The Official Movie Thread

I haven't seen No but I definitely can vouch for this movie. It sets a tone of ambiguousness and the way the characters develop in a not so obvious way is interesting. Also, things escalate quickly you never expect it to happen so fast. Btw, did you watch Embrace of the Serpent yet? Seriously, that movie has really stuck with me.

i'll let you know what i think when i see both. i usually tend to binge watch new movies from like september onwards.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
So I don't really watch films very often, I just never got into them as entertainment medium. However, I read this thread and you all seem to talk about them with wonder and passion so I thought I'd ask for a recommendation so I can give them another go.

I'm looking for something that's dark and has an ambiguous storyline open to interpretation. Something that will stay with me long past when the end credits roll and possibly make me question my own interpretation of its deeper meanings. Substance over style is a necessity.

i'll recommend some of the stuff that got me (or would've got me) more heavily into movies, back when i was most into black and death metal and had similar requirements.

stalker (tarkovsky)
the seventh seal (bergman)
mulholland drive (lynch)
aguirre: the wrath of god (herzog)
the thin red line (malick)
woman in the dunes (teshigahara)
ran (kurosawa)
there will be blood (anderson)
dead ringers (cronenberg)
taxi driver (scorsese)
the turin horse (tarr)

i'd say that covers most bases. foreign/english, arthouse/entertainment, old/recent, etc, but all reasonably accessible. if you don't find anything to your liking here there's probably no point delving deeper tbh, but pls don't dismiss them all based on one or two as they're all very different.

Reactions: Phylactery
Luna caliente (Vicente Aranda, 2009) - The final film from the salacious Spaniard and whether or not it was intended to be it wound up being a fitting send off with its fusing of the Barcelona School of Film philosophy (the disruption of everyday life by the unexpected) where Aranda began his career, the fierce, transgressive sexuality that defined several of his films that's bound to trigger hypersensitive snowflakes into their safe spaces and radical anti-authoritarian politics. Very Hitchcock with its story of a man getting in over his head in an intense situation, although it differs from Hitchcock's wrong man scenarios in that the main character is in fact guilty as hell (not a spoiler, its the driving force of the film) which makes for some very interesting questions Aranda forces the audience to ask themselves throughout the film. It also contains one of the finest femme-fatal characters in recent times played by the incredible Thaïs Blume. Being the last film from a master, this is pretty essential.

So I watched Tetsuo Sunday night. I kind of knew what I was in for but I just wasn't ready for the breakneck pace of the movie.

...Did the guys girlfriend purposely get on his drill penis or was her clothing wound into it?

...Did Tetsuo and the metal fetishist have sex impaling him with his drilldo then fall in love?

...Did the metal fetishist die in the beginning and become some kind of rust ghost/curse thing?

dune-emojis.jpg

http://www.tor.com/2016/08/16/kyle-maclachlan-explains-the-plot-of-dune-through-emojis/

:lol:

So I don't really watch films very often, I just never got into them as entertainment medium. However, I read this thread and you all seem to talk about them with wonder and passion so I thought I'd ask for a recommendation so I can give them another go.

I'm looking for something that's dark and has an ambiguous storyline open to interpretation. Something that will stay with me long past when the end credits roll and possibly make me question my own interpretation of its deeper meanings. Substance over style is a necessity.

When I get home I'll edit this post and give a few recs.

@Phylactery oh, maybe check out Videodrome too.

So I watched Tetsuo Sunday night. I kind of knew what I was in for but I just wasn't ready for the breakneck pace of the movie.

...Did the guys girlfriend purposely get on his drill penis or was her clothing wound into it?

...Did Tetsuo and the metal fetishist have sex impaling him with his drilldo then fall in love?

...Did the metal fetishist die in the beginning and become some kind of rust ghost/curse thing?

I'm pretty sure her clothing was wound into it, if I remember correctly and the metal fetishist dying thing, I understood it as he dies and passes the curse on to the man. Something like that.

Have you seen Body Hammer?

Last edited:
The fetishist didn't have that curse though, he just wanted to ram metal into his body. (Saw mentioned he had a piece of metal lodged in his brain in an accident or something as a child) I assumed when he died he became some Asian curse/ghost thing because he does actually materialize in the real world but first in this metal realm while he fucks with Tetsuo.

He originally just wanted to curse the man that killed him but instead fell in love with him and decided he wanted to destroy the world...

Haven't seen any sequels yet, if shudder doesn't have them I'd hate to resort to YouTube.

Reactions: CiG
Oh yes that's right, they try to conceal his body by dumping it somewhere and then he I guess becomes a vengeful spirit. I didn't even remember the homo factor until you mentioned it. It's been awhile.

I actually think I prefer Body Hammer.

