The Official Movie Thread

HAHAHAHAHAHA. You would eat up that racially regressive shit, wouldn't you?

Yeah dude, I am a total racist. I grew up near two different projects, had a black roommate during the last year, and married a mexican cause I hate other colors.

This movie was totally about the rich white man helpin the po' po' nigga', and I jes luvved it.

:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

People are ragging on the movie way too much for that point.
True, it has some amusing real-world origins, but the first time I heard that word (before looking it up) I thought they might as well have gone with "Indiangivium" or "Usurpium".

Don't be stupid. It was a good movie, and it was about a real thing.

How is it racially regressive?

That's retardo.
http://io9.com/5422666/when-will-white-people-stop-making-movies-like-avatar?skyline=true&s=x

Good article with valid points, but I was talking about The Blind Side. Yes, it is a movie where whites help a black kid, but it is based on something that really happened. Also, you cannot fully know the hearts and motivations of that family.

The racism I see is squarely in the reviewer.

How dare this family help him out!! What if Michael WANTED to live in the ghetto ?? :rolleyes: Well he had the choice to leave, not get educated, not go to college, etc etc. He made his choice. But oh, right, he was brainwashed by his surroundings. Kind of how the project/ghetto lifestyle brainwashes the people in those surroundings.

People who repeat this self-serving drivel probably wouldn't want to meet the real Michael Oher, for fear of getting beat into the ground, not to mention are also the ones who want to see the down and out stay there.

The racism I see is squarely in the reviewer.

How dare this family help him out!! What if Michael WANTED to live in the ghetto ?? :rolleyes: Well he had the choice to leave, not get educated, not go to college, etc etc. He made his choice. But oh, right, he was brainwashed by his surroundings. Kind of how the project/ghetto lifestyle brainwashes the people in those surroundings.

People who repeat this self-serving drivel probably wouldn't want to meet the real Michael Oher, for fear of getting beat into the ground, not to mention are also the ones who want to see the down and out stay there.

DOT

Blind Side argues that black people have to rise above their skin color to succeed. By focusing on ignorant, obese, near-mutes, both movies also suggest that good black people are helpless, and need the white world to speak for them. The ultimate NFL destination renders the whole thing benevolently sadistic: A white community first removes Michael from other black people, then trains him to beat them up on the field.

Blind Side argues that black people have to rise above their skin color to succeed. By focusing on ignorant, obese, near-mutes, both movies also suggest that good black people are helpless, and need the white world to speak for them.

Michael wasn't ignorant, just apathetic after losing his mother and not knowing his father (at least based on the movie). It isn't a color thing, it is an environment thing, and the only reason the two can seem to be the same is because of people like the reviewer setting up ghetto/project systems and welfare mentality. Someone had to show him another way, and unfortunately in the US, there just aren't that many successful minority families helping out other minorities.

Michael Oher was given a helping hand to rise above the environment he was born into and break the chain of poverty through his own achievement in a positive environment.

The ultimate NFL destination renders the whole thing benevolently sadistic: A white community first removes Michael from other black people, then trains him to beat them up on the field.

:rolleyes: Now that is a truly warped viewpoint.

Blind Side argues that black people have to rise above their skin color to succeed.

Wrong. He did have to rise above something to get an education, but it was his own lack of learning skills and a lack of opportunity, coupled with the need to immediately support himself. He is black, yes, but it is not about color. Maybe if that family had seen a big white guy walking in the rain, they would have helped him as well. There are white and black people who are willing to help others. There are white and black people who need help. There are black and white people who would take the opportunity handed to them and persevere, there are black and white people who would give up, there are black and white people who would just rob the family.

This is the situation, more or less how it happened.

So what do you suggest should have happened? Should the white family not have interfered? Did they do a bad thing? What do you think the real Michael Oher thinks? Or do you dismiss his views because he is now a dumb white hick?

By focusing on ignorant, obese, near-mutes, both movies also suggest that good black people are helpless, and need the white world to speak for them. The ultimate NFL destination renders the whole thing benevolently sadistic: A white community first removes Michael from other black people, then trains him to beat them up on the field.

What "both movies"? This is a story about something that happened. Apparently Michael Oher is black, he is big, and he was quiet. Would you have them put Chris Rock in the role? I don't understand your mind.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 [Uncut Japanese Regular Edition]

Finally got this one imported, 2min longer and no b\w scenes made it worth having for sure!

So what do you guys think were the best films last year?

Mine would be:

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. In the Loop
3. Samson and Delilah
4. Let the Right One In
5. (500) Days of Summer

Actually after these films, the standard drops off quite quickly. I still need to see District 9 and A Serious Man though.

For me it's a split between Basterds and District. I've seen both multiple times.

EDIT: And then third is Antikrist, which is just fucking disturbing. I have yet to see some others to add more, but I seriously doubt it will change the positions of these three.