The Official Movie Thread

I have seen very few films from 2009 because the cinema here sucks. My top 3 would be as follows:

1. Antichrist
2. Paranormal Activity
3. Inglourious Basterds

And yet I found Basterds underwhelming. It was good, yes, but so many people I know with similar tastes to mine found it awesome. I just found it good.

I have no idea, but Moon, Ponyo, District 9 and maybe a couple others would definitely make the list. there were so many I wanted to see but didn't

District 9 was really good. I don't know why Inglorious Bastards made everyones top movie list though. I thought it was subpar overall.

District 9 was really good. I don't know why Inglorious Bastards made everyones top movie list though. I thought it was subpar overall.

Compared to Tarantino's catalogue, it pales next to the classics; but in comparison to most of the movies released this year, I could see it making many people's top ten or even five.

The Road definitely makes it into my top five though.

watched Martyrs last night.

For me, it got to be a little too much. I don't mean the first two thirds (approximately), but the last third, and some of the events that happened at the end of the second third. I suppose it was effective, but ultimately I was unsatisfied with the motives, and just felt I saw too much. I am trying not to add any spoilers.

exactly!

i found the first hour of martyrs to be superb and the rest to be so-so, but i don't like it when films start essaying about themselves at the expense of mystery and ambiguity and all those other lovely things. ultimately all too cute.

i don't agree that inglourious pales in comparison to tarantino's classics, but then i don't rate tarantino's classics as highly as some, and i thought IB was just one brilliant set piece after another. i do need to rewatch it though as i was in a really shitty position in the theater (front left: weird seeing brad pitt with a twig for one arm and a tree trunk for the other).

still not seen the road.

district 9 suffers when it largely abandons its outstanding realism after the first act and goes for silly dramatisation. i was really on board for a while though, and it's always entertaining.

star trek was solid but hardly stuck in my mind or anything, just a lightweight retro reboot for the most part. i wonder if i'll feel the same way about sherlock holmes...

moon was kind of goofy for me, i didn't get into it as much i was hoping. like i said on criticker i feel like there's a lot to like about that movie but not a great deal to love. maybe a rewatch with revised expectation will glean greater riches.

ponyo was really nice for a while but ultimately it lost me. miyazaki often does that - and this was only minor miyazaki.

only one of these is in my top 10 even as things stand (that's IB - martyrs might get in there on a good day), and i have a good 30 or so movies i want to see yet.

i found the first hour of martyrs to be superb and the rest to be so-so, but i don't like it when films start essaying about themselves at the expense of mystery and ambiguity and all those other lovely things. ultimately all too cute.

Really? By the end of the first two "acts", I was sure the movie was just about over... and I thought it was a pretty good movie, but not great. Even as act 3 was unfolding I kept expecting it to end in one of the fade-outs. After a while I was wishing it had ended in a fade-out. By the end I was overwhelmed, not necessarily by the ending, but more just by the whole third act. I typically don't give too much though to movies after seeing them, but this one stayed in my mind. I didn't know if I hated it or liked it, but I am pretty sure I was unhappy with the motivations. As I have thought about it and read about it some affection has grown in me for the movie, and I want to see it again.

Really? By the end of the first two "acts", I was sure the movie was just about over... and I thought it was a pretty good movie, but not great. Even as act 3 was unfolding I kept expecting it to end in one of the fade-outs. After a while I was wishing it had ended in a fade-out. By the end I was overwhelmed, not necessarily by the ending, but more just by the whole third act. I typically don't give too much though to movies after seeing them, but this one stayed in my mind. I didn't know if I hated it or liked it, but I am pretty sure I was unhappy with the motivations. As I have thought about it and read about it some affection has grown in me for the movie, and I want to see it again.

the first hour or whatever was really intense and intriguing and devastating to me, but once the organisation showed up i became very aware of the guys behind the camera trying to hammer home a point. it all went a bit 'funny games'. i'm not easily troubled by brutal exploitation, but i am dislocated by contrived writing.

forgot to mention before, i caught the conversation on tv again the other night. i now feel comfortable saying it's not just coppolas best movie but one of the top 10 or 15 movies i've ever seen, despite the overly explicatory ending. if i wanted to show someone what i consider to be amazing filmmaking i'd show them that before nearly anything else. brilliant on every level.