The Official Movie Thread

gonna have to listen to that podcast, that movie was outstanding.

Finally found a digital copy of Elle, really excited to watch it later.

No context needed for this incredible pic of Dario Argento, Gaspar Noe and Abel Ferrara:

14707837_901900243275920_4082142503199838836_o.jpg

A meeting of the minds if there ever was one.

Also this, Persona 50th anniversary: five films inspired by Ingmar Bergman’s masterpiece and an Abba video.

Last edited:
All of you film buffs, what are your favorite sources for critical discussion on film? I'm getting into cinema more lately and occasionally I'll want to hear informed perspectives on a movie I just saw, but I don't really know where to look. Can be articles or podcasts or anything. I enjoyed that Woman in the Dunes podcast linked above.

All of you film buffs, what are your favorite sources for critical discussion on film? I'm getting into cinema more lately and occasionally I'll want to hear informed perspectives on a movie I just saw, but I don't really know where to look. Can be articles or podcasts or anything. I enjoyed that Woman in the Dunes podcast linked above.
The Projection Booth is one of the bests film podcasts around, possibly the best. If you're into horror and other types of outré cinema then Daughters of Darkness, which I've waxed ecstatically about on here before, is top-tier. On the written end of the spectrum, I read Electric Sheep often, they've got a great editor so most of the stuff on there is well-written.

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/

They delete posts that don't add anything to a discussion and you can't even see their top film polls until you've registered. I don't post there, because it's not exactly me, but I do enjoy looking at what some of the posters say and some of the polls.

http://www.filmlinc.org/daily/paul-verhoeven-retrospective-lineup/

Total Verhoeven opens November 9 with a sneak preview of the director’s latest, NYFF54 selection Elle, starring Isabelle Huppert. Highlights of the complete retrospective include Verhoeven’s early Dutch films, rarely shown in the U.S. and all on 35mm, from his first feature, Business Is Business, to the last film he made before coming to Hollywood, The 4th Man; a 4K restoration of the uncut version of RoboCop; Basic Instinct and Showgirls on 35mm; as well as Verhoeven’s early short films, each centered around youths in school, which foreshadow the themes he would explore throughout his career: female dominance, technology, and war.

Verhoeven will appear in person for the retrospective, participating in Q&As after screenings of RoboCop on November 15 and his second Dutch feature, Turkish Delight, on November 16. Additionally, he will introduce Starship Troopers on November 15 and Showgirls on November 16.

Tickets will go on sale Thursday, October 27 and are $14; $11 for students and seniors (62+); and $9 for members. Tickets for the sneak preview of Elle are $18; $13 for members. See more and save with a 3+ film discount package (Elle excluded) or a $125 All Access Pass (Elle included).

critics round up is the intelligent man's rotten tomatoes, linking to a lot of the best publications while avoiding most of the hacks clogging up RT/metacritic. it covers the likes of slant, reverse shot, cinema-scope, sight & sound, senses of cinema, MUBI notebook, criterion and the few major newspapers that don't completely suck like the village voice, new york times, new yorker etc. i could quibble with a few of their inclusions/exclusions but it isn't far from what my own choices would be if i made a more elitist version of RT.

aside from stuff covered there, you already know film freak central, which was the main influence on me getting more interested in movies and movie criticism. i have books by some of the more legendary figures in film criticism like dave kehr, andrew sarris, jonathan rosenbaum, david thomson, j. hoberman etc, pretty much all of those guys have material archived online (some are still writing and will pop up on critics round up from time to time) and often have interesting takes.

corrierino is probably the best discussion board i've found although it's increasingly dead nowadays. some of their threads contain pretty engaging discussion, and their threads are searchable via google. i don't listen to many film podcasts regularly but the best ones i've come across are the cinephiliacs, scarecrow video podcast, loose canons and filmspotting.

i mostly just use letterboxd otherwise, but you have to be following the right people to make it worthwhile. i've built up a good network on there and you can look at the thoughts of the people *i'm* following - just replace 'lady-snowblood' with whatever movie you want in this url: https://letterboxd.com/tomnixon/friends/film/lady-snowblood/reviews/

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegard Pompey
And if this complex, rewarding film’s achievements can be simplified, it’s that Elle is so liberating simply because it refuses to reduce Michèle to victimhood, not only in the context of her rape but in terms of her life as a whole, and shows all the ways in which she herself refuses the label. And if you think this is a film about a woman giving in to her rapist, I think that says a lot more about you than it does about Verhoeven or his brilliant work. Bold, courageous, and utterly human, Elle is rich and varied; and while it doesn’t shy away from graphic sexuality or violence, it is remarkably well balanced and Huppert is obviously as comfortable with wit and humor as she is with baring the raw, unspeakable, and often ugly parts of the human experience. The film surprises up until its last moments and even delivers up a cautiously optimistic ending— for all the film’s female characters, actually— where Michèle and Anna walk off through a cemetery, arm in arm, moving forward with their lives together despite it all, as it is implied they always have done and always will do.

I don't think I agree here. Michele is repeatedly thrown into victim status in the film but I would not say her relationship with the rape is victimhood at all.

I think the most interesting thing about this movie is the fact that crazy women must have daddy issues

Been so bored after work with no internet this last month, so I've been watching all the audio commentary of my dvds. The ones with John Carpenter and Kurt Russell together were easily the best and the drunken Cannibal: The Musical audio commentary was the very best. Man, as cool as the guys behind Hot Fuzz/Shaun Of The Dead are, they're so boring to listen to.

What We Do In The Shadows has to be the best Vampire movie of the last decade easy..

Amen and a fatty-boom-batty blunt to this.

need to go see Jack Reacher

You really don't though.

i caught major 'progressive' pro-assimilation undertones in WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS which might piss some of you dorks off, but i likes it, made me laugh quite a bit. my fav vampire movie of this decade is probably ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE though. i really like VAMPS too but that's just a subtly melancholy self-aware CLUELESS rehash with vampires lol