The Official Movie Thread

Just finished watching The Mirror for the second time in two days. It was strangely my first experience with Tarkovsky, and I can already tell he will become one of my favorite directors. I'm sure I missed a few things that I'll have to look into and/or think more about, but I really felt that the atmosphere of nostalgia and lost memories was pulled off in a very sincere and visceral fashion, especially during the second half of it.

This was also my first movie I received via Netflix, which I am very happy to have now.

tarkovsky is just ridiculous, i don't think anyone really compares to him in terms of extracting pure poetry from the visual medium.

I've heard similar things from a large number of people, and I could definitely see how one reaches that conclusion. I felt like I was doing myself a great disservice by searching for strange metaphors and items of symbolism instead of simply being absorbed by the various landscapes. The use of wind against plants really stood out to me throughout the whole film.

Saw Blood Feast, and it's pretty easily the best Herschell Gordon Lewis film out there. Also saw The Magnificent Seven, pretty solid western, but being that Seven Samurai is quite possibly my favorite movie of all time, I couldn't help but compare it and constantly notice where it fell short.

Also just discovered a DVD rental store here in Chicago that specializes in obscure movies that even Netflix doesn't carry, so I'm looking forward to checking out even lesser known movies.

Didn't Ennio Morricone score a bunch of Dario Argento films? Cause he is basically the best composer of all time.

Didn't Ennio Morricone score a bunch of Dario Argento films? Cause he is basically the best composer of all time.

he did a few early 70's dario, but not sure who does it..but he has some sweet bands playing. the scenes in opera with the music were almost perfect..

Dario Argento is a director I've been meaning to check out for a long time now, but it seems there's always other stuff to watch that takes priority.

there's a few of his masters of horror movies on instant netflix if you're ever bored, ive seen Jenifer and pelts both ok but nothing really all that awesome...cant really do a good horror in an hour anyways imo.

but if you havent started, Suspiria is probably his best cinematography film i'd say. but anything past that into the 80s is great. I have like 3-4 movies to see from his 70s-80s era to finish his good stuff. Opera, Tenebrae, Phenomena are just awesome.

For me it's more a matter of time than it is a matter of availability. My netflix instant watch queue is over 300 now and growing. There's simply too many movies out there for me to see.

i don't like wes anderson much, if i wanted to watch a guy giving himself a really quirky blowjob id just browse my hentai collection

and yeah my lovefilm queue reached like 700 at one point but i had to cancel my account 'cause i couldn't afford it