The Official Movie Thread

Oh I crap I posted too fast. Wanted to say I watched another film by the same director of The Club... Film was called Post-Mortem. It's set against the dictatorship in Chile. I saved this documentary about Chile called Nostalgia for the Light but haven't watched it yet. But basically from what I know there was this dictator Augustine Pinochet whose regime was pure terror and he made many dissidents "disappear." The Club was way better but the ending of Post-Mortem was really awesome (though I thought some parts of the film and the acting wasn't great were a bit weird) and unfortunately I didn't watch the documentary yet but I'll get around to it. I almost feel if I did I would've appreciated/understood the characters more.

@no country for old wainds ha I just recommended him things i remembered really vividly lol. Also what he asked for seemed to be more on the lines of "what sorts of movies stuck out to you?" Maybe my interpretation of it wasn't right, though. Oldboy is definitely a classic though! Seriously everyone should watch that. I also loved Her! What was wrong with that movie?

@Phylactery no problem hope you find something you'd enjoy!

I've been trying to watch more movies lately (after barely watching any for several years) but I find it's kind of a crapshoot whether I'll get something out of a movie or not even if I try to pick stuff that's highly acclaimed by the right people. I wonder if I'm just not a movie person. In general I get so much more out of TV shows and anime.

Movies I've seen in the past few months that I loved: Unforgiven, Blackhat, Ran.

I'm sure cinema has better craftsmanship on the whole but nothing impacts me like good long-form storytelling. I can think of exceedingly few movies that mean as much to me as my favorite TV series.

Reactions: Phylactery
The big ones for me are: Legend of Galactic Heroes, Shinsekai Yori, Twin Peaks, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Death Note, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire and Mad Men.

I'm sure cinema has better craftsmanship on the whole but nothing impacts me like good long-form storytelling. I can think of exceedingly few movies that mean as much to me as my favorite TV series.

I think this is one of my biggest issues with films, TV series obviously have a much longer time to build their characters so they can go through numerous arcs and the same is true of storylines. Maybe these films I've been recommended will change my mind. Not that I watch much TV either.

i actually get that completely. books are theoretically my favourite medium of all, nothing is as immersive for me as a great book (or series of books). the problem is what a huge commitment it is and how hard it is to get reliable recommendations. i guess the fact that i'm interested in movie history and criticism etc + it's such a small time commitment means that it doesn't matter so much if a movie isn't blowing my mind, i'm still happy enough just thinking about and discussing it and working out what i do/don't like about it etc. and also the pool of great TV is pretty shallow unfortunately as it's a relatively new medium, i could drop a list of 10 TV shows i love more than most movies, but it'd drop off pretty quickly after that point.

anyway, give me a bit and i'll make a post with some recommendations and short explanations of why i think you may like them pompey, and you can pick and choose. even if you're not much of a movie person, it's still worth an hour or two of your time every now and then if there's a chance one'll get to you!

The first two Vengeance trilogy movies are mandatory viewing for everyone who doesn't have an aversion to violence imo. I've never felt as enthralled by a movie as I did the first time I saw Oldboy.

But as for the kind of stuff @Phylactery specifically asked for; I recommend Antichrist. Also Synecdoche, New York, a huge personal favorite of no country's (and also one of mine) that I'm surprised he didn't mention. I also second CiG's Videodrome recommendation.

i don't really see SNY as a gateway film i guess, and it's also a very love/hate thing - i tried to play it safe and go for stuff i was pretty sure would appeal off the bat. also phylactery is a lot like i was back when i was getting into movies in terms of music taste at least (and also in searching for something more thoughtful than the mainstream), so i tried to recommend stuff that really appealed to the BM and DM lover in me and made me fascinated by movies in the first place. a few of the films i listed have a lot in common philosophically speaking with extreme metal.

ANTICHRIST is a good pick though, i was thinking today how i should've put a von trier in there.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Those shows are all great, my only problem is that shows of that quality are very few and far between, whereas with cinema you're overwhelmed by great works to the point that you might not ever watch them all.

i actually get that completely. books are theoretically my favourite medium of all, nothing is as immersive for me as a great book (or series of books). the problem is what a huge commitment it is and how hard it is to get reliable recommendations. i guess the fact that i'm interested in movie history and criticism etc + it's such a small time commitment means that it doesn't matter so much if a movie isn't blowing my mind, i'm still happy enough just thinking about and discussing it and working out what i do/don't like about it etc.

