The Official Movie Thread

Can anyone recommend me some good films that are set in (or influenced by) Victorian or medieval eras. Not looking for any Hollywood films though.

Just watched My Name is Bruce, not his best work, but better than a lot of his recent stuff in my opinion. If you're a fan of Bruce Campbell you'll probably enjoy it. Very entertaining, but a lot of wasted potential.

Hancock - Dunno if it was the mood I was in but I liked this more than I thought I would.

Resident Evil: Degeneration - Was pretty good.

Night Watch - Some great special effects for the budget but I wish they would have fleshed out the characters a little better.

went and saw Coraline the other day in 3D. it was alright. I don't think I'd take young kids to go see it because some of the images are pretty intense...and there's one character with huge boobs. but the animation was really nice and the 3D wasn't nauseating.

went and saw Coraline the other day in 3D. it was alright. I don't think I'd take young kids to go see it because some of the images are pretty intense...and there's one character with huge boobs. but the animation was really nice and the 3D wasn't nauseating.

Just watched Sleepy Hollow. Probably one of Burton's best.
Christopher Walken is a bad ass. Its crazy seeing him in The Deer Hunter compared to Sleepy Hollow.

Just watched Dragon Inn (1967) a great and influential classic kung fu film. Great cinematography, good choreography for the time. Also watched Fulltime Killer a Johnny To film. I loved it just like all of Jonny To's films, and the characters were well developed, the cinematography was good, and the film was entertaining as hell.

Just watched Sleepy Hollow. Probably one of Burton's best.
Christopher Walken is a bad ass. Its crazy seeing him in The Deer Hunter compared to Sleepy Hollow.

Love the gore effects in Sleepy Hollow.

the edge of heaven ***
in bruges **1/2
happy-go-lucky **1/2
silent light **1/2
hard boiled ***1/2
tropic thunder **
man on wire ***
redbelt ***
rachel getting married **1/2

edit: out of FOUR you bunch of jackasses

I re-saw Winter Light a while ago and liked it alot better this time. First time I saw it I didn't think about it but the monolouge by the sexton at the end is almost like a second/alternate consensus of the story, depending on if you're affected by the monolouge or not. It's a pretty nice trick, because when you think about it you can't really tell if the pastor is affected by the sexton or not when he gives his second service in the end of the movie, so whatever you yourself feel is what he feels. Either he just settles in his loss of faith and decides to just get on with his work like a drone, or he has a renewed spirit and decides to continue doing what he after all believes is right. The second time i saw it the latter is what I felt, so in a way the movie can be uplifting instead of depressing. Anyone else think of it this way or is it just me?

Winter Light is one of my favorite Ingmar Bergman films. It's been a while since I've seen it, though, so I can't exactly give a good response to your comment

Just watched Imposter.

From reviews I thought it would suck but it turned out decent enough. Pretty much anything based on Philip K Dick's work has to be at least decent.