The Official Movie Thread

Haven't seen it. Blonde Vanessa Hudgens in a bikini not withstanding, I always suspected it was built around a gimmick (former Disney stars playing against type behaving badly) that would wear thin rather quickly. That and the fact that James Franco annoys the piss out of me. Truth be told, I much prefer Korine when he's writing for Larry Clark.

you should probably watch it regardless as it's like SHOWGIRLS levels of polarising lol, and mostly the same people tend to like both in my experience. it's also franco's best performance by a billion miles and more of a sensory film than intellectual, shot by gaspar noe's usual cinematographer and edited in a way that seems pretty innovative to me. maybe it will seem empty/thin to you idk, but i'd still say it's essential viewing for someone with your general tastes.

james franco is annoying primarily because he keeps buying the rights to adaptations of beloved novels and then shitting all over them, because he went to film school or something

spot on. he did an adaptation of AS I LAY DYING that was just played straight except with a de palma-esque split screen all the way through lol, it was very pretentious art student

Primary/secondary role James Franco films I like:

Sonny
City By The Sea
Good Time Max
Pineapple Express
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (flaws duly noted)
This Is The End
True Story

Everything Will Be Fine looks interesting. I think Franco has a good amount of depth as an actor, considering he's famous for doing dumb slacker/stoner comedies. Not many actors can pull off that kind of dichotomy.

Little afraid to see how his Bukowski film turns out though. :err:

you should probably watch it regardless as it's like SHOWGIRLS levels of polarising lol, and mostly the same people tend to like both in my experience. it's also franco's best performance by a billion miles and more of a sensory film than intellectual, shot by gaspar noe's usual cinematographer and edited in a way that seems pretty innovative to me. maybe it will seem empty/thin to you idk, but i'd still say it's essential viewing for someone with your general tastes.
I was mildly interested when it first came out if I'm being honest but I quickly forgot about it. Now I'll be going back and forth on whether or not to watch it :lol: Maybe some day down the line.

Some thoughts on three films by Nikos Nikolaidis, the Greek director I brought up not to long ago most famous for Singapore Sling. Been making my way though a box set of all his films:

The Wretches are Still Singing (1979) - Imagine The Big Chill if it was a pitch black comedy and the gang that gets back together to relive their past glory days were members of a 50's band that consisted of murderers, rapists and an alcoholic recently escaped from a mental institution. Probably the most nonchalant attitude towards murder and the discovery of dead bodies to be found in any film. As brutally funny as it is, its also quite depressing as it is after all about people clearly dissatisfied with the way their lives turned out trying to recapture an era that's long over. Incredible soundtrack to boot made up of classic 50's and 60's pop and rock 'n roll.

See You in Hell, My Darling (1999) - This one had me doing back flips. You know when you watch, read or listen to something and you just can't help but feel that it was made specifically for you? That's this film. Along with having one of the best titles ever, it also contains cinematography so lush it'd make Argento jealous, two of the sexiest actresses I've seen in a long time and a narrative so fractured it'd make Robbe-Grillet say "Now wait just a damn minute..." And vomit. So. Much. Vomit. I lost count over how many times one of the main girls empties her stomach. Anyway, trying to explain this film is futile. Its like Possession or Lost Highway in that its literally impossible to neatly sum it up in a few sentences. This is easily going to have a secure spot in my favorites of all time with subsequent viewings. The cover art is amazing too:

7d_276823_2_SeeYouinHellMyDarling.jpg

Loser Takes All (2002) - Nikolaidis' most "normal" film compared to the others, but still full of his eccentricities. Despite being from 2002 it feels very early 90's what with its cast of slacker characters getting themselves involved in some shady business plotline. It sort of switches back and forth from funny to serious and oftentimes both at once with even the most intense scenarios having a "light" quality too them just because the lead character should be completely incompetent in such situations yet somehow he manages to wing his way through some dangerous shit with ease. Interestingly, this film does predict the Greek financial crisis to a point. Nikolaidis would die before the shit really hit the fan with the Greek economy but there are moments in the film where he makes it clear that he's knows where his country is headed. There's even some jabs at the Euro and at point the main character says something along the lines of "No wonder this country is living in the dark ages."

Another report from the Nikos Nikolaidis box:

Euridice BA 2037 (1975) - Nikolaidis' first feature film that establishes several obsessions that would feature prominently in future films, chief among them characters stuck in metaphorical psychosocial and physical purgatories and yes, puke. A surrealist, Polanski-esque dystopian take on the classic Greek tragedy of Orpheus and Eurydice, comparisons to Repulsion are inevitable and fans of Eraserhead should find plenty to love as well. Masterful use of limited setting, very rarely does the film venture outside the titular Euridice's apartment yet the black and white Hell on Earth created by Nikolaidis is so striking and lead actress Vera Tschechowa so gorgeous the film is constantly engaging, particular due to its enigmatic narrative. Dialogue is sparse and vague, and in truth it might be a good idea to brush up a bit on the classic tale beforehand just as a primer. This was the first in a trilogy Nikolaidis would dub "The Shape of the Coming Nightmare" that would be fully realized years later, first with the dystopian sci-fi masterpiece Morning Patrol (1987) and finally with Nikolaidis' final film The Zero Years (2005).

i haven't but yeah i thought cig would respond to that.

i've actually seen MORNING PATROL btw, a long while ago. i recall it being quite STALKERish and kind of amazing. could tell the dude was legit.

the posters were:
two lane blacktop
the driver
repo man
duel
death proof
vanishing point
christine
drive
pit stop

no idea if any of those are on netflix. as for horror, i think re-animator is on there if you haven't seen it, that's a classic. think hellraiser is there too. the wailing is a recent korean horror that's getting loads of hype, it's pretty nuts.

i thought deathgasm was older than that for some reason! maybe cig hasn't seen it then, he doesn't exactly watch loads of new stuff.

i've actually seen MORNING PATROL btw, a long while ago. i recall it being quite STALKERish and kind of amazing. could tell the dude was legit.
As far as the world's gone to shit sci-fi its easily on par with the likes of On the Silver Globe and Hard to be a God, just not as epic in scope. Lead actress Michele Valley was the mother in Dogtooth which got quite a bit of hype when it came out so people who liked that should definitely seek out Nikolaidis' films.