor as talented as him for a role like this, I just want to see him let loose.

Reactions: CiG
For anyone that hasn’t watched Terrifier 2, if you have Amazon prime you can get a free week of Screambox and it’s featured on there in the US, so you can watch it for free.

I warned my wife ahead of time. At the end of the movie and I quote… she said, “thanks for the nightmares” after the credits scene

everything I wanted and more. Gonna buy a blu ray in support. Vicious unflinching brutality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bourbon
do agree that I wish we would've seen more of Richard Brake. Was excited when he showed up, but then left disappointed at how little it focused on his exploits. When you cast a character actor as talented as him for a role like this, I just want to see him let loose.
I also want to explore more of why he killed himself.
Apparently the director has completely written off any chance for a sequel or prequel though.

Reactions: Bourbon
I also want to explore more of why he killed himself.
Apparently the director has completely written off any chance for a sequel or prequel though.

until he decides he wants a paycheck and somebody offers him one.

lord-of-the-rings-fellowship-i11723.jpg

Caught sick so I figure now's as good a time as any to rewatch the trilogy for the first time in adulthood. (The last time I saw 'Towers and Return were in theaters... during the original theatrical run. 'Towers was the first movie I ever saw in a cinema.)

Yeah it's fucking miraculous obviously. First hour and a half (extended edition) is a bit slow but everything from the council at Rivendell and on is pure magic. Really excited to watch Two Towers soon because I don't remember the events of that film beat-for-beat like I do this one. The weirdest, most immersion-breaking part of it for me (besides the countless lines that have become internet memes) is that they keep referencing the Gregorian calendar, what the fuck is up with that?

My Schlocktober watchlist so far:

1. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
Super fun(ny) splattery slapstick horror that parodies and plays with a lot of tropes (the main characters are two hicks just trying to enjoy their new summer home as a group of cliché teens think they're trying to murder them).

2. Wolf Creek 2
Pleasantly surprised by how good this was. I have a tendency to avoid horror sequels and this was another time I was wrong. If you're not locked-in by the opening scene, you're dead inside.

3. Uzumaki (Spiral)
In some ways it's more unhinged than the manga due to the bipolar tone. The way it jumps from zany to creepy made me feel like I had brain damage.

4. Spree
2015 independent low budget black & white psychological thriller about a 19 year old guy with issues, who goes on a crime spree. Surprisingly good stuff! Almost has a The Driller Killer vibe. Always a shame when films like this go unnoticed.

5. Big Legend
Kinda sucked, but had some promise. I appreciated that the director wanted to do full practical effects, and was inspired by Predator and Jaws, but the execution was just so bland and surprisingly conventional. It needed a good injection of Larry Fessenden or something.

6. Slaughterhouse
80's hixploitation slasher about a pig farmer's deranged murderous brother. Obviously big on the humour and inspired by Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but ultimately kinda just by-the-numbers with nothing to really help it stand out. Not even very memorable kills or cool gore effects. Bargain bin horror for people who have seen everything worth seeing already.

7. I Drink Your Blood
Enjoyable grindhouse hippie exploitation. Not much else to say.

8. Werewolf by Night
The new MCU Halloween special, about an hour long, black & white. Surprisingly awesome, felt very fresh compared to the typical recent MCU stuff.

9. 31
Pretty fuckin' entertaining but at times Rob Zombie filmed the action like he's having a seizure. Shaky cam is legit the most annoying technique used in movies in the last two decades or so.

10. Significant Other
A relationship dramedy masquerading as Invasion of the Body Snatchers masquerading as an allegory for mental health issues. Not bad, but not really for me I guess. Nails the atmosphere pretty well.

11. The Devil's Candy
Dark, atmospheric slow-burning psychological horror with a metalhead aesthetic. Would make a fantastic double feature with Bliss. Sean Byrne rules, one of the few original Aussie genre directors out there, hopefully he directs again soon. Also would've been perfect for the current Movie Club theme.

12. Outpost
Pretty bonkers concept! Insane cast too. I love these hidden war/action/horror gems when I find them. Vibe-wise it's like Deathwatch meets Dog Soldiers or something. Gritty, simplistic, violent, creepy, all the good stuff.

13. Feast
Hilarious splatter/gross-out/action/horror flick with a lot of fun, creative practical effects. Definitely a beer & popcorn horror.

14. Halloween Ends
There's an interesting film in here somewhere (the Christine influence is cool), but it's just so disappointing as a Halloween movie.

15. Idle Hands
Slacker horror stoner comedy classic. Like a lost Kevin Smith movie. Love it, lots of nostalgia for me. I watch it most Octobers.

16. Bodies Bodies Bodies
Absolutely loved it. Satire out the ass. Has the vibe of if Janicza Bravo and Sofia Coppola collaborated on a murder mystery horror/thriller. Fuck TikTok.

17. Hellblock 13
Total cheesefest Troma anthology movie, but I love it. Well, the first short movie kinda sucks, but the one about the white trash couple and the one about the drug trafficking occult bikers both rule.

18. Abominable
Some truly abysmal acting and dialogue, but the old school SFX feel like pure 1980's, making it pretty enjoyable. Needed more cool kills though, doesn't really get brutal until the woman having a shower gets folded in half and pulled through a small window. Matt McCoy is particularly crap in this lol.

19. Pearl
Yeah a nice little homage to Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins etc mixed with deranged psychological horror. Mia Goth rules. Pretty keen to see what Ti West does with the third film, which will supposedly be set in 1985.