I get what you mean. I never forget a movie once I've seen it (except for one of the Resident Evil sequels), so everything I watch becomes part of me. A two-hour time investment take or give isn't a great price to pay for having a new room added to my memory palace. I guess that's why I watch them in the first place. I want to have seen them, I want to have them in my mind, I want to understand the conversations they're part of in the cases where they are. But it is discouraging when I watch highly acclaimed movies and they elicit no emotional response. I wonder if there's some prerequisite knowledge I'm supposed to have that I don't, or if I'm just not seeing them from the right angle.

But sure, I'll take recs. I would especially appreciate some that are only 1½ hour long. Everything on my backlog seems to pass the two-hour mark and then some.

i don't really see SNY as a gateway film i guess, and it's also a very love/hate thing - i tried to play it safe and go for stuff i was pretty sure would appeal off the bat.

I was around 15 and not particularly well-versed in cinema when I first saw it and it completely blew me away. I think it's obvious enough in what it's doing that it doesn't require much cinema lore to understand, you just gotta have the right temperament for it. Which I'm guessing Phylactery does.

I typically like movies better than series too, simply because series oftentimes become ruined when they are drawn out too long. When a movie has a good pace to it and an excellent plot it really pulls you in. Bad episodes/seasons can ruin a really cool series.

i forget if you've seen a few of these, and a few of them i've recd already, but anyway. even if you don't like some of these, it might give me a better understanding of what appeals and what doesn't and i'll be able to get more accurate lol

sion sono stuff - the live-action director most similar to animé that i've found (i guess OLDBOY is up there too, i need to rewatch that). LOVE EXPOSURE actually tries really hard to be offputting at times and it's really long so i'm loathe to recommend it as a starting point - maybe start with TAG instead. i definitely suggest exploring him quite extensively anyway, i find him absolutely exhilarating even when he's a mess. literally every one i've seen has been great so far and i haven't even seen a lot of his most revered material yet. unhinged to a fault.

KEANE - just one of the most emotionally raw and intense movies i've ever seen. i recall it being short and to the point.

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE - admittedly this took me 2 viewings to fully appreciate, but again it's really emotionally fraught.

ANOMALISA - charlie kaufman's latest. also try ADAPTATION if you haven't seen it, not SNY level of course but still good.

IT'S SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY - another animation, it's not perfect but i'd expect anyone who likes SNY to get something out of this. temporal slipperiness to the max.

THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS - depends on your tolerance for wes anderson's OCD schtick i suppose, but i find this chaotic family portrait more affecting every time i see it - actually the same applies to his whole filmography. loads of emotion buried under the stylisation. this isn't a safe recommendation really but i'm curious about your response.

THE FLY - a fun, silly genre movie that slowly becomes really disturbing and melancholy, or at least it did for me. i really like VIDEODROME and it may be a more prescient film thematically, but it didn't hit me emotionally the way this one did.

johnnie to stuff - he's a chinese genre director who constructs and directs his stories so beautifully without sacrificing any of their pulp pleasures. his cop movies are all awesome fun (if sometimes hard to follow if you're like me and struggle to tell asian faces apart lol), but i love his tragic meta-romances even more - ROMANCING IN THIN AIR is an all time favourite in that department. BLIND DETECTIVE meanwhile is just a batshit comic procedural thing, it has a certain chaos and insanity to it that you don't find much outside of animé, you may like. DRUG WAR is a more straightforward (but still chaotic and ingenious) cop procedural which seems to have garnered him more mainstream notoriety, so could be a good place to start. he's asian. you like asians. his movies are pretty short too generally iirc? there are actually an absolute shitload of great unhinged asian action movies/thrillers/etc, nearly every one i check out is awesome.

REAR WINDOW - everyone seems to respond differently to hitchcock (i know you've liked a couple of his if not necessarily loved) but this is one of his most purely pleasurable ones. NORTH BY NORTHWEST too.

