The Official Movie Thread

Going to see Beowulf in a few hours, can't say it was really on my "to-do" list, but I'm going with a friend so it's all good.

Still, looks like they just ripped a fuckload off from 300

I AM SPAR....BEOWULF!!

I never really got when people said this. When I watch a movie with subs I do not feel like I am actively reading anything. It just kind of sinks in. When people say this it makes it sound like they have to make an effort to read the words.
Agreed. Usually translations are simplified enough that you can just see the words and understand them. It doesn't feel like reading.

I think I might watch Gia tonight. I feel like seeing Angelina Jolie naked for an entire movie.

I just watched a horror/thriller called The Descent. Wasn't expecting much at first, but this one turned to be really well done; with conviction, great atmosphere and good acting. Loved it.

The Bicycle Thief De Sica, 1948
With its down-to-earth authenticity and simplicity, its gorgeous almost poetic capturing of a city, and its heartbreaking ending in the face of which all snap judgments and snobberies are dispelled, The Bicycle Thief really is one of the most well-made, innovative films ever. As a champion of honest compassion for real despairing people, it's a huge fuck you to the escapism, self-importance and superficiality of your everyday Hollywood flick. Still, neo-realism isn’t really my thing... 8/10

Amores Perros Iñárritu, 2000
Intense and full of adrenaline, it reminds of City Of God except a little less stylised and ultimately more human. Same story at first; very visceral without being that satisfying, as the rash, feral characters destroy themselves and those around them. The 3rd part gives more than adequate emotional pay-off though; the guerilla puts everyone to shame with the brutal clarity and honesty of his perspective, and his willingness to take responsibility and grab his life by the scruff of the neck. 8/10

It's A Wonderful Life Capra, 1946
One of Hollywood's most cringeworthy, manipulative morality tales, complete with contrived '40s humour and everyprat James Stewart playing a suitably obnoxious, rubber-spined pansy. Its use of various childish conventions in both film and thought, some to which it probably contributed, is also irritating. But in all honesty, dreamy, ridiculous feel-good films always do little for me, and that's probably because I'm a complete asshole. It does have heart, and it stays with you, I'll give it that. 6/10

The Luzhin Defense Gorris, 2000
Doesn't quite capture the dank strangeness of Nabakov's novel (which read almost like an autistic poem), nor does it have as much subtlety, but it's an enthralling tragedy competently filmed and well acted by Watson and Turturro. 8/10

Just finished watching Stalker. Really quite confusing at times, but it also has some of the most beautiful scenes in any movie I've seen. Superb cinematography, superb script and ideas (when I can understand them), superb film.

Blue Velvet is now crossed off my David Lynch list. What a great movie.Not has thrilling has INLAND EMPIRE though. Just need to see Wild At Heart and I have seen everything he has ever released.

Seriously, if you want to see a really horrible movie, then go see Beowulf.

I cannot even begin to speak of the things that ruined this film; but hey, at least it was hilarious :lol:

Just saw Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind.

Really good. Jim Carrey made a good art film and plays his role wit a ton of talent.

Just finished watching Stalker. Really quite confusing at times, but it also has some of the most beautiful scenes in any movie I've seen. Superb cinematography, superb script and ideas (when I can understand them), superb film.

Amazing amazing film, top 5 of all time for me, and it's the best film I've seen that I don't own. I should probably put that right. I just got Nostalgia in the post, will probably watch it tomorrow, can't wait.

Also:
Immortal Beloved Rose, 1994
Feels like the clumsy-fingered, tone-deaf little brother of Amadeus, which is a shame because the Maestro deserves even better treatment. Still, despite it being a missed opportunity, as dodgy semi-fictional biopics go Immortal Beloved is pretty damned enjoyable, albeit largely because it focuses on such a fascinating character. 7/10

Seriously, if you want to see a really horrible movie, then go see Beowulf.

I cannot even begin to speak of the things that ruined this film; but hey, at least it was hilarious :lol:

I'm gonna see that next week with some mates, and my expectations are so low it'll probably end up impressing me.