The Official Movie Thread

I was prowling the internet, and suddenly I remembered the fact that Antichrist hasnt received very good reviews overall...

point is, I dont fucking understand that. It was one of my top 3 of 2009, and somedays I feel its some of the best and most beautiful filmmaking ive ever seen.

Daybreakers - It had some good ideas but could have been much better.

Spoiler alert:

I fucking hated this movie. It was so stupid... it physically hurt... supposedly a bat caused all of it... and most of the worlds forests had been burned down because of infected animals going into the daylight... yet several times in the movie, you clearly saw bats in the direct sunlight.

And apparently, vampirism puts your organs (atleast your heart) into some sort of stasis... the only way to start your heart again is to get into the sunlight until it almost kills you then get rid of the fire just before it does. Then, NOT ONLY does your heart magically start again, but it starts pumping a blood that will cure any other vampires that bite you. But, if you're a vampire and you feed on the blood of another vampire that hasnt been cured... it makes you more feral and beastlike, this includes biting yourself.

Throughout the movie... there was also a very anti-military sentiment.

I just really hope the movie wasnt meant to be taken seriously.... it felt really goofy and awkward...plot-holed... bad special effects. (the vampires in the sunlight looked ridiculous, but atleast they didnt sparkle I guess)

I want my $14 back.

I watched the 70-ish minutes of deleted scenes from Spinal Tap tonight, and it was quite apparent why just about all of it was cut. I didn't remember the actual film being only 82 minutes, but it makes sense to me now. I feel like 90 minutes is the sweet-spot for comedies mostly, and most films in general. Kind of like the 45 minute metal album.

Watched the Book of Eli. I liked it ok, but the Bible haters around here wouldn't like it.

It wasn't a deep movie, and was actually rather predictable. it did point out that misuse of scripture is where the damage throughout the years has come from.

Gamer - Interesting concept. Great body count!

Knowing - Hate Nic Cage but this was better than I expected. I can see where the end would polarize people but it sat okay with me. I didn't spend much time trying to pick it apart.

Pandorum - Liked this one as well. A little Descent meets Event Horizon. It maintains a pretty fast pace throughout.

Pandorum - Liked this one as well. A little Descent meets Event Horizon. It maintains a pretty fast pace throughout.

My girlfriend hated this movie, but I actually liked it too. Nothing special, but you described it perfectly. And it does have a fast pace, as well as decent effects and seriously intense moments. The "insanity" plot point was a bit too much for me; but I loved the vibe of the film's first half, when no one has any idea what's going on.

It is about the Bible being wiped off the face of the earth except for one carried by "Eli" (Denzel). Obviously in the end the Bible is [saved] (don't want to spoil the details for those who are going to see it.)

I'm still thinkin about seeing Book of Eli

watched Bernardo Bertolucci's The Conformist last night and was rather disappointed. Beautiful cinematography and everything, but the guy can't tell a story worth a damn.

Just watched Felon, great movie. The thing that makes you relate to it is that it's just an ordinary guy sent to prison, not some gang member or anything. I can't believe the big fat John Smith was played by Val Batman Kilmer, didn't realize it until I saw his name in the end.