The Official Movie Thread

ya both RAW/GRAVE and THE AUTOPSY OF JANE DOE are on my wishlist. also these:
Shin_Godzilla_US_poster.jpg

tumblr_nji06sKiSD1qbwsc3o1_1280.jpg

MV5BNTE0NTMzNjE0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzM4NTM3OTE@._V1_UY1200_CR89,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

in-a-valley-of-violence-poster.jpg

CbQPoP9W4AAGG4K.jpg

Trivisa_Poster.jpg

media.jpg

camino-poster.jpg

14031696_491790877696312_156963350_n.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

i'm reading some of this dude and I honestly can't say I know how he feels about most films. he talks shit about marginally OK hollywood films while ranking shit films quite highly.

he's extremely divisive. generally regarded as a prick and a maniac in film critic circles, but has a cult following. i find him interesting without really being a fan, he talks complete shit too often but at least he unapologetically does his own thing. some here would probably like him as he's very suspicious of liberal narratives and hates obama etc. also got banned from the NY film critics circle for allegedly heckling the director of 12 YEARS A SLAVE at a dinner lol

Reactions: CiG
yeah, I picked a few recent films to see what he thinks and hates em all. his racial take on hateful eight/tarantino has me kind of confused

I saw Baskin, a Turkish horror film. Sorta reminded me of that Twilight Zone episode "Perchance to Dream" where it's like a loop of reoccurring nightmares but way more gorey. I also thought the use of reds and stuff were really cool. It was an OK horror film. Around a 7/10 for me. It's on Netflix instant watch it anyone's interested.

Reactions: Einherjar86
I watched Baskin a few days ago, along with The Wailing, a Korean horror film. Both were very strong, I thought. Baskin had a surreal quality to it that was so strange, but made it enjoyable to watch. The scene when all the police officers were singing in the van... so weird, haha.

There was quite a bit of hype around Raw when it first hit the festival circuit. A lot of reports of people fainting and a lot of speculation that comes with such sensational statements, wondering if they were fabricated and what not.

Shilling for Diabolique again but seriously read this, A Hidden Leprosy Gnawing Our Vitals: Transgression, Incest, and Bertolucci’s La Luna

Some more good reviews courtesy of the excellent Reprobate, Review: Three Colours – Blue / White / Red and Betty Blue.

i'm not sure it really adds up to a honed, meaningful vision - kinda feels like he's just throwing everything and seeing what sticks at times - but it's a pretty intense and spellbinding experience for stretches, and obviously tonally fascinating.

I think in terms of religion, history and gender is adds some really interesting layers. story wise, i'm reading up to see what other people think. i'm all over the place at the ending

i can't remember the details anymore but i remember watching this vid.

and posted this comment:
the thing that's confusing people is the shaman (the one who performs the exorcisms). i think he's clearly good up to the point when the ritual is interrupted by the father before it can be completed - it certainly isn't the interruption of that ritual which causes the japanese stranger to become vulnerable but the ritual itself (as it starts happening way before the interruption takes place). however, i think the interruption of the hex is what causes the shaman to turn bad, and everything he does after that is at the behest of the devil.

yeah I just watched that one, think the creator goes a tad quick but maybe thats her market/audience

shaman is confusing, the girl in white is confusing. the japanese guy is confusing. the mushroom/skin disease is confusing. all confusing, and I agree with others that I think is the point. not sure the answer is important but rather how you get to that conclusion and why that happens.

but i'm reading some things I didn't get, like some saying the daughter was raped. I just assumed she met the japanese guy and contracted the skin disease?

i can't remember the details anymore but i remember watching this vid.

and posted this comment:
the thing that's confusing people is the shaman (the one who performs the exorcisms). i think he's clearly good up to the point when the ritual is interrupted by the father before it can be completed - it certainly isn't the interruption of that ritual which causes the japanese stranger to become vulnerable but the ritual itself (as it starts happening way before the interruption takes place). however, i think the interruption of the hex is what causes the shaman to turn bad, and everything he does after that is at the behest of the devil.

This is interesting, because [SPOILER] I assumed the shaman and the devil were working together the whole time.

I guess I assumed that, if the hex weren't interrupted, the shaman would simply claim it didn't work. But I don't have anything to support that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Funerary_Doom
***Spoiler alert for The Wailing***

Yeah I thought the shaman and the devil/ the old man were working together too. I think I thought so when like the shaman left and he had mad pictures in that box. Remember the devil liked to take a bunch of pictures?

It actually surprised me that the lady turned out to be good. I swore she wasn't. But I think there was clues to her being good though I.e her wearing all white and stuff.

Edit I also was very suspicious about the shaman at first because his ritual seemed really silly too. I guess it seemed like it would've made sense for him to truly be a fraud in the end and being deceitful to who his alliance was. Then again I also saw that character as an overall critique about people within those professions too.

Last edited:
I watched Baskin a few days ago, along with The Wailing, a Korean horror film. Both were very strong, I thought. Baskin had a surreal quality to it that was so strange, but made it enjoyable to watch. The scene when all the police officers were singing in the van... so weird, haha.

I was in an advance stage of drunkidness when I watched Baskin. I enjoyed it but didnt really understand wtf was going on. Thanks for reminding me about it. Need to watch it sober.