The Official Movie Thread

it's abysmal. also juno at 4, holy god damn. but honestly i'll forgive him anything just for loving synecdoche NY, that's really really awesome 'cause it'll open it out to a much wider audience and hopefully it'll stop being so ridiculously underwatched & underrated.

i absolutely refuse to hop on this recent 25th hour bandwagon btw. i don't know what the fuck people are talking about when they talk about that movie, even though i quite like it.

I never saw 25th Hour because it didn't look particularly amazing, but everybody has been raving about it lately, so maybe I need to check it out

that movie is just awesome. there's no reason not to watch it, great cast, great story. underrated movie for sure, been a fan of it for years, caught it on Starz sometime ago.

just came back from the free theater on post, saw Invictus. Definitely a pretty good movie, felt real, a good story. Just seemed well executed by Damon, Freeman and Eastwood.

I never saw 25th Hour because it didn't look particularly amazing, but everybody has been raving about it lately, so maybe I need to check it out

25th Hour is a good film, but I enjoy almost anything with Edward Norton. The whole cast is great though; Hoffman is probably the best.

i wrote this at the time and stand by it:

'How anyone can call this a powerful drama at face value is beyond me, what with the unbelievable score and the wealth of cliches, allusions and quirks throughout. It's more like a ridiculous and very aware parody; an embodiment of the way we play with our lives as if it were all a big game, a dress rehearsal. The ending plays out like the most obvious of tricks, as if daring us death-fearing souls to keep holding on to this absurd belief in second chances, even at the very end.'

i'll make a top 10 of '09 thread in a couple weeks unless someone makes one sooner. i'm nowhere near ready to make a best of decade list though.

I watched Inglorious Basterds a few days ago. I really enjoyed it, especially after Tarantino's let down that was the second Kill Bill film. The action was good, the story was good.

I had one problem with it though. It felt like some of the characters really went to waste. Certain ones were expounded upon well (the German officer who had that lengthy scene at the beginning in which you get to know his character); but others were left in the dust.

One good dialogue scene between the Basterds would have made the film for me. There were opportunities for great characters (the Bear Jew, Wilhelm Wicki, Raine) but none of them ever really came to fruition. Hans Landa and Mimieux were handled well and developed, but the Basterds were never fully characterized. One scene dedicated just to them (showing them in conversation with each other or somehow interacting) would have really boosted my appreciation for and interest in their characters.

As I said, I enjoyed the film; but as it stands, I found it slightly lacking.

AVATAR WAS FUCKING AMAZING I LOVED IT IM GONNA FAP TO IT NOW

Before I waste my money..is Avatar only worth seeing in 3D? Everyone just tells me it's a visual experience..and to be honest I might as well just put on G-Force on my itunes and watch that shit instead if that is all it is

I watched Inglorious Basterds a few days ago. I really enjoyed it, especially after Tarantino's let down that was the second Kill Bill film. The action was good, the story was good.

I had one problem with it though. It felt like some of the characters really went to waste. Certain ones were expounded upon well (the German officer who had that lengthy scene at the beginning in which you get to know his character); but others were left in the dust.

One good dialogue scene between the Basterds would have made the film for me. There were opportunities for great characters (the Bear Jew, Wilhelm Wicki, Raine) but none of them ever really came to fruition. Hans Landa and Mimieux were handled well and developed, but the Basterds were never fully characterized. One scene dedicated just to them (showing them in conversation with each other or somehow interacting) would have really boosted my appreciation for and interest in their characters.

As I said, I enjoyed the film; but as it stands, I found it slightly lacking.

Fair point actually.

I did cringe a little myself at that. On a different note:

The Blind Side was damn good. One of the best major movies of 2009 for sure.