LOVE STREAMS - i can imagine you hating cassavetes but you did ask before, and it's possible you'd like. may as well chuck you in at the deep end. i'd rather not say anything as it goes in unexpected directions. keep in mind he thought he had a couple of months to live when he made this - makes it more affecting somehow.

WOMAN IN THE DUNES - this is an existential allegory and not necessarily the most subtle, but it's so fucking vivid and strange that it doesn't matter. also ASIAN.

NAKED - this is like NOTHING else, not sure how to even begin describing it. it's like a british working class drama on a bad trip, but that description doesn't really do it justice. it's the kind of thing that can burn into your brain forever if you can get into it.

MEMORIES OF MURDER - asian cop movie with a really singular tone, pretty much canonical at this point.

OBSERVE & REPORT - like a seth rogen romcom for psychopaths. there's just a juxtaposition in tones here that's really unsettling.

THE SKIN I LIVE IN - insane identity-shifting thriller thing. felt really short to me, idk if it was in reality.

EYES WIDE SHUT - you've probably seen this but eh, it's kubrick being weird and dreamy. probably my fav of his after ACO.

THE SON - i always assumed the dardennes wouldn't be my cup of tea and i was dead wrong. if you like KEANE (i'd try that first) definitely give this a try - the dardennes are the masters of that basic style. their filmmaking is unbelievably economical, it's like they know exactly what to show and when to cut for maximum impact, like fucking clockwork. i've seen all their acclaimed movies and this is their best.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
FWIW i've had loads of experiences with highly acclaimed movies that have done nothing for me. i guess it'd be boring if i agreed with the canon all the time though.

Wow that's one hell of a list. Thanks.

I've seen Love Exposure (liked it, though the subversive elements may have gone over my head), The Fly (mid-tier Cronenberg for me, not sure what I'm missing) and Naked (didn't like it the first time around but I've been wanting to rewatch it now that I know what to expect).

Observe & Report is at the top of my watchlist atm because I'm greatly enjoying Jody Hill's new comedy series Vice Principals.

^i mentioned HANA-BI in the questionaire (edit: uh, top 5 thread. whatever) thread. interesting pick actually, kitano is worth checking out as he's quite singular. you're probably aware of him as he's a major japanese personality and he's in BATTLE ROYALE n shit, but as a filmmaker he's surprisingly unusual. i keep meaning to watch SONATINE already, still haven't seen it.

you should definitely check out NAKED, F_D, although it's not really like any other british working class thing so i'm not saying you'll like it lol. and i think i said this before, but ken loach is the main inspiration for THE SELFISH GIANT i think. check out KES. also arnold's WUTHERING HEIGHTS is amazing in that vein, totally unlike any other adaptation. even if you don't know or care about the source i suggest checking it out - she also did FISH TANK which i haven't seen but it's a very acclaimed kitchen sink drama thing.

yeah i really wanna see VICE PRINCIPALS. i love O&R, i've wanted to find more movies like that but it's hard because so many people don't even notice there's anything unusual about it (which is part of its genius). actually, anything revisionist is cool with me. which reminds me, THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI is like the UNFORGIVEN of samurai movies, so add that to the list.

i think my love of THE FLY is probably dependent on me being pretty disgusted by flies. like, i can barely think of a more horrible fate than that. when she's watching him flail around at the end as this disgusting insectile mess and she's putting him out of his misery, that's just incredibly moving and disturbing for me. the way it looks and sounds affects me on some visceral level. and the whole slow build of the transformation, with him slowly losing his grip on his identity and becoming more and more manic and dangerous, i love all of that stuff. i get why some would just see it as a silly sci-fi movie or w/e as the whole premise is pretty fucking ridiculous, but something about cronenberg's direction and goldblum's performance makes it feel very plausible to me in the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
I totally agree with you, american movies have no feeling, I really hate those films packed with lots of fx but no story. I'll recommed You to see Infernal Affaires and Old Boy.
:headbang:

Speaking of Infernal Affairs, I like both that movie and The Departed. The Departed is an excellent example of how to do a remake.

Reactions: CiG