Poetry, Politics and Polish Surrealism: Żuławski's Last Film

Last year in Locarno, Żuławski was awarded the Golden Leopard for best director. If leopards cannot change their spots, Żuławski never sought in Poland or France to be part of clubs that would accept him as a member. John Waters wrote of Todd Haynes' Carol (2015) that perhaps the only way to be transgressive today was to be shockingly tasteful. Cosmos isn't that, but it cheerfully subverts certain stereotypes relating to contemporary 'art' cinema: it is energetic, playful and verbose. It ends with a formal manoeuvre that allows the viewer to have their cake and eat it, one which reconciles a desire for happy endings with Gombrowicz's inability to end (i.e. the Diaries). Żuławski’s ending is the opposite of every Judd Apatow film, when the hero 'grows up'. Whether it be Diabeł or L'Amour braque, Żuławski's cinema hinged on youth, innocence and nativity cast adrift in an indifferent, harsh and unforgiving world. The ending of Cosmos is Żuławski's most succinct re-iteration of this theme: the triumph of immaturity, beauty, madness over maturity, ugliness and sanity.
Fucking beautiful.

Also, this is going to be a must buy book for fans of obscure oddities even though its not coming for another year and a half: http://bleedingskull.com/announcing-bleeding-skull-a-1990s-trash-horror-odyssey/

@Phylactery

Sorry, I just visited this thread and remembered about the list! Here's some for now.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Sort of like a sci-fi drama where a couple undergoes a procedure to have each other erased from their memories.

The Selfish Giant: A British coming of age film about poverty, kids and death.

Persona (1966 Ingmar Bergman film): The story of a patient and a nurse. The patient is mute but then the nurse starts taking on her mute's patient personality. Really amazing film and if you have some interest in pyschology a definite must-see.

The Hunt:
A Danish film about the life of a kindergarten teacher who is accused of pedophilia and the all the tribulations that follow. Very interesting film.

Her: Such a good film. About a guy who falls in love with a computer.

Oldboy (the entire triology): The movies don't connect to each other but they are definitely worth seeing. It's a revenge saga and the first one is incredible. I liked Sympathy for Lady Vegenagence too and the others but the first one definitely. Koreans shoot their movies really interestingly. There's this epic fighting scene and it's shot in one perspective and idk why I think it was the coolest thing, but it was definitely cool. The storyline is awesome too.

Far From Men: About an Algerian teacher who agrees to deliver a killer to trial.

Embrace of the Serpen
t: Clearly, loved this film. It's two stories told at the same time about two men looking for this special plant that is suppose to cure all ailments. Lots of excellent themes on shamanism and nature and the whole thing is just gorgeously shot.

----

I just paused this Bulgarian film I'm watching called Ave. I heard good things even though it's underrated and the actors seem to be unknown. I like quiet simple films like this.

This film The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is a strange horror I saw recently. About a woman who lives in the walls of an apartment and occasionally kill people because there's a parallel world of some sorts in her walls.

i picked THE SEVENTH SEAL instead because it's more accessible and extreme metal as fuck, but PERSONA is a lot more formally daring of course. a fine starting place for the more experimental side of cinema.

THE STRANGE COLOR OF YOUR BODY'S TEARS is basically a giallo pastiche, not for beginners i wouldn't say. i actually find it too stylised and academic myself, more like a reference salad than anything meaningful. it's cool enough aesthetically though. if you liked that check out his other movie AMER, and also BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO which i liked more than either. of course, for someone who's totally new to italian horror, SUSPIRIA is the first port of call.

never even heard of AVÉ i don't think. FAR FROM MEN is kinda minor in terms of content i think, good direction and performances though. if he wants to try a western i'd suggest ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST or THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (if that counts) or THE WILD BUNCH before watching anything that recent.

i love korean action movies but i'm not sure it's what he's looking for! ditto on the british kitchen sink dramas and hipster sci-fis (well, i didn't like HER...)

Thanks for the recs guys. I'm going to get on this over the next few weeks I think.

The Selfish Giant sounds far too depressing from your description so I won't be starting there I don't think.

Edit: I did actually read some brief descriptions of the ones Old Waind's recommended (very brief, didn't want any spoilers) and coincidentally decided I was going to start with The Seventh Seal.

The first two Vengeance trilogy movies are mandatory viewing for everyone who doesn't have an aversion to violence imo. I've never felt as enthralled by a movie as I did the first time I saw Oldboy.

But as for the kind of stuff @Phylactery specifically asked for; I recommend Antichrist. Also Synecdoche, New York, a huge personal favorite of no country's (and also one of mine) that I'm surprised he didn't mention. I also second CiG's Videodrome recommendation.

Reactions: CiG