The Official Movie Thread

Faces (1968) wouldn't be a bad introduction to the vérité style of which he was a pioneer. Of course A Woman Under the Influence (1974) would be a perfect general introduction. Love Streams (1984) is a big favorite, nice to see that one get a mention here. Very affecting film and its interesting to see Cassavetes and Rowlands play brother and sister. All time favorite would probably be Opening Night (1977). Rowlands is so good in that its scary. Easily on par with her turn in A Woman...

Abel Ferrara told a great story one time about how Cassavetes' nailed it with A Woman... after he watched it in a theatre with only one other guy in attendance. At one point the guy stood up and walked out, saying out loud (paraphrasing here) "I gotta go home to this shit! Why would I wanna watch it in a movie?!"

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
OPENING NIGHT left me a bit detached tbh, but it may just be that i've seen too many films use that same conceit. i do think it's useful for clarifying his work and it's obviously among his most autobiographical, not to mention aesthetically tight.

i honestly don't know what you'd think of cassavetes pompey. i guess A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE is the typical starting point as oblmax says. MOSKOWITZ is kind of a forgotten/minor work but it was my starting point and i loved it.

LOVE STREAMS might be my favourite - it's even more affecting when you consider he thought he only had a few months to live at the time he made it. the idea of a guy creating... that as his swansong is depressing as fuck to me.

Recent movie haul.

UltraViolet.
Re-Animator(blu-ray).
It.
4 Horror Films(Bloody Mary,Mortuary,Memory,Salvage).
A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child.
Bloodsport.
Untraceable.
John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13.
Puppet Master(first 3)
4 Horror Films(The Return of The Living Dead,Swamp Thing,A Bucket of Blood,Frogs).

Nice haul. Always liked The Dream Child and feel it kind of gets a bit of a bum rap. Its a nice attempt to get back to a darker Freddy while clearly acknowledging how much of a pop culture icon he'd become. Some really astounding production design and even some of the more dated effects are endearing due to how innovate they were at the time.

Anybody else love The Rules of Attraction (2002) as much as I do? Ellis has gone on recording saying that he feels out of all the film adaptations of his work, this one was the best and came the closest to capturing the essence of the novel. As much as I love American Psycho, I have to agree. Its a brutally funny, quirky flick with some brilliantly inspired casting. Van Der Beek especially kills it going against type at the time as the lead spoiled rich asshole and I can't help but think that, despite being based on a book from 1987, it almost feels like a "fuck you" too all those teeny booper flicks from the late 90's what with the casting of people like Van Der Beek and Jessica Biel in darker roles.

Avary was certainly the right man for the job. Even when the direction gets a bit too music videoy (the Europe montage) it actually fits and doesn’t get distracting. The reverse order and time jumps also work wonders and there’s a wonderful split screen sequence with an equally great use of Donovan’s “Colours”. And of course, Dick. "It sucks coooooooocccccccccck." If you've seen the film you'll know immediately what I'm referring to.

Haven't spammed in a while. Y'all need Takashi Ishii if your life. Try this exceptionally nasty neo-noir on for size. Torrential rainfall, neon and Japanese idol Hiroko Sato whipping herself for 10+ minutes.

I just watched The Hunt for Red October for the first time. It was OK, I especially liked parts of it, but I think Connery was miscast, especially with his completely uncovered Scottish accent standing out so much. He played a Brit in a film called Russia house, with Michelle Pfeiffer acting very hard to seem Russian (successfully to me) and that worked a lot better. Also, the main character in this film doesn't really seem like a main character. It might have worked in the book, but they haven't really got it right in the film. Still good overall I suppose.

6/10

Awesome. Thanks, Walkabout is one of my favourite films and David Gulpilil one of my favourite humans in general, I met him when I was a kid at a huge family/tribe gathering. R.I.P.

I actually literally just finished watching Storm Boy haha.

By the way, I saw your IMDB list and it's pretty great. Although, there were some films that were almost at the bottom that I would have had at the top but that's just me.

Man I just finished watching this bleak as fuck Chilean fillm called El Club (or The Club). It's essentially about a house for "criminal" priests, but they seem to be in denial of the crimes they have committed. Such an interesting film that really takes a lot out of you when you watch it.

Here's the trailer:

i've seen his previous film, NO. wasn't really my thing but he's obviously a good filmmaker, and this one's been even more hyped. will definitely check it out when i catch up with a bunch of stuff from this year.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
I haven't seen No but I definitely can vouch for this movie. It sets a tone of ambiguousness and the way the characters develop in a not so obvious way is interesting. Also, things escalate quickly you never expect it to happen so fast. Btw, did you watch Embrace of the Serpent yet? Seriously, that movie has really stuck with me.

Hollywood Has Ruined Method Acting

Jared Leto’s turn in Suicide Squad is the latest reminder that the technique has become more about ego and marketing than good performances.

Although the writer just couldn't help herself and make it about gender politics because its 2016 and every single fucking thing has to be about gender guninthefuckingmouthpulltrigger, this is an interesting read nonetheless. Admittedly, being so out of touch with the current Hollywood product I've not seen most of the performances cited and probably never will but the big point about marketing over the actual performance does seem to be fairly accurate. Maybe its different in the European press, but think about people like Charlotte Gainsbourg or Isabelle Huppert who constantly take on intense and dark roles and vary rarely do they make a fuss about it, usually saying "You just do it" or something along those lines whenever they're asked how they prepared for a difficult role.

Reactions: CiG