20. 28 Weeks Later
Last time I saw this was so long ago that it was before I knew who Jeremy Renner, Idris Alba and Imogen Poots were. Now it feels like a star-studded cast! Enjoyed it much more than I used to.

21. Ghosts of Mars
Fun cheesy action horror with a cool cast and gnarly antagonists. The movie that made John Carpenter ragequit Hollywood.

22. Terrifier
Kept seeing these movies around so I decided to finally check it out and it ruled. Loved the commitment to practical effects. Can't wait to watch the first movie and the recent sequel. Good shit, fuck CGI.
This was the first time I've ever finished the 31 horror movies in October challenge thing. Usually I burn out around 15 or so. Anyways here's the rest:

23. Wer
Had potential but eventually vanishes into cheap shitty CGI territory pretty hard.

24. Terrifier 2
Utterly unhinged sequel that mixes coming-of-age drama, ultra-splatter, sadistic horror, supernatural horror, and a fuckin' fantasy style hero's journey! Amazing soundtrack, a non-cringe strong female lead, the clown cafe scene definitely tested me but thankfully it was the only real weak moment. The way the film is structured reminded me of Scanners for some reason.

25. Barbarian
This was okay. Pretty creative, good cinematography and lighting. Way the fuck overhyped though. Richard Brake was underused.

26. Hellraiser (2022)
Generic soundtrack, shitty cast, poor sound mixing (loud af soundtrack, mumbled dialogue). I suppose the costume effects were cool though.

27. Charlie's Farm
Nathan Jones rules as Charlie (he's Rictus Erectus from Fury Road), the practical effects splatter is awesome, but everything else about this flick is quite bad. The soundtrack is especially awful at times. Most terrifying thing is that Charlie is humongous but moves fast as fuck. No lumbering Jason bullshit. He sprints at people like the fucking NFL.

28. The Lair
Neil Marshall's continued return to form. Some small crappy CGI moments aside, this was some pretty apeshit full on action splatter with practical effects monsters that tear people's faces off and limbs apart. Basically Dog Soldiers meets The Descent but set in an abandoned middle eastern ex-USSR bunker laboratory. Recommended for action horror fans.

29. Hiruko the Goblin
This was a rewatch, it had been ages. Didn't like it quite as much as I used to (sobering up has had an effect on how much I enjoy schlocky stuff and comedies unfortunately) but still a lot of fun, with some great visuals, awesome stop motion, and some gore. If I were to hazard a guess, Shinya Tsukamoto was very influenced by Evil Dead and Ghostbusters for this flick.

30. Planet Terror
Dumb fun. I'd forgotten how insanely over the top the splatter was, and how gross it all looks. Main thing that holds it back are all the shitty 70's grindhouse aesthetics slapped over the film. Stupid ass gimmick, fun movie.

31. Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich
Pretty unhinged and god damn entertaining. The story and acting was a bit shoddy but the VFX creativity and violence was amazing. :lol:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
I can't help but feel like a better director would've done Zahler's script more justice.

24. Terrifier 2
Utterly unhinged sequel that mixes coming-of-age drama, ultra-splatter, sadistic horror, supernatural horror, and a fuckin' fantasy style hero's journey! Amazing soundtrack, a non-cringe strong female lead, the clown cafe scene definitely tested me but thankfully it was the only real weak moment. The way the film is structured reminded me of Scanners for some reason.

This better be true because having just finished watching the first one number 2 is next on the list.

26. Hellraiser (2022)
Generic soundtrack, shitty cast, poor sound mixing (loud af soundtrack, mumbled dialogue). I suppose the costume effects were cool though.

I liked Hellraiser more than most people seem to.

I think when you watch a lot of movies, something as inoffensive and vanilla as the new Hellraiser hits you like a brick wall. I know a bunch of "normie" people who enjoyed it and most people I know who hate it are cinema autists. It's just a very conventional movie I suppose.

Ironically Terrifier 2 has been very divisive with everybody I know. Just don't take it too seriously lol.

Reactions: Slammed
I wouldn't say Hellraiser is going to be one of those movies I consider a classic, the original is a better movie, but I also didn't think it was as bad as many people I've talked to thought it was.

I laughed my arse off watching the first Terrifier

Yeah dialogue would have ruined him....just like it did the rest of the characters!!

I've seen Charlie's Farm, I liked the premise and I thought the location they shot in was great but don't think the executed it as well as they could. But still it had Tara Reid in is so it's not like it was ever going to be award winning!

I haven't seen Boar, but it's got an all star Aussie cast of people that wouldn't usually be in a horror movie. The similarities to Razorback probably would have put me off but having just watched the preview I think I have to find a copy.

His other two movies, Daddy's Little Girl and Come And Get Me look like some friendly violent fun too.

Yeah totally agree, Charlie's Farm had all the potential to be great but flopped. Boar is actually a lot better imo. Besides the great cast it just has so much good banter and the boar itself fucking rules. Also Nathan Jones actually plays a good guy for once and I love it lol.

Ernie Dingo has a few scenes and they're pretty much the best moments in the movie.

Reactions: Slammed
Chris seems like a bit of a sick puppy. The story of Daddy's Little Girl looks like it has some similarities to a story I wrote years ago.

He's definitely a lowbrow director haha. I've only seen those 2 though, I can't vouch for the rest. We need more good Aussie horror out there!

Yeah we need an industry that's willing to throw more money at horror movies rather than shitty romance movies or coming of age movies. We need some horror movie fans in parliment so that the ABC gets funding for horror movie or horror series!