The Official Movie Thread

Inferno (Dario Argento, 1980) - One of the pinnacles of Italian horror and maestro Argento's career. The thematic sequel to the much more celebrated Suspiria (1977) and the second film in Argento's "Three Mothers" trilogy (the third being the long-delayed and off the wall Mother of Tears (2007)), and in many ways a superior film to Suspiria. The death scenes may not be as extravagant and Keith Emmerson's score, which is one of the finest ever crafted for an Argento film (see the badass soundtracks thread) might not be as iconic as Goblin's brilliant Suspiria soundtrack but its a much more challenging and phantasmagoric experience especially from a storytelling standpoint. Italian horror has never really been about coherent plots and Argento has often been accused of being style over substance but Inferno takes that idea to another level. The first half of the film is an incredible exercise in stream of consciousness plotting, seguing from one random dreamscape to the next. What's also amazing is just like in Suspiria, Argento has one of the films most iconic moments happen early on and yet it never feels like the film blew its load too soon having such a scene over and done with so early. The second half becomes slightly more conventional but not by much and there's never a shortage of gorgeous lighting (the film is dominated by red and blue) or exquisite direction. Absolutely essential.

Full Metal Yakuza (Takashi Miike, 1997) - Imagine RoboCop (1987) if Murphy was a gangster put back together by a leather clad Dr. Frankenstein with a huge (pixilated, this is Japan after all) cock. The RoboCop comparisons pretty much end after the concept of a dead man brought back to life as a half-cyborg as unlike Verhoeven, Miike isn't interested in satire or social commentary (at least not in this film). He is however fully committed to delivering a perverse and gratuitous cyberpunk sci-fi splatterfest and deliver does he ever. The film is a comedy as much as it is a sci-fi/revenge flick and Miike is fully self-aware the entire time of the films absurdities, although he does give the titular robo-yakuza a would be love interest. Without spoiling anything, it doesn't end well. The film also predicts Miike's later Ichi the Killer (2001) somewhat with the main characters personality being very similar to the character of Ichi. There's also of course the films bloodshed and arterial spraying which becomes so over the top it crosses over into farce territory. The look of the film is also worth mentioning because it was lensed digitally for Japan's direct to video (V-Cinema) market. Its a testament to both Miike's talent and Japan's advanced DVD technology of the time because while at times suffering from the limitations of early digital video, its still a more refined looking movie then most American or British video productions from around the same time. Miike fans who are unfamiliar with his pre-Audition (1999) work should find this film to be of interest. Fans of the Tetsuo films should also eat this right up. Grade-A exploitation.

Got dunk and watched Gozu last night. Ive got to say the last half hour of that movie delivered so fucking hard on the bizarre tension that had been rising the entire film I've never seen a purposely "weird" movie hit so fucking hard have I enjoyed one so much.

Also the subtitles were poorly done and left me laughing.
(ominous music)

Reactions: CiG
On a much lighter note I watched Dead Heat last night too and it was fun as fuck. Surprised I had never heard of it before. Seems like a cult favorite for sure. Basically two cops stumble onto a corporation's resurrection machine. The company is resurrecting bad guys to do their dirty work buuuuut they don't have it quite figured out yet and the resurrected turn to liquid after ~12 hours. The scene at the Chinese market? Holy shit that was ridiculous and awesome.

I thought it was hilarious and had a great cast...
Treat Williams, Joe Piscopo (as the meat headed cop dropping one liners) Daren McGavin and the late great Vincent Price himself as the mastermind of the corporation.

On a much lighter note I watched Dead Heat last night too and it was fun as fuck. Surprised I had never heard of it before. Seems like a cult favorite for sure. Basically two cops stumble onto a corporation's resurrection machine. The company is resurrecting bad guys to do their dirty work buuuuut they don't have it quite figured out yet and the resurrected turn to liquid after ~12 hours. The scene at the Chinese market? Holy shit that was ridiculous and awesome.

I thought it was hilarious and had a great cast...
Treat Williams, Joe Piscopo (as the meat headed cop dropping one liners) Daren McGavin and the late great Vincent Price himself as the mastermind of the corporation.

Just checked the Rotten Tomatoes for it. Had to laugh at this review:

"On the screen, it seems to be like a walking corpse itself: jerking around malevolently, with putrefying limbs, a fixed, grisly smile on its face and absolutely no spontaneity."

Ive found for fairly bad but fun movies rotten tomatoes isn't that good of a place to look. Seems like the people on IMDb are more apt to see the fun in a resurrection machine brining back to life a bunch of fried ducks and a cooked pig and cow carcass.

I admittedly like schlock though, goofy 80s horror movies are a sweet spot for me.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah you're right about that, mainstream film critics can't differentiate between good trash and bad trash, and that distorts the rotten tomatoes rating. Just because a film is terrible doesn't mean it isn't fun.

IMDB doesn't seem that much better to me though. They give trashy-but-fun films decent ratings, but then they give films that are actually awful and absolute masterpieces identical ratings. Every film on IMDB has a rating between 6 and 8 out of 10.

i also highly recommend johnnie to's BLIND DETECTIVE as far as asian serial killer movies go, but it's a batshit crazy macabre screwball comedy so not to everyone's tastes haha.

Had this on my hard drive for a while now, been meaning to watch it. Kind of put off by the B&W visuals tbh - colourless makes sense to me in a noirish urban environment, but in the jungle?

I actually think it makes it even more gorgeous out in the jungle. There's this shot of the tiger and I couldn't help but really be entranced. I honestly think if it's a beautiful setting, being shot in black and white won't take that away it'll just add another interesting perspective to it.

For anyone interested: It's about two scientists who go to the Amazon to search for a flower which can cure them. They are accompanied by the same Amazonian shaman but the trips are a few decades apart. The two stories are told in an intercut manner. The film has some very interesting themes of shamanism, colonialism, religion, oneness with nature. A really excellent film, all in all.

I actually think it makes it even more gorgeous out in the jungle. There's this shot of the tiger and I couldn't help but really be entranced. I honestly think if it's a beautiful setting, being shot in black and white won't take that away it'll just add another interesting perspective to it.

For anyone interested: It's about two scientists who go to the Amazon to search for a flower which can cure them. They are accompanied by the same Amazonian shaman but the trips are a few decades apart. The two stories are told in an intercut manner. The film has some very interesting themes of shamanism, colonialism, religion, oneness with nature. A really excellent film, all in all.

That's good to hear, I'll definitely give it a whirl. I'm also curious to know what a Columbian tiger looks like.

Actually... Lin being involved makes me hopeful, if anything. He was a self-admitted "Star Trek kid" for one, and he has experience directing with ensemble casts, so the pieces are falling together nicely.

Actually... Lin being involved makes me hopeful, if anything. He was a self-admitted "Star Trek kid" for one, and he has experience directing with ensemble casts, so the pieces are falling together nicely.

Yh, I read an interview with him in which he professed his love for the franchise, which also gave me hope. My only issue is how much I loathe the fast and furious movies (although admittedly I don't think I've seen past the second one, so I haven't actually seen any of Lin's work). Anything automotive or Vin Diesel associated makes me taste bile.