The Official Movie Thread

2001: A Space Odyssey.

I know it's clichéd, but it's a fucking fantastic film.

One of my absolute favorites of all time. Just under Cool Hand Luke, Fight Club, and Watership Down (believe it or not).

I watched Funny People. Gay. Except for Adam Sandler's character telling people they have big dicks. That was lulz worthy.

The scene when he talks to his mother is so deep. My favorite line is when he says "Stop feeding off me!". It's how I feel some days with people I know. He's just a novelty. Something everyone wants to be, but he doesn't want to be him.

He is usually not THAT good. He's good, but he did something unbelievable in that movie. Fuck Citizen Kane. Very little touches the subtlety and depth within every moment of Cool Hand Luke and Paul Newman's deliverance. Even the ending was not cheesy or stupid. His smiling was exactly how he felt...at peace because at a certain point, nothing matters and everything is pain. In the end, everyone is gone. Hence his removing heads from parking meters...'just passin' the time'.

I'm loving the identification you have with that film. Very cool. It's really a great film that just gets overlooked; but you have an awesome grip on it. It's so much more intelligent than most people give it credit for.

Anyone remember this song from The Jungle Book? Fucking classic :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen Memories of Murder? I wanna know if this is worth ordering. It's pretty highly praised on IMDB
Yes. Fucking hell yes. I can't believe nobody ITT said anything.

Also see: The Host.

Currently I am anticipating Enter the Void. If you haven't seen I Stand Alone and Irreversible, I urge you to do so. Gaspar Noé is one of the best directors currently working.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love the jungle book, mostly for nostalgia but i still really enjoy watching it. also love ran, my favourite kurosawa.

my favourite kubrick movies are eyes wide shut and a clockwork orange, without a doubt. i'm not sure either is a good starting place mind you.

rewatched mccabe and mrs miller today, maybe the greatest revisionist western, a snowy grainy tone poem mourning the impossibility of heroism past & present in the new world. probably the most beautiful looking american film ever made (alongside days of heaven anyway), one of the most important ever made, one of the saddest ever made, with one of the best finales ever. i do think altman overuses cohen a bit, just like he overused the song in the long goodbye (which i love even more) - other than that his use of sound is magnificent though. the other annoying thing is the goddamned zooms, but hey, people liked that sort of thing in the late '60s and early '70s. other than that, what a wonderful director. warren beatty is fantastic too.

also watched antichrist (the new von trier) if i haven't already mentioned it, totally loved it. i think if i listed the top 5 most memorable moments i've seen this year, they'd practically all be from that film. saw straw dogs too which is also essential viewing, i like my peckinpah though, some (losers) don't. and finally, went to see the invention of lying, which was a bit disappointing, i'm worried that gervais is increasingly selling out atm.

I just recently heard about Antichrist (I don't keep up on things like this at all, hence the delay) and really want to get around to seeing it. I doubt any theaters around here will show it though, unfortunately.

Yeah -- I haven't yet seen District 9 or some of the other things currently in theaters, but Antichrist is easily the most striking film I've seen all year. Wasn't quite what I was expecting. Visually it was absolutely amazing.

I'm trying to think of what else I've seen this year that I even liked. Taken was very entertaining. Drag Me to Hell was kinda fun. I think that's about it. I'll have to see District 9, though. Oh, I almost forgot about the remake of The Last House on the Left -- I tend to hate horror film remakes as a rule (this Friday the 13th shit was a total abortion and Rob Zombie doesn't fucking understand Halloween, he's like some fanfiction writing idiot with a Hollywood budget), but I actually liked this one.

rewatched mccabe and mrs miller today, maybe the greatest revisionist western, a snowy grainy tone poem mourning the impossibility of heroism past & present in the new world. probably the most beautiful looking american film ever made (alongside days of heaven anyway), one of the most important ever made, one of the saddest ever made, with one of the best finales ever. i do think altman overuses cohen a bit, just like he overused the song in the long goodbye (which i love even more) - other than that his use of sound is magnificent though. the other annoying thing is the goddamned zooms, but hey, people liked that sort of thing in the late '60s and early '70s. other than that, what a wonderful director. warren beatty is fantastic too.

also watched antichrist (the new von trier) if i haven't already mentioned it, totally loved it. i think if i listed the top 5 most memorable moments i've seen this year, they'd practically all be from that film. saw straw dogs too which is also essential viewing, i like my peckinpah though, some (losers) don't. and finally, went to see the invention of lying, which was a bit disappointing, i'm worried that gervais is increasingly selling out atm.

I've never seen McCabe and Mrs. Miller. I need to watch that. I also really want to see Antichrist, but lots of the things I've read about it weren't very flattering.

I also really want to see Antichrist, but lots of the things I've read about it weren't very flattering.
Most of the unflattering stuff is coming from idiotic critics like those who demanded Lars von Trier "justify" having made this film mostly because of a couple of genital mutilation scenes. The emotional content throughout is also very unpleasant. It's still an excellent film. And I'm not even really a von Trier fan.