hellboy II **1/2
ghost town **1/2
hunger **1/2
slumdog millionaire 1/2*
tideland ***1/2
curious case of benjamin button *1/2
kiss kiss bang bang ***
repulsion ***1/2

Man you're a harsh critic. Not that I've seen most of those newer films but Repulsion is a classic.

I'll do the same but my recent views are mostly very very old films:

The Third Man (Carol Reed) ***
Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot (Jacques Tati) ***1/2
Bringing Up Baby (Howard Hawks) ****
The Big Heat (Fritz Lang) ****1/2
Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone) ****1/2
Four Rooms (Tarantino) **
Shivers (Cronenberg) **1/2
Week End (Jean-Luc Godard) ***
In the Heat of the Night ****
Le Salaire de la Peur (The Wages of Fear) (Clouzot) ****1/2

you're not insane

Paprika is such an awesome fucking movie. Really interesting concept pulled off with some top notch animation.

oh yeah man it's superb, satoshi kon is like my hero, he's the animated hitchcock+lynch. check out his first two 'perfect blue' and 'millennium actress', i like those even more - 'perfect blue' is basically an animated 'mulholland drive' and it came out 3 years earlier.

Glad you liked Gran Torino that much, awesome movie.

i laughed my ass off for the most part

I enjoyed Paprika, but I didn't find it as astoundingly original as some seem to. It fits pretty neatly within the conventions of a lot of feature length anime, but it is well executed and beautifully animated.

yeah, i really like paprika but i don't *love* it in the way i love the first two. i haven't seen his previous movie 'tokyo godfathers' yet although i've heard it's his worst.

could you recommend some good feature length animé? i'm not exactly an expert. i've been really wanting to see 'FLCL' and 'mind game' for some time.

I actually found Tokyo Godfathers to be a much, much better film than Paprika. It's not quite as visually flashy, but the narrative is much more coherent, and the story less of a genre cliche. I suspect it didn't go over as well with the otaku fanboys over here because it bucks the conventions in favor of old fashioned sentimental storytelling.

If I'm going to watch a more "conventional" movie anime, it might as well be Akira, which is still the genre landmark.

i share your view to an extent but i'd rather they didn't avoid modern conventions by just going back to also-worn sentiment. outright narrative cliché is no better than genre cliché.

for the record i find most animé incoherent, but find the chaos in satoshi kon's stuff (that i've seen) totally exhilarating.

On the anime movie subject, if you like Grave Of The Fireflies you should watch the movie Voices From A Distant Star, very beautiful and sad movie.

What would you say is the best Kurosawa movie? I've recently watched Ran and that movie was seriously good.

Watching Rome at the moment for the second time. Not a movie but it has the same kinda feel as one imo.

What would you say is the best Kurosawa movie? I've recently watched Ran and that movie was seriously good.

I'm not an expert on Kurosawa but Seven Samurai is a seriously amazing film. If you're looking for something a bit shorter then I'd also recommend Rashomon.

:zombie:

Has to be a typo.

no chance.

my top 5 kurosawas would be something like
1. ran
2. seven samurai
3. throne of blood
4. rashomon
5. high and low

still need to see yojimbo/sanjuro though, as well as kagemusha, hidden fortress, red beard etc.

and i *love* 'grave of the fireflies' so i'll definitely give that one a shot, cheers.