The Official Movie Thread

Is that the newest Puppet Master? I cant remember. But if its the one I'm thinking that movie was mean as fuck! wasnt expecting that at all.

My Schlocktober watchlist so far:

1. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
Super fun(ny) splattery slapstick horror that parodies and plays with a lot of tropes (the main characters are two hicks just trying to enjoy their new summer home as a group of cliché teens think they're trying to murder them).

2. Wolf Creek 2
Pleasantly surprised by how good this was. I have a tendency to avoid horror sequels and this was another time I was wrong. If you're not locked-in by the opening scene, you're dead inside.

3. Uzumaki (Spiral)
In some ways it's more unhinged than the manga due to the bipolar tone. The way it jumps from zany to creepy made me feel like I had brain damage.

4. Spree
2015 independent low budget black & white psychological thriller about a 19 year old guy with issues, who goes on a crime spree. Surprisingly good stuff! Almost has a The Driller Killer vibe. Always a shame when films like this go unnoticed.

5. Big Legend
Kinda sucked, but had some promise. I appreciated that the director wanted to do full practical effects, and was inspired by Predator and Jaws, but the execution was just so bland and surprisingly conventional. It needed a good injection of Larry Fessenden or something.

6. Slaughterhouse
80's hixploitation slasher about a pig farmer's deranged murderous brother. Obviously big on the humour and inspired by Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but ultimately kinda just by-the-numbers with nothing to really help it stand out. Not even very memorable kills or cool gore effects. Bargain bin horror for people who have seen everything worth seeing already.

7. I Drink Your Blood
Enjoyable grindhouse hippie exploitation. Not much else to say.

8. Werewolf by Night
The new MCU Halloween special, about an hour long, black & white. Surprisingly awesome, felt very fresh compared to the typical recent MCU stuff.

9. 31
Pretty fuckin' entertaining but at times Rob Zombie filmed the action like he's having a seizure. Shaky cam is legit the most annoying technique used in movies in the last two decades or so.

10. Significant Other
A relationship dramedy masquerading as Invasion of the Body Snatchers masquerading as an allegory for mental health issues. Not bad, but not really for me I guess. Nails the atmosphere pretty well.

11. The Devil's Candy
Dark, atmospheric slow-burning psychological horror with a metalhead aesthetic. Would make a fantastic double feature with Bliss. Sean Byrne rules, one of the few original Aussie genre directors out there, hopefully he directs again soon. Also would've been perfect for the current Movie Club theme.

12. Outpost
Pretty bonkers concept! Insane cast too. I love these hidden war/action/horror gems when I find them. Vibe-wise it's like Deathwatch meets Dog Soldiers or something. Gritty, simplistic, violent, creepy, all the good stuff.

13. Feast
Hilarious splatter/gross-out/action/horror flick with a lot of fun, creative practical effects. Definitely a beer & popcorn horror.

14. Halloween Ends
There's an interesting film in here somewhere (the Christine influence is cool), but it's just so disappointing as a Halloween movie.

15. Idle Hands
Slacker horror stoner comedy classic. Like a lost Kevin Smith movie. Love it, lots of nostalgia for me. I watch it most Octobers.

16. Bodies Bodies Bodies
Absolutely loved it. Satire out the ass. Has the vibe of if Janicza Bravo and Sofia Coppola collaborated on a murder mystery horror/thriller. Fuck TikTok.

17. Hellblock 13
Total cheesefest Troma anthology movie, but I love it. Well, the first short movie kinda sucks, but the one about the white trash couple and the one about the drug trafficking occult bikers both rule.

18. Abominable
Some truly abysmal acting and dialogue, but the old school SFX feel like pure 1980's, making it pretty enjoyable. Needed more cool kills though, doesn't really get brutal until the woman having a shower gets folded in half and pulled through a small window. Matt McCoy is particularly crap in this lol.

19. Pearl
Yeah a nice little homage to Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins etc mixed with deranged psychological horror. Mia Goth rules. Pretty keen to see what Ti West does with the third film, which will supposedly be set in 1985.

20. 28 Weeks Later
Last time I saw this was so long ago that it was before I knew who Jeremy Renner, Idris Alba and Imogen Poots were. Now it feels like a star-studded cast! Enjoyed it much more than I used to.

21. Ghosts of Mars
Fun cheesy action horror with a cool cast and gnarly antagonists. The movie that made John Carpenter ragequit Hollywood.

22. Terrifier
Kept seeing these movies around so I decided to finally check it out and it ruled. Loved the commitment to practical effects. Can't wait to watch the first movie and the recent sequel. Good shit, fuck CGI.

Most people I know do the 31 days of horror thing in October. This is like the least autistic thing I've ever done.

art-the-clown-terrifier.gif

Edit: Also clearly you've never watched any Packard.

Last edited:
zPanmbKQxDOdmNr6Uy82y2wsUhc.jpg

One of the more unheralded Cronenbergs. As a melodrama (which it most definitely is) it doesn't quite work, as I didn't buy into the romance at all, but it still manages to introduce the usual kink and identity crises we've come to expect. As far as Cronenberg's theatrical adaptations go, I prefer Venus in Furs but this is still worth a watch.

Last edited:
Watched "Triangle of Sadness" yesterday and found it highly enjoyable, especially the ending of the second part (the movie is divided into three parts). If we should get to the poll for 2022, this will be most likely my no. 1.

Reactions: CiG
Terrifier 2 was fucking unhinged.

I may have to pirate this. Closest cinema playing it is an hr away and it’s two hours long. Big time investment and it’s in a college town. And I’d have to go alone because my wife won’t see it. Blah.

Has anyone watched Deadstream?

I went into it blind and at first I was annoyed with it but then it becomes this goofy tribute to Evil Dead. I’ve watched it three times now. Fun slapstick with practical gore and grossness everywhere

Also for me Hellraiser was the worst of the big three horror sequels this year.

TCM was stupid but it was funny and had a good soundtrack.

Halloween Ends is a very bad movie and makes the one with Busta in it look good by comparison.

but the new Hellraiser was insultingly bad and the people that like it are just happy that Pinhead was played by a tranny.

also watched Barbarian, which was awesome. Told my wife I would have been fine. Would have sucked deformed giant lady’s nipples all she wanted. Do feel like there was some more story there than what we got. Maybe we’ll get a sequel.

annnd also watched The House Jack Built. It was mean and all but it wasn’t really very gorey or interesting. At least I didn’t have to see Willem Dafoe get his junk crushed in this one.

Last edited:
also watched Barbarian, which was awesome. Told my wife I would have been fine. Would have sucked deformed giant lady’s nipples all she wanted. Do feel like there was some more story there than what we got. Maybe we’ll get a sequel.
I felt the same way. For the most part I enjoyed it, but personally I think Richard Brake was underused. If they plan to do a sequel hopefully it focuses more on his exploits leading up to the events of the first film.

Deadstream sounds cool, I'll check that out.

The coolest discovery for me so far as been the Terrifier films, especially part 2. The director took the formula of part 1 and injected a huge dose of Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors influence, as well as just 80's fantasy in general. It's like a legit horror epic with a (heroic) coming-of-age tale at its centre. He was unhinged enough to pull it off somehow.

The new Hellraiser was generic vanilla garbage. Utterly faceless trash.