The Official Movie Thread

American movies have no feeling? That's a dumb opinion if ever I heard one.

It's really one of those opinions that's made by people who think that foreign films (depending on where they live) are masterpieces. If anyone thinks that every film that comes out of South Korea, for example, is on par with Old Boy, they're deluding themselves.

Reactions: CiG
i do think korean action movies are on average way more crazy and unrestrained than american action movies, certainly nowadays. they're different movie cultures and are bound to have some different qualities. but yes, dismissing a whole country like that is obvs retarded. i get why someone might think that if they've solely been exposed to recent blockbusters though i guess.

i do think korean action movies are on average way more crazy and unrestrained than american action movies, certainly nowadays. they're different movie cultures and are bound to have some different qualities. but yes, dismissing a whole country like that is obvs retarded. i get why someone might think that if they've solely been exposed to recent blockbusters though i guess.

This can really be extended to a lot of Hong Kong (as well as other Asian) cinema as well. Barring Tarantino's and a few others, many action films that come out of Hollywood today are really bad at making any form of physical action seem like it has impact. I think Jackie Chan did an interview once where he spoke on that subject.

South Korea definitely has one of the coolest movie scenes outside of the US. Also Talos why the hell are you quoting a post from 2007?

South Korea definitely has one of the coolest movie scenes outside of the US. Also Talos why the hell are you quoting a post from 2007?

Well, I thought that the bottom of the first page was the last page for some reason.

Besides, in an age of remakes, I thought what I said about The Departed was rather relevant.

I know this is from a franchise of films that became empty over-blown action flicks but First Blood was a legitimately good movie and this scene was heart-breaking. Watched it yesterday.

First Blood is definitely one of my favourite movies ever, First Blood II is awesome but more on just an action film level. Same deal with Alien and Aliens.

Edit: when it comes to just pure unthinking entertainment you can't get much better than Rambo 4 though.

First Blood is definitely one of my favourite movies ever, First Blood II is awesome but more on just an action film level. Same deal with Alien and Aliens.

One of my favorite "pretentious film critic" opinions has to be that Aliens somehow diminished the xenomorph's frightening nature. I mean...are you fucking kidding me?

As for First Blood II, it wasn't bad, but I would have preferred it ended there while it still fleshed out Rambo's story.

I have to disagree about First Blood II. I don't want to live in a world with only films that tickle the taints of pretentious film critic types. ;)

First Blood II is a staple of awesome 1985-86 action cinema in my opinion. I used to feel the way you do though, so I can't really say too much.

I do agree that Aliens undid a lot of the frightening and creepy nature of the xenomorph that Alien worked hard to establish, but the good thing about films unlike television series is that you can just watch the film you prefer forever and pretend the rest don't exist. That said I love Aliens.

I have to disagree about First Blood II. I don't want to live in a world with only films that tickle the taints of pretentious film critic types. ;)

First Blood II is a staple of awesome 1985-86 action cinema in my opinion. I used to feel the way you do though, so I can't really say too much.

I do agree that Aliens undid a lot of the frightening and creepy nature of the xenomorph that Alien worked hard to establish, but the good thing about films unlike television series is that you can just watch the film you prefer forever and pretend the rest don't exist. That said I love Aliens.

You misunderstand. The reason I said that I would have preferred the franchise to end with First Blood II because I enjoyed that movie with its PoW angle unlike III. I also don't agree that Aliens diminished the nature of the Xenomorph. That's why I called it a "pretentious film critic" opinion. :tickled:

You don't think it did? I think having more than one xenomorph featured is just bound to diminish it in some way straight off the bat.
Alien 3 I think attempted to bring back some of the terror of Alien because Aliens was just such a standard sci-fi/action film in many ways, though one of if not the best in that particular department.

You misunderstand. The reason I said that I would have preferred the franchise to end with First Blood II because I enjoyed that movie with its PoW angle unlike III.

My bad I misread your comment, yeah III was not very good at all...

You don't think it did? I think having more than one xenomorph featured is just bound to diminish it in some way straight off the bat.
Alien 3 I think attempted to bring back some of the terror of Alien because Aliens was just such a standard sci-fi/action film in many ways, though one of if not the best in that particular department.

My bad I misread your comment, yeah III was not very good at all...

The reason why I find the xenomorphs so terrifying in Aliens as well is seeing how they are in numbers. The way they breed, the way they overpower an opposing force that is well-armed, how they spring upon their foes, etc. completes the second way that the xenomorph can be terrifying: as a full-fledged infestation. I was a massive Alien and Predator fan and I really love the comics (where the whole Alien vs. Predator mythos was far better executed) and my love for the mythos flourished from that movie with its introduction of the Colonial Marines.

Last edited:
I'm right there with you all the way. I guess I was more thinking that Aliens added a truly violent element to the xenomythos, whereas Alien was more ominous and fear-inducing. It was much more 'body horror.'

I'm right there with you all the way. I guess I was more thinking that Aliens added a truly violent element to the xenomythos, whereas Alien was more ominous and fear-inducing. It was much more 'body horror.'

Besides, Aliens has one of the most iconic and frightening sounds in cinematic history: the motion tracker sound. :eek:

(By the way, I just noticed your signature. Gotrek and Felix rocks.)

Love the Alien franchise. I even love some of the rip off films like Galaxy of Terror.

I feel like you could include Pitch Black in with those films too. Very Giger~esque creatures and probably my favorite film with Vin Diesel, granted that's saying very little.

The Aliens comix were really good, read them back in high school. Also highly disturbing, if I recall correctly...

As far as the franchise goes, the first film is light years beyond the rest in my opinion - but that has more to do with setting, atmosphere, and characterization than it does with the alien itself (which is still terrifying, even without all of James Cameron's fancy prostheses and shit). The Nostromo is a fascinating environment, its aesthetic design is incredible, and the Conradian elements add a nice literary touch. Obviously the sequel picks up on this with "Sulaco" and the colonialism plotline, but it doesn't manage to dredge up real horror like the first film (again, in my opinion). Alien comes closest to the heart of darkness.