The Official Movie Thread

I'm posting this again because I think it might have been overlooked by some. If no one cares then by all means just ignore it.

So, I finally saw The Road today and feel the need to dispel some false notions.

First of all, they do not explain anything about the disaster. There is a brief narrative section in which Viggo says how there was a flash in the sky and a series of low concussions (which is actually straight out of the book). No further information is given.

The soundtrack is never instrusive. I was expecting something bombastic based on all I've heard, but it was nothing of the sort. In fact, one half-hour into the film, I realized that I hadn't even noticed one bit of music at all.

The CG was well done; the atmosphere is consistent and evocative.

The flashback sequences are used well and not much more is added, although some bits concerning the wife's character are expanded upon.

Some conversations are longer, which I think lends to the film's appeal. Also, Hillcoat added some scenes that benefit the film and suggest a greater sense of loss after the fall of civilization (e.g. the couch scene in the Man's old house).

I would recommend it to those who are interested. I honestly did not think it was as violent as Hillcoat's last film, The Proposition. It was very moving and convincing.

Was wondering if I can get some movie recommendations.

I want stuff that explores the idea of humanity and its relationship with their homeland (be it country or the planet itself) and/or something with environmental themes (but not all hollywood bullshit like the day after tomorrow.)

Was wondering if I can get some movie recommendations.

I want stuff that explores the idea of humanity and its relationship with their homeland (be it country or the planet itself) and/or something with environmental themes (but not all hollywood bullshit like the day after tomorrow.)

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there's a 1991 film called Black Robe that deals with French colonialism in North America and their interaction with the natives. The film contrasts the religions/beliefs of the two peoples and really emphasizes the unity with nature that the tribes have. There are also several shots that contrast the coldness and suffocation of metropolitanism with the freedom/openness of nature.

Cool, thanks. Black Robe sounds like basically what I'm looking for, and looking up Koyannisqatsi it looks promising as well.