The Official Movie Thread

asians have had a monopoly on crime films this past few years.

blackhat (mann)
blind detective (to) - more of a screwball than a drama, but crazy/great
drug war (to)
the wailing (hong) - MEMORIES OF MURDER meets j-horror.
a hard day (kim)
SPL 2: a time for consequences AKA kill zone 2 (cheang)
black coal, thin ice (diao)
sabotage (ayer) - a lot of people hated this, but if you want a nasty coked up action movie with arnie playing a baddie it rules IMO
the last stand (kim) - this one's more goofy and arnie's the good guy this time. still pretty fun.
the voices (satrapi) - far from a traditional crime movie but it's a serial killer movie where ryan reynolds's pets tell him to kill women.
premium rush (koepp) - not sure if this counts but michael shannon plays a corrupt cop chasing bicycle-riding joseph gordon levitt across the city.

blue-is-the-warmest-color.jpg

eh, missing something here. Don't get the hype, OK film but Cannes winner?

yeah, it's neither deserving of the hype nor the backlash really. spent the whole thing thinking 'that was pretty good but i can imagine ways it could be better and more distinctive'. performances are the best thing about it (and léa seydoux in general mmmf), even if they were coerced through bullying lol

if you liked prisoners you'd probably like big bad wolves, kinda has that vibe. i'm not a massive fan myself but it was tarantino's favourite movie of whatever year it was released for what it's worth.

"Swiss Army Man" - freaking beautiful movie. Toilet humor+ deep meaning + nice actors performance and cool soundtrack.
Just don't take this movie literally, that's the worst thing you could do.

It's a movie for ppl who don't see things flat - white is white black is black. If you can catch a symbolysm and read between the lines - this one is for you. I know folks who didn't get it though, and i feel sad for them, because it's actually not that complicated.

On a remote island, populated solely by women and young boys, 10-year-old Nicolas plays with other children, but not in a carefree manner. And while the women may have maternal instincts, something is awry: they gather on the beach at night for a strange ritual that Nicolas struggles to understand, and the boys are taken to a hospital regularly for mysterious treatments. And water is everywhere. This is the stuff nightmares are made of, and Nicolas appears to be living out one of his own. In the follow-up to her directorial debut, Innocence, Lucile Hadžihalilović continues her exploration of growing up—where we’re going and what we’re leaving behind. As Nicolas discovers more, feelings of fear, melancholy, and also eroticism bubble to the surface. Hadžihalilović has created a dark fantasy that we are invited to explore and make our own discoveries, however macabre they may be. An IFC Midnight release.

have you seen her previous film INNOCENCE? it's been on my wishlist for literally over a decade, when i heard about this new one i did a double take trying to remember where i knew her name from.

have you seen her previous film INNOCENCE? it's been on my wishlist for literally over a decade, when i heard about this new one i did a double take trying to remember where i knew her name from.
Innocence is excellent. Very Picnic at Hanging Rock. I haven't seen any of her shorts but I really want to see her first one La bouche de Jean-Pierre which kind of really isn't a short seeing as its like 52 minutes. Her and Noe sure take their sweet as time with new projects.

Lol that amused me as well. Can't expect everyone to enjoy and sit through a film like that but to demand a synopsis ahead of time lest it be too bothersome is pretty childish. And ruins the surprise for others. Step out when you need to, mouth firmly closed.

asians have had a monopoly on crime films this past few years.

blackhat (mann)
blind detective (to) - more of a screwball than a drama, but crazy/great
drug war (to)
the wailing (hong) - MEMORIES OF MURDER meets j-horror.
a hard day (kim)
SPL 2: a time for consequences AKA kill zone 2 (cheang)
black coal, thin ice (diao)
sabotage (ayer) - a lot of people hated this, but if you want a nasty coked up action movie with arnie playing a baddie it rules IMO
the last stand (kim) - this one's more goofy and arnie's the good guy this time. still pretty fun.
the voices (satrapi) - far from a traditional crime movie but it's a serial killer movie where ryan reynolds's pets tell him to kill women.
premium rush (koepp) - not sure if this counts but michael shannon plays a corrupt cop chasing bicycle-riding joseph gordon levitt across the city.

I'll have to check some of these out. South Korea was on a streak of excellent films there for a while.

the only one i've seen on that list so far is wiener-dog, which i actually found pretty unsurprising. just solondz being solondz in a not very focused or inspired way. it's pretty funny though.