The Official Movie Thread

I saw The Wrestler yesterday. I liked it. It wasn't amazing, but the character performances, story and everything was done really well. It was a real departure for Darron Aronofsky, and he pulled it off, which, I think, is the mark of a talented director. One of my friends and I were talking about directors like Lynch, Cronenberg and Aronofsky who have a particular style or whatever need to step out of their comfort zones and direct movies unlike any of their others ("The Straight Story", Cronernberg's last two and "The Wrestler" respectively)...although cronenberg's last two flicks did have moments of his signature style.

anyway. the wrestler's a good movie

I might go and see The Wrestler this weekend. I just got out a bunch of movies from the video store; Bandits, Highlander, Million Dollar Baby, The Assassination Of Richard Nixon, In The Line Of Fire and Letters From Iwo Jima.

So I just watched Survive Style 5+.

I loved this movie! None of it made sense but it was awesome! The ending was so beautiful... Emotions get to me so much better when they're presented in a surreal manner. Tadanobu Asano was in it, I like that guy.

Watched The Invasion yesterday starring Nicole Kidman- thr latest remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It was godawful, with terrible acting and editing.

I'm not saying I like this movie, or that I don't like it. It is just one fucked up movie. I respect it for its artistic value and agree with the statement it represents.

irreversible.jpg

Btw, this movie is a good way to make your girlfriend dump you or make her realize that something about you is just not right...hahaha

Regardless its a movie atleast you should try to experience. Its pretty fucking brutal. The overall message this movie tries to put out there is how brutal rape is and why it should be taken seriously.

^ The picture didn't show up for me at first, so I spent several minutes trying to figure out what the hell movie you were referring to.

I was like, "Wait a minute... Underworld didn't have anything to do with brutal rape..."

Massacre Time a western by Lucio Fulci, I was rather bored with it, I much preferred his later western Four of the Apocalyse

Beyond Re-Animator the third film in the Re-Animator trilogy, I've heard a lot of criticism for this movie, but I rather enjoyed it. However it is definitely the weakest of the 3 films.

stuff i've seen in the last 3 or 4 weeks:
gran torino ***1/2
the reader *1/2
frost/nixon **
milk **
paprika ***1/2
flight of the red balloon ***
klass ***
still life ***1/2
paranoid park *
the wrestler ***1/2
encounters at the end of the world ***
hellboy II **1/2
ghost town **1/2
hunger **1/2
slumdog millionaire 1/2*
tideland ***1/2
curious case of benjamin button *1/2
kiss kiss bang bang ***
repulsion ***1/2

I haven't watched anything in almost a week or so. I've tried twice to sit down on a weeknight and watch 3-4 movies but I always end up drifting off into a nap about 30 minutes in. I suppose it would help if I slept more than 2-3 hours a night, but fuck me this shit is annoying and I would really like to be able to fix it.

Has anyone else had troubles like this before?

My favourite films are Police Story (Jackie Chan) and the 1989 version of The Punisher (With Dolph Lundgren). I'm also a fan of stuff like Conan, Masters of the universe etc.

Police Story is kickass.

Today I watched Ninja in the Dragon's Den. A Hong Kong film directed by Corey Yuen(The Transporter). It contained a lot of Japanese fighting styles, which was really awesome to see in a Hong Kong film since their choreography is often much more complex than in Japanese films. There was a stilts battle that was really kickass to watch, and a few bloody parts that I enjoyed. Lots of fun.

stuff i've seen in the last 3 or 4 weeks:
gran torino ***1/2
the reader *1/2
frost/nixon **
milk **
paprika ***1/2
flight of the red balloon ***
klass ***
still life ***1/2
paranoid park *
the wrestler ***1/2
encounters at the end of the world ***
hellboy II **1/2
ghost town **1/2
hunger **1/2
slumdog millionaire 1/2*
tideland ***1/2
curious case of benjamin button *1/2
kiss kiss bang bang ***
repulsion ***1/2

Do you have examples of what you would consider a 5* movie?