The Official Movie Thread

Are we allowed to talk about documentaries itt? Because the past couple of weeks I've watched a bunch of documentaries about genocide and war (you know, to lighten up my mood and whatnot). The best one I've seen is The Death of Yugoslavia which is a BBC documentary series about the collapse of Yugoslavia and the ensuing conflict. It's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen tbh. You can find it on youtube.

Another one I watched was Ghosts of Rwanda which is about the Rwandan genocide that occurred back in the 90s. It's probably one of the roughest things I've ever watched and very informative concerning the extent to which the world turned a blind eye to it while it was happening (I didn't know much about Madeleine Albright before watching this, but I am now of the opinion that she is a cowardly, dishonest cunt.) There is lots and lots of footage of chopped up dead bodies in this film; not for the faint of heart.

I've watched The Death of Yugoslavia now, very good documentary indeed.

Another documentary to lighten up your mood is The Colonization of The Congo, also up on youtube. On the historical atrocity - scale those events are arguably in the very top. During a period of 20 years 10 million people in The Congo were killed off by Leopold II.

A Serbian Film - For a while I was wondering what all the hub bub was about then the wheels kinda came off. Still digesting it honestly.

I've heard this is the most gut wrenching film. Your thoughts? (I've read a play-by-play description of what happens in the film, and just reading about it made me feel uneasy)

Um, it was disturbing but in kind of a shock value way. Don't know how to describe it but it didn't have as much impact as I thought it would. I don't think it will have that lingering effect that will have me chewing on it for days.

A Dirty Carnival - More from Korea but more low key than the fare I've been watching. All in all, still a quality gangster movie.

It was then the ending was a big "fuck you" to everyone.

Zatoichi and the Festival of Fire - About to go through a rash of Zatoichi stuff. This one is good but most samurai stuff from the early 70's was. I expect no less from the blind swordsman. I even liked the one with Beat Takashi.

Last movie watched: Alien 3. An enough good and underrated film. There's nothing recycled from the previous ones (as well as in Aliens) and its ideas make a good movie of it, IMO.

I always thought Alien 3 was a decent movie. It gets a lot of shit. Yes, it's not as good as Aliens nor anywhere near Alien, but I think it's still a decent movie. Fincher gave us an interesting setting with a pretty entertaining cast...and yeah. I don't know.

I like it.

now Alien 4...

I always thought Alien 3 was a decent movie. It gets a lot of shit. Yes, it's not as good as Aliens nor anywhere near Alien, but I think it's still a decent movie. Fincher gave us an interesting setting with a pretty entertaining cast...and yeah. I don't know.

I like it.

I totally agree. About Alien 4, it has some good ideas (like the clonation, Ripley's incest with aliens and new queen's reproductive system) but is quite bad, in my opinion. That's the only Alien saga film I don't really like.

Alien 3 is actually my favorite of the franchise after the first; nothing beats the first.

In the third installment, Fincher gave us something truly dark and terrifying, more akin to the first film than the second.

What is more cliché; black guys in movies dying first, or black guys in movies stating that black guys in movies die first? I would actually put my money on the latter being more common than the first.