The Official Movie Thread

Ehh, Miller's Crossing is probably my least favorite of the coens brothers movies I've seen...I really like Gabriel Byrne, so I might give it another chance or two.

What would you guys say is their best? They seem to be full of good ideas, but I find something fake and insincere in their film-making and I never really got into them. I liked No Country best, I didn't like Blood Simple or Fargo and I actually didn't even finish watching The Big Lebowski.

I doubt it. I've read that they're combining the first two books into one film. It's impossible that they'll do a fair adaptation if they try and fit that much action and information into one film.

Haha, wtf. Okay, fuck this, they need to do 4 films if they're gonna do it.

Also the films would, to be really awesome like the books, need to be at least 15, probably 18 rated (R or whatever) and I bet they'd aim for a 12/PG thing for teh moneh.

I doubt if they could even fit all of the first book into one film. I mean, they would have to include the stories of each character as well as the main plot. I could see Hollywood doing something completely fucking stupid and omitting the whole frame story aspect, which would ruin the movie.

And it definitely needs to have a restricted rating. I mean, people get pulverized while in mid-coitus; you can't make a PG-13 movie like that.

Unless you're in France!123

The one thing France seems to have got right is their age ratings and shit for films, way more sensible than most countries. That and they've put out some pretty cool horror/gore films.

I just wanna see The Shrike owning people and the TREE OV PAIN.

What would you guys say is their best? They seem to be full of good ideas, but I find something fake and insincere in their film-making and I never really got into them. I liked No Country best, I didn't like Blood Simple or Fargo and I actually didn't even finish watching The Big Lebowski.

well the coens are mostly black satire so there's always gonna be something artificial there. check out 'the man who wasn't there', 'miller's crossing' and 'barton fink'. probably my 2nd, 3rd and 4th favourites after no country, although 'blood simple' is a part of that conversation too. i also recommend 'the hudsucker proxy' to everyone seeing as it seems to be almost completely ignored.

ugh at the simmons, that's fucking horrifying man. that's the guy who did the day the earth stood still, jesus christ. if anyone does that to erikson i will actually assassinate them. :(

edit: rofl that guy's also doing an adaptation of paradise lost. he's gonna make himself a lot of enemies methinks.

I'm starting to get really jazzed about James Cameron's Avatar that's supposed to be coming out in December. From the sounds of it, the film's going to be hugely epic and is supposed to revolutionize 3D filming and the experience of watching 3D movies.

I'm just glad Cameron's back to scifi movies...it seems to be his best suit

might be cool.

some other stuff i'm psyched for:
the road (obviously)
arrested development movie
in the loop
next harry potter
public enemies
that star trek prequel thing with simon pegg, looks amazing
the expendables (ahaha that cast)
terminator 4... sort of
coraline
up (new pixar)
where the wild things are
lovely bones (new peter jackson, looks interesting at least)
tree of life (...sort of, if it ever gets released. i have a strange relationship with malick)
doctor parnassus (new gilliam)
shutter island (new scorsese)
antichrist (new von trier)
tokyo sonata (k.kurosawa)
sherlock holmes (just 'cause it's robert downey jr haha)
the informant (new soderbergh)
the side of the truth (gervais)
nine (haha, sort of sort of)
the limits of control (new jarmusch)

there's also a donnie darko sequel haha. oh, and a new tarantino which will probably rule and annoy in equal parts.

the man who wasn't there

Forgot they made that, I really enjoyed it.

From the list above I'm pretty excited for Star Trek, The Road, T4 and Shutter Island. I think all of them are going to be pretty awesome. When the new ST was first anounced I was pretty doubtful but it seems like it might be awesome, doubt it will be as good as II though. Oh and Public Enemies should be pretty badass. Dillinger ftw.