The Official Movie Thread

this is supposed to be quite cool:
micmacs_poster.jpg

Reactions: Burkhard and CiG
So I watched 31 over the weekend because it was on Shudder. Rob Zombie needs to hire some new actors and quit using his wife because she's shitty and even harder to believe as the sole survivor than most leading ladies in horror.

The psychopaths all died too easy and were bent on fucking around and theatrics (except for the last one who quickly massacres two characters but then breaks character again and fucks around until the contest is over... but then changes again as the film ends)

The whole contest thing is only briefly touched on and not really explained. i find that what I liked about the film was the more absurd shit (Spanish speaking hitler midget) just because it made me laugh. I guess in you're a fan of House of 1000 Corpses or Devils Rejects you might like this movie but in reality it'd be because it's the same fucking characters and grimey setting.

Micmacs is actually one of the roughly twenty movies or so that I've seen in a theater. For some reason. I remember it being good but I also remember not remembering anything about it.

Rob Zombie is one of the biggest flop directors around. I liked House Of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects especially, but they seem to just be examples that he got lucky rather than he's a great writer/director.

The first sign was even thinking a Halloween remake was a good idea to begin with, especially some crummy explain why the killer is the way he is plot.

the lords of salem was pretty great IMO.

i've heard his halloween 2 is a lot better than the first one, i've only seen the first though and found it pretty meh.

Is City Of Lost Children any good?
Yes it is, really good in fact. Used to watch it all the time on IFC back when they actually played interesting movies. Amazing production design and a really imaginative storyline. Great villain too, Daniel Emilfork had one of the freakiest faces. Tailor made for such a role. He played a creepy cop in La belle captive, one of my favorite surrealist horror films.

Reactions: CiG
Zombie's remakes are just the same as everyone else's. Completely devoid of the old magic that made the movies great. If I didnt know his name was stuck to those movies, I wouldnt have ever known.

Didnt one of the late movies in the series explain why Michael Myers was evil/indestructible anyway? And I'm pretty fucking sure it's not because he was an abused little white trash kid.

Reactions: CiG
Went to an arthouse cinema in Denver yesterday (yeah I'm still in CO, rescheduled my return flight) called the Sie Filmcenter, it was fucking awesome. Great seats, 35mm capability, in-house bar with cheaper beer than any of the actual bars I've been to in Denver, respectful audience, everything about it was great. I caught a screening of Cronenberg's Shivers and it was preceded by an introduction by an extremely charismatic hostess, a brief round of trivia and a short performance by a local industrial rock act called Voight. (Their live sound was a lot more abrasive than the stuff on their bandcamp. There were solid minutes of ear-piercing guitar screeching. It was wonderful.) This month they are showing three other Cronenberg movies (The Brood, Videodrome, Dead Ringers), Ghost in the Shell (the original movie) and A Clockwork Orange. I plan on catching all those screenings if I can.

I'd love to check it out but it's a 40 minute drive (and I don't actually drive). I don't think I'll be going there.

latest

second viewing of my film class, this was a pretty good movie actually. think it could have ended earlier and been stronger, the first 50-60minutes are stellar and quite timeless dialogue

Went to an arthouse cinema in Denver yesterday (yeah I'm still in CO, rescheduled my return flight) called the Sie Filmcenter, it was fucking awesome. Great seats, 35mm capability, in-house bar with cheaper beer than any of the actual bars I've been to in Denver, respectful audience, everything about it was great. I caught a screening of Cronenberg's Shivers and it was preceded by an introduction by an extremely charismatic hostess, a brief round of trivia and a short performance by a local industrial rock act called Voight. (Their live sound was a lot more abrasive than the stuff on their bandcamp. There were solid minutes of ear-piercing guitar screeching. It was wonderful.) This month they are showing three other Cronenberg movies (The Brood, Videodrome, Dead Ringers), Ghost in the Shell (the original movie) and A Clockwork Orange. I plan on catching all those screenings if I can.
Looked that place up and it seems like a mighty fine establishment. Encouraging to know such places are still operating especially in today's current cinematic ecology. Looks like they've got some great stuff upcoming for their "Late Night" series.