The Official Movie Thread

Is there a lot of hype around it?

once upon a time in america is essential viewing. 10/10 movie

When people say this, there's hype. Could someone tell me why they think this movie is so great? I felt like I wasted almost 4 hours of my life tbh. The one thing this movie had going for it was the plot twist at the end and that's probably what kept me interested.

When people say this, there's hype. Could someone tell me why they think this movie is so great? I felt like I wasted almost 4 hours of my life tbh. The one thing this movie had going for it was the plot twist at the end and that's probably what kept me interested.

it's just a great story and it's fascinating to see a jew thrust into the world that we say italians run

Although I recall it being a touch overlong, to a large extent it's necessary to show the development of the complex fraternal relationship between De Niro and Woods' characters. It's kind of like Godfather parts 1 and 2 rolled into one movie. The performances are great and the cinematography, as with all Leone's movies, is perfect despite Leone having traded the desert for the city.

tSQop.gif

Reactions: CiG
No country and Ozzman really didn't think very much of this one, but I really liked it. Meat pie westerns always have a special place in my heart though, David Gulpilil and Tom Lewis in the same film? Brilliant.

I was shocked by the violence when I first watched it, which is odd because it's not one of the most violent films I've ever seen. It's something about the way the violence is presented that I found visceral and jarring, but it worked so well for the atmosphere. The outback becomes a landscape in which human bodies are reduced to the inanimate, base matter that surrounds them in the wastelands. The setting really is a character in the film, an agent on par with the hapless humans who people it. It's one of the only onscreen westerns I've seen that reminds me, in certain ways, of Cormac McCarthy's novel Blood Meridian.

And the political undertones are subtle and tasteful--national and ethnic identities, Australia's history of colonization, etc.

Reactions: CiG
For me the main thing that stood out was the use of flies. The scene where it lingers on the backs of the crowd watching the flogging, their shoulders and hats covered in literal sheets of flies. Flies landing on faces during dialogue causing facial twitches, flies buzzing around corpses, flies basically blanketing Guy Pierce in the scene where he's asleep in a ditch. Probably the single most important element in capturing the true nature of the Australian outback is the god damn flies.

ff.jpg

vcvcvc.jpg

And of course Hurt's parody of "O' Danny Boy" where he sings "...the flies the flies are crawling" was genius.

Last edited:
haven't seen the proposition since it came out fucking forever ago, so i don't know how i'd feel about it now tbf. i haven't really liked the stuff i've seen by hillcoat since then, but i recall that one being a different beast.

Speaking of Aussie cinema, the Aussie Oscars were held yesterday, winners and nominees here:

https://www.aacta.org/aacta-awards/winners-and-nominees/

I've only seen Upgrade and Sweet Country. Keen to see Strange Colours.

Sweet Country is a Western in the vein of The Proposition, although not quite as good imo.

I also love the irony of Best Indie Film being sponsored by Event Cinemas. Event is the major cineplex chain here and doesn't actually show any indie movies.

sweet country seems quite well regarded in my 'circles', not enough to have made it onto my watchlist though.

cargo looks like a the road rip off trading viggo for martin freeman lol.