The Official Movie Thread

Watching:

44366_1_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Time for a trailer dump:

New film by Alfonso Cuarón (Y Tu Mamá También, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Children of Men, Gravity) which looks to be filmed entirely in black and white. Set in the early 1970s, the film is a semi-autobiographical take on Cuarón's upbringing in Mexico City.

Sandra Bullock-lead post-apocalyptic supernatural thriller directed by Danish filmmaker Susanne Bier. Premise sounds interesting; the film follows a woman (Sandra Bullock) who, along with a pair of children, (dubbed Boy and Girl), must make it through a forest and river blindfolded to avoid supernatural entities that take the appearance of their victims' worst fears, regrets, and losses that cause them to die by suicide.

George Tillman Jr. (director of Notorious: wasn't a fan) is doing a film touching on the subject of police shootings with this one. Looks to be heavily political, so it could come across as preachy or it could be inspired, hard to tell from a trailer obviously.

Another film with Eastwood doing the double role. Really looking forward to seeing this one, the screenplay is by Nick Schenk, based on The New York Times article "The Sinaloa Cartel's 90-Year-Old Drug Mule" by Sam Dolnick. The film is inspired by the true story of Leo Sharp, a World War II veteran in his 80s who became a drug dealer and courier for the Sinaloa Cartel. If anything The Mule will feature some bad-ass old man Eastwood, if that's all it delivers I'll still be satisfied.

Political dark dramedy about the rise and fall of American senator Gary Hart, played by Hugh Jackman. Directed by Jason Reitman (Juno, Up In the Air, Labor Day).

Feels kind of like Grumpy Old Men updated, made rural and directed by someone who is inspired by Jared Hess. Could be throwaway but I have a feeling I might like it. Directed by a female director I've never heard of, who has done one other film and has a bunch of producer credits for TV work.

Heist film directed by Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave) based on an 80's ITV series of the same name. This one looks insane, with a huge cast consisting of Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez, Elizabeth Debicki, Cynthia Erivo, Colin Farrell, Brian Tyree Henry, Daniel Kaluuya, Jacki Weaver, Carrie Coon, Robert Duvall, and Liam Neeson. Basically a group of women have to do a heist job to make enough money to pay a crime boss back the money their criminal husbands owed him, wacky premise that could work or flop brutally but I have some hope for it.

Directorial debut for industry cinematographer Dave Schwep (most notably working on some Game of Thrones episodes). A thriller about voyeurism and the lengths people will go for fame (usually achieving infamy instead). If anything it will probably be nice to look at.

Ultra nostalgia-milking and 1980's worship, hard not to draw parallels to Stranger Things and the whole revival of plastic 80's aesthetics going on right now. Story is about a group of kids who discover that there might be a serial killer in their middle class suburban neighborhood and they set about uncovering the killer in typical 80's fashion; tree-forts, spying on women undressing with binoculars and riding around on their BMXs. Looks like a lot of fun.

Documentarian Jeremiah Zagar's debut film, seems to be a family drama/coming-of-age indie film showing us a raw piece like Kids or Gummo was, in that way only people who like to make documentaries can when they finally try their hand at a feature film.

This British thriller is set in Scotland and concerns incidents on a hunting trip to the remote Scottish Highlands, and stars Jack Lowden and Martin McCann. Directed by Matt Palmer (up until now he's done short films) and is his debut for feature films.

Not familiar with Kevin Connolly though I heard his older film Gardener of Eden is cool. Pretty big step forward for an up-and-coming basically unknown director to do a biographical crime drama about Gotti with Travolta in the lead. I hope it works, the trailer gives me some hope/hype but I'm just not sure about Travolta anymore.

AKA The Bouncer. French action thriller film directed by Julien Leclercq, starring Jean-Claude Van Damme! Few people might care about this one but I love JCVD and always hope he returns to form, haha. The trailer looks insane, entertaining, gritty and perhaps even a vehicle to force JCVD to actually act. @TechnicalBarbarity @RadicalThrasher I thought of you guys.

Ron Pearlman-lead hitman film directed by Michael Caton-Jones (Memphis Belle, Doc Hollywood, This Boy's Life, The Jackal, City by the Sea) which looks interesting.

The 6th spawn of Mel Gibson in a potentially cool CIA action/thriller.

Lee Hae-young's remake of Johnnie To's Drug War. Since it's a South Korean crime film this might interest @Vegard Pompey.

I don't usually go for these sappy coming-of-age teen dramas but I think the premise is actually quite interesting and I don't know that this aspect of social media has ever been touched on. Directed by Ian Samuels, his directorial debut.

Film about the infamous Lizzie Borden, played by Chloë Sevigny with Kristen Stewart playing Lizzie's lover and live-in family maid. I'm pretty excited for this one, mostly because it's been ages since I've seen a film with Chloë Sevigny in the lead role.

British psychological horror film directed (another debut) by Matthew Holness, the guy who wrote, directed and starred in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (which I adore). Very creepy disturbing imagery. From Wiki:

Possum's visual style was inspired by public information films that Holness had seen during his youth. These films, which were intended to shock youth out of making bad decisions, often depicted children being kidnapped, maimed, and/or killed. The films deeply disturbed Holness, who later recalled, "They were put on between children's programming during the day; you'd see these horrific, terrifying films – you got the impression that the adult world was a very tribal place. Of course, now we know several of those films are fronted by real-life monsters". Further inspiration for the film came from silent films such as Murnau's Nosferatu