The Official Movie Thread

Watched Strange Days with Ralph Fiennes. I can see why the movie bombed. It's got a nice cyberpunk-ish atmosphere like Johnny Mnemonic but it's schizophrene in terms of tone. One minute it's a political mystery thriller and next it's a horror movie and then it's an action movie. If they had picked one thing and stuck with it it would be a great movie.

I need some help.

I'm interested in pirate films that are of a more serious/dark nature.

No Yellowbeard slapstick or Pirates of the Caribbean popcorn cheeze and by serious/dark I don't mean Captain Philips fighting with Somalians in dress shoes and sweatpants.

i'm not sure but i did a bit of Internet Research and the island (1980) popped up a few times, if you haven't seen that. seems like there are a few people out there asking this question and not getting many replies.

Reactions: CiG
the-hateful-eight-e1448046544676.jpg

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
I saw Handmaiden in the theaters recently and really enjoyed it. Chan-wok Park is a good director, and I thought the concept was really interesting. I don't want to spoil the movie, but it's about a Korean woman (whose mother was a notorious thief) who is hired to be this wealthy woman's handmaiden (which is basically a maid). I was taken aback with the long sex scenes, actually. But there's really something unique about Asian films. They always explain every single detail to you, whereas Western films leave a lot of room for interpretation. Not sure how I feel about that yet, but I enjoyed the movie a lot.