The Official Movie Thread

Can someone please recommend me movies similar to most of Kevin Smith's work (Clerks I & II, Mallrats, etc.) but not his work?

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest must be one of the most overrated movies ever. The movie doesn't even come close to the greatness of the book, especially because you don't get the story from the Chief's perspective. Take the boat trip as an example, in the book that is such a powerful event, a point where they go through a fantastic release. In the movie it's just presented so trivial and bland, and doesn't really say anything at all.

Terminator: Salvation - Just based on what I had heard, I was ready to hate this movie but I thought it was pretty cool. The sound and picture on Blu was insane. Yeah, there was some cheese to it but all in all, I liked it.
Just watched for the second time (first in the theater)
Really enjoyed it. dont care about the cheese. Still good.
and is it me, or did they make the T-800 extra evil looking. god that's cool!!!

Inglourious Basterds - I'm a Tarantino fan so I really liked this one. Who else can do a movie about Nazi's and still slip in a badass Bowie song?
Amazing, Amazing, Amazing fucking movie. Cant wait to get that on Blu ray.

I feel personally insulted that Hollywood is remaking Let The Right One In. Ok if it came out in the 40's, but you don't remake a movie that's one fucking year old.

the road is getting *very* mixed reviews in my experience, splitting a lot of people who usually agree. i'm expecting not to like it too much but i hope i do.

I've been told The Road was butchered, mainly due to the inclusion of telling how the world was pissed all over, brutally crap CG atmosphere and a very TERRIBLE soundtrack.

Viggo looks grim as shit though.

So, I finally saw The Road today and feel the need to dispel some false notions.

First of all, they do not explain anything about the disaster. There is a brief narrative section in which Viggo says how there was a flash in the sky and a series of low concussions (which is actually straight out of the book). No further information is given.

The soundtrack is never instrusive. I was expecting something bombastic based on all I've heard, but it was nothing of the sort. In fact, one half-hour into the film, I realized that I hadn't even noticed one bit of music at all.

The CG was well done; the atmosphere is consistent and evocative.

The flashback sequences are used well and not much more is added, although some bits concerning the wife's character are expanded upon.

Some conversations are longer, which I think lends to the film's appeal. Also, Hillcoat added some scenes that benefit the film and suggest a greater sense of loss after the fall of civilization.

I would recommend it to those who are interested. I honestly did not think it was as violent as Hillcoat's last film, The Proposition. It was very moving and convincing.

^
good take E86

When I think of Robinhood...its usually meh?
But this looks amazing...Scott and Crow teamed together again. I can't imagine this failing and if they can only recapture some of the magic of Gladiator!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
My review of Inglourious Basterds, which will undoubtedly be my film of the year:

I remember the last time I walked away from a film so exhilarated, so blown away by a film-maker's audacity and skill of execution: it was Kill Bill Part I.

To think I didn't have high expectations for this... shame on me. Tarantino has again proven he is a master of spectacle second to none. This film is one glorious set piece after another, as Tarantino pulls out every trick in his seemingly bottomless bag to wring every ounce of suspense, humour and shock out of each scene. I relive them in my mind: the unbearably tense opening scene as Col Landa interrogates a farmer in his house, with a Jewish family hiding under the floorboards; the brilliant gun-to-the-balls standoff in the Nazi bar; the French Jew forced to endure in good humour eating dessert with the man who killed her family.

And then there's the ending. A lesser director would opt for the obligatory tragic ending (we all know how the war ends), but Tarantino shows no respect for tradition as he blithely rewrites history to suit his story. The performances are fantastic too, particularly Christoph Waltz as Col Landa who masters four languages in perfect pronunciation and steals every scene he's in. Brad Pitt is as reliable as ever and brings a wonderfully dry sense of humour to proceedings: "I'll probly jus' get chewed out. I been chewed out before".

As always, Tarantino reminds us what it is to be enthralled and enraptured with cinema. He infects us with his love for it. He brings out our childhood days of emerging from the cinema buzzing from the spectacle. It becomes harder and harder to do as time passes, and I bow my head to him.

so I went and saw Avatar in 3D today. The real world seems so boring afterwards. absolutely amazing. it is quite the cinematic experience

My review of Inglourious Basterds, which will undoubtedly be my film of the year:

I remember the last time I walked away from a film so exhilarated, so blown away by a film-maker's audacity and skill of execution: it was Kill Bill Part I.

To think I didn't have high expectations for this... shame on me. Tarantino has again proven he is a master of spectacle second to none. This film is one glorious set piece after another, as Tarantino pulls out every trick in his seemingly bottomless bag to wring every ounce of suspense, humour and shock out of each scene. I relive them in my mind: the unbearably tense opening scene as Col Landa interrogates a farmer in his house, with a Jewish family hiding under the floorboards; the brilliant gun-to-the-balls standoff in the Nazi bar; the French Jew forced to endure in good humour eating dessert with the man who killed her family.

And then there's the ending. A lesser director would opt for the obligatory tragic ending (we all know how the war ends), but Tarantino shows no respect for tradition as he blithely rewrites history to suit his story. The performances are fantastic too, particularly Christoph Waltz as Col Landa who masters four languages in perfect pronunciation and steals every scene he's in. Brad Pitt is as reliable as ever and brings a wonderfully dry sense of humour to proceedings: "I'll probly jus' get chewed out. I been chewed out before".

As always, Tarantino reminds us what it is to be enthralled and enraptured with cinema. He infects us with his love for it. He brings out our childhood days of emerging from the cinema buzzing from the spectacle. It becomes harder and harder to do as time passes, and I bow my head to him.

good review man, definitely nailed the best scenes. you make me wanna go back and revisit kill bill 'cause i didn't really have the perspective to *get* it back when it came out.

btw everyone here who liked antichrist will want to check out vinyan immediately by whatever means possible.

still in the process of catching up on all the stuff i missed, i'll prob make a top 10 thread some time in jan if someone hasn't already.