The Official Movie Thread

Saw Lola Rennt just now. Awesome, surprises at every turn.

Good movie. :)

Yesterday I saw Repo! The Genetic Opera. Overall, I thought it was an o-k movie, perhaps worth watching but because it's rather unique but it's certainly nothing special. I was a bit disappointed, I don't think it lives up to the hype. The musical aspect of it could have been better.

watched 'the treasure of the sierra madre' again earlier, best film of the '40s i think

Great film but that's a big call, best film of the 40s.

You'd put it ahead of all of the following?
Double Indemnity
The Red Shoes
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
The Maltese Falcon
His Girl Friday
A Brief Encounter
The Third Man

and that's just those I can think of off the top of my head

i haven't seen nearly enough '40s films to make that kind of judgment, i admit, i was just excited. but yeah, i'd put it ahead of double indemnity, casablanca, citizen kane, the maltese falcon, the third man. i like or love all of those but, hell, any film that has humphrey awesome bogart saying "get off your soapbox, you just sound foolish out here in this wilderness" is gonna take some beating for me. that film is savage and unhinged man, it's a total animal, i can't think of many films i love that aren't clearly indebted to it.

so according to IMDB, Todd Field is now the man in charge of the film adaptation of Blood Meridian. He's the writer and director. I haven't heard of any of his other work aside from an episode of Carnivale he directed. should be interesting

and no cast has been announced

Has anyone seen Gummo? It might be of interest to metalheads since it has music by Burzum, Bathory, Absu, Nifelheim, Mortician and Betlehem. I think it was ten years since i saw it, and it isn't really that good, but still kinda fun since it's so weird. Among other things the main characters buy sex from a retarded prostitute.

Yeah, I've seen Gummo. Actually, the only reason I ever watched it was because I read a review of the soundtrack in Metal Maniacs years ago. Yeah, the soundtrack is good, but the movie is, well, just sort of a weird novelty but not a very compelling piece of cinema.

Also, I finally saw Mongol. I thought it was good but it was a bit hard to get engaged with because the story jumped around a bit too much. It was good but I was expecting moar EPIC battles.

Oh and I also watched Conan the Barbarian last night for the thousandth time and I have determined that it is the most metal movie of all time, hence the most badass.

Saw The Squid and the Whale. I thought it was pretty good. Really just a look at a pathetic highly educated family going through a divorce in the mid 80's. There was some pretty funny stuff, some real touching stuff and some pathetic stuff. A real slice of American pie, I suppose. I really love the title, and its origin within the movie.

so according to IMDB, Todd Field is now the man in charge of the film adaptation of Blood Meridian. He's the writer and director. I haven't heard of any of his other work aside from an episode of Carnivale he directed. should be interesting

yeah it's been saying that for a while. i don't know anything about him except that he was nick nightingale in eyes wide shut haha. 'in the bedroom' was supposedly good too, not seen though. i'm looking forward to 'the road' now

Saw The Squid and the Whale. I thought it was pretty good. Really just a look at a pathetic highly educated family going through a divorce in the mid 80's. There was some pretty funny stuff, some real touching stuff and some pathetic stuff. A real slice of American pie, I suppose. I really love the title, and its origin within the movie.

yeah I really liked that movie and agree with every bit of your post

If anyone would be kind enough to recommend me foreign films that I could find at Blockbuster, that would be cool. I am by no means a movie expert, but I do love good movies. Some of the ones I've already gotten from there are The Return, Antibodies, The Beat that My Heart Skipped, Man Bites Dog, and Sexy Beast. Any foreign movies that are relatively popular would be appreciated.

yeah it's been saying that for a while. i don't know anything about him except that he was nick nightingale in eyes wide shut haha. 'in the bedroom' was supposedly good too, not seen though. i'm looking forward to 'the road' now

Todd Field will do a better job than Ridley Scott. He directed a film called Little Children that was pretty controversial, dealing with themes of child molestation and such. I think he will be a more daring director than Scott.

If anyone would be kind enough to recommend me foreign films that I could find at Blockbuster, that would be cool. I am by no means a movie expert, but I do love good movies. Some of the ones I've already gotten from there are The Return, Antibodies, The Beat that My Heart Skipped, Man Bites Dog, and Sexy Beast. Any foreign movies that are relatively popular would be appreciated.

'The City of Lost Children' and 'Delicatessen' both by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

'Kairo', which is the original version of the thing that was made into 'Pulse', but it's completely different and utterly amazing.

Watched Tokyo Gore Police today. Basically was everything I was expecting it to be, and everything I had hoped Machine Girl would've been.

Watched Tokyo Gore Police today. Basically was everything I was expecting it to be, and everything I had hoped Machine Girl would've been.

So would you say it was much better than Machine Girl? I love gore but I really didn't like Machine Girl.

13 Tzameti