The Official Movie Thread

it has probably the most generic characters out of the 3 but also the most resonant images somehow. there's a few really thorny moments where the gimmick stops being a gimmick and just feels like a horrifyingly tragic/cynical perspective on existence.

I watched part of It, the film based on the Stephen King novel. It's been quite a while since I last watched it, but it's a bit of a childhood classic. I don't care what anyone says, it's a great film. :p

I had wanted to watch " Norwegian Wood", and luckily it was on the plane on my flight back from japan today.

I am not good at writing eloquently about movies, but I loved the movie. So much.
To me it succeeded on every level; composition of scenes, colors, acting. I had never read the book, so this was definitely a pleasant introduction. I had no idea it would turn so sinister. Or at least it came off that way to me.

DO RECOMMEND

just watched...
xxx.jpg

i guess i'm so used to herzog and other weird artsy directors now though that i can't really remember what it's like to approach something like aguirre for the first time. but i don't get how you can be underwhelmed by something so ridiculously otherworldly and singular; a film with one of the craziest lead performances ever, arguably the greatest soundtrack ever, basically the same plot as apocalypse now 'cept even more intense and wild, etcetc. just don't get it. the opening and closing scenes are masterpieces in themselves, whole thing's amazingly gorgeous to look at - not pretty, but that wild, savage beauty that herzog's made his own. the incredible amount of bizarre and hilarious stories behind the making of the film are absolutely ridiculous - it was shot on one stolen camera?! he stole the monkeys by pretending to be a vet?! kinski shot one of the extras?! herzog pulled a gun on kinski to prevent him from walking out?! i mean there's just so much to be fascinated by even if somehow you aren't hypnotised by the atmosphere and strange, oddly tragic narrative.

Delayed response but here goes:

Perhaps "underwhelmed" wasn't the right word because I was thoroughly entertained watching the bizarreness unfold. But for a film regarded as one of the greatest of all time I felt it lacked depth. Whilst Apocalypse Now had various sub-plots and sub-themes, Aguirre feels like it just grinds relentlessly toward the conclusion: "put man back in the wild and his true nature is revealed". So in terms of what the film actually had to say, it was quite simplistic. It seems to me Aguirre works better as a showcase of Herzog's talents, ie that awe-inspiring opening shot, more so than as a narrative or social critique, and a film that only works on that level to me won't rival an Apocalypse Now which does all of that.

The American - Liked that it was subdued and to the point. Cloony was fine for the role. Forced "love" interest only made tolerable by a nice rack (on the girl, not Cloony (well, both)).

Shutter - Decent enough Thai horror with standard white-faced, wet haired, jilted woman crawling awkwardly. Despite the cliche, the plot actually had some meat to it. I see Hollywood remade this. I opted for the original.

Let Me In - A decent job remaking an already amazing movie but then again, if I recorded Master of Puppets and called it my own I'd be pretty cool too. The performances were good but just missing that bit of... awkward innocence the original seeped from every frame. A couple of changes I didn't like as well like the "got your attention" intro and the behavior between Abby and her hunter/keeper. Music and cinematography were great, though. The original handily wins, as expected.

I saw that with friends, and they basically said the same thing. Never seeing "Let the Right One In", I still thought "Let Me In" was a good movie. That little girl is going to be all sorts of fucked up when she grows up...between that and Kick-Ass...good lord

just watched...
PAR_D341834D.JPG

I liked this movie.

Let Me In - A decent job remaking an already amazing movie but then again, if I recorded Master of Puppets and called it my own I'd be pretty cool too. The performances were good but just missing that bit of... awkward innocence the original seeped from every frame. A couple of changes I didn't like as well like the "got your attention" intro and the behavior between Abby and her hunter/keeper. Music and cinematography were great, though. The original handily wins, as expected.

I really enjoyed Let Me In and thought it was fantastic. I also liked the "got your attention" intro because it messed with the plot, making it non-linear, which I appreciated. I also thought the development of the relationship between the girl and the man was great, and the relationship between the girl and boy, while lacking some of that "awkward innocence," had more of an uncanny maturity to it that I thought was a nice complement to the original; like another way to envision how children interact.

@Mike: I agree that Chloe Moretz might be all kinds of fucked up, but I'll pull a Mort and say that she'll be fucked up and hot.

I see what you're saying but with so many nearly identical shots, scenes, and lines, it's hard to develop a new take on the characters. The thing I mainly did not like between Abby and the man was all of the yelling and banging around, which would surely draw attention. Also, I didn't pick it up in the original (if it was there) but it was a great touch having her penmanship flawless. Maybe I didn't catch it because it was written in a different language.