The Official Movie Thread

I haven't had much time for films outside of my class obligations. For instance I recently watched:

I Was Born, But... by Ozu
October by Eisenstein
Ivan the Terrible by Eisenstein

I really enjoyed 'I was born, but...' beautiful film about childhood, really evoked my own nostalgic memories of childhood. October is an extremely tough film to grasp first time through, it is quite formalist and really requires a supernatural amount of attention to take in, so I'll definitely have to watch it again. Conversely, Ivan the Terrible was actually pretty digestible surprisingly, I liked it but I heard part II is much better and I am seeing that next week.

In other film related news I am going to see Sunrise with a small live orchestra, should be a great experience if done properly. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans is easily one of my favorite silent films and movies more generally. It's on Youtube so no one has any excuse to not see it. Even with the shitty resolution it is still an awe-inspiring film to watch.

Beowulf Zemeckis, 2007
At times it's style over substance, with impressive but OTT CGI, catchy 300-style dialogue (save a few good lines) and melodramatic voice acting, but where "Beowulf" succeeds is in its attempt to be more than just an adaptation of a myth. It speculates upon the dark secrets that lay beneath the glorious legend - inc. the flaws and frailties of the human behind the hero, and the human inability to learn from or face up to its mistakes - with lots of anti-Christian subtext to boot.
7/10

I haven't had much time for films outside of my class obligations. For instance I recently watched:

I Was Born, But... by Ozu
October by Eisenstein
Ivan the Terrible by Eisenstein

I really enjoyed 'I was born, but...' beautiful film about childhood, really evoked my own nostalgic memories of childhood. October is an extremely tough film to grasp first time through, it is quite formalist and really requires a supernatural amount of attention to take in, so I'll definitely have to watch it again. Conversely, Ivan the Terrible was actually pretty digestible surprisingly, I liked it but I heard part II is much better and I am seeing that next week.

In other film related news I am going to see Sunrise with a small live orchestra, should be a great experience if done properly. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans is easily one of my favorite silent films and movies more generally. It's on Youtube so no one has any excuse to not see it. Even with the shitty resolution it is still an awe-inspiring film to watch.

I need to see these films....

I watched History of the World Part I today when I saw it free from Comcast On Demand. Certainly not Mel Brooks' best but it has its moments.

"I give you these 15...(oops)...10 Commmandments..."

"In fact, the only thing we don't have a god for, is premature ejaculation... but I hear that's coming quickly."