The Official Movie Thread

Just got back from watching Animal Kingdom.It's obviously based loosely on Australias most notorious crime family,the Pettingill's.Very good acting performances from Joel Edgerton and Ben Mendolsohn.All in all it was a very good and darkly accurate portrayal.This is the best movie i have seen for a long time and will stay with me for a long time,until I get to see it again,it's that good.
edit.'The Expendables' is going to be fucking massive!.

Animal Kingdom is easily the best film I've seen this year, not to mention the best movie to come out of Australia in many years. Taut, gritty, frighteningly realistic. All you American folks, I doubt you're going to get a cinema release but download it if you can.

I totally agree,even without the obvious bias of it being an Australian movie and myself being Australian,this movie is the only movie that contains as much/many disturbing and suspenseful moments and general dreadful atmosphere as a movie such as 'Deliverance' that I have seen.I am tempted to say that it's the best movie I have ever seen.Made all the more fucked up by the fact that this stuff actually happened,only names were changed.Everything about this movie is amazing.Animal Kingdom is flatout amazing!!

Fucking disturbing movie. Just watched this on Wednesday.

As a Christian, I can say that 1)That is a truly fucked up film, and 2) it thankfully does not represent the majority of churches. Those people have some serious problems.

Valhalla Rising was not the greatest thing ever seen but certainly unlike anything I've ever seen. Unique in its presentation...as pure and raw as it gets...the visuals were amazing.

Watched the first two from the Pusher trilogy, I like the second one a lot better, I would've liked to see the whole Frank thing pan out, I thought the whole trilogy was about him but whatever, it's a great concept.

Also saw two outstanding sergio leone films: once upon a time in the west, superb, one of the greatest movies around. his use of space and sound etc. is just unreal
also saw once upon a time in america, another great one by him. saw the full almost 4 hour version, love de niro, he's totaly pigeon holed into playing those roles but god damn he's good at it

last night i saw M, which I liked a lot for the most part it was just an alright movie but the ending scene with him repenting and how he's compelled to do it makes the whole film. i actually have some ideas to write a short operatic scene based on that, i think that would be really cool

I started to watch the man who fell to earth with david bowie and rip torn but the disc was screwed up and i couldn't get into it anyway, david bowie just looks like such a girl i can't stand it.

anyways besides that i have a huge list of film noir, french new wave, magic realism, surrealism, italian neorealism etc. movies to watch...there is way to much shit out there but i tend to gravitate to older films and older things in general

Them - Had a ton of suspense and was pretty creepy until all was revealed and then it didn't make much sense.

The War Zone - Pretty dark and not too bad.

Twentynine Palms - Wat? Seems like an hour and a half could have been cut from this one. The ending is one of the biggest wtf endings I can recently remember. Not that it's good. It just doesn't make sense.

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=.../www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/424764_tvgif9.html

Patricia Neal, the Oscar- and Tony-winning actress who overcame three strokes to continue her career, has died. She was 84.

Neal died Sunday in her home in Edgartown, Mass., after a battle with lung cancer, her family said in a statement.

See other celebrities we've lost this year

"She faced her final illness as she had all of the many trials she endured: with indomitable grace, good humor and a great deal of her self-described stubbornness," the statement read.

In 1965 — a year after winning a best-actress Oscar for her tough housekeeper Alma who stood up to Paul Newman's brash cowboy in Hud — Neal suffered a series of strokes at age 39 that left her semi-paralyzed and unable to speak. She learned to walk and talk again before returning to the screen in 1968's The Subject Was Roses, for which she earned another Oscar nomination.

In Knoxville, Tenn., where she grew up, a rehabilitation center that helps people recover from strokes as well as spinal cord and brain injuries is named for her.

A Kentucky native, Neal first made her name on Broadway after winning the first featured-actress-in-a-play Tony in 1947 for her work in Another Part of the Forest. Two years later, she made her film debut in John Loves Mary and starred in film version of Ayn Rand's novel The Fountainhead, opposite Gary Cooper, with whom she had an affair. The affair ended in 1950 when Cooper, who was 25 years her senior, refused to leave his wife and his daughter. Neal also underwent an abortion while with Cooper.

Throughout the 1950s and '60s, Neal starred in The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Breaking Point, A Face in the Crowd, Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Harm's Way.

Watch clips of Patricia Neal

Neal was offered the role of Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate, which came out in 1967, but turned it down as she was still recovering from her strokes.

Following her triumphant return, Neal turned to television, receiving the first of her three Emmy nominations for The Homecoming: A Christmas Story, the 1971 TV movie that served as the pilot for The Waltons.

In 1953, Neal married author Roald Dahl, who wrote James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda and The Fantastic Mr. Fox. They had five children, one of whom — daughter Olivia — died in 1962 at the age 7 of measles encephalitis. Their infant son, Theo, also suffered brain damage in 1957 when a taxi struck his stroller.

Neal and Dahl, who died in 1990, divorced in 1983 after he had an affair with her best friend.

"You can't give up," Neal said in a 1999 interview. "You sure want to, sometimes."

Neal is survived by her three daughters, Ophelia, writer Tessa Dahl (whose daughter is model Sophie Dahl), screenwriter Lucy Dahl, and son Theo.

RIP

I started to watch the man who fell to earth with david bowie and rip torn but the disc was screwed up and i couldn't get into it anyway, david bowie just looks like such a girl i can't stand it.

I watched this yesterday. It wasn't that great. There was a lot of sex and other shit that wasn't really explained. It was okay but far from recommended or required viewing

As a Christian, I can say that 1)That is a truly fucked up film, and 2) it thankfully does not represent the majority of churches. Those people have some serious problems.

Yes it doesn't represent all churches but fuck that was disturbing stuff. People like cookiecutter and Dakryn should check this movie since it has some politics stuff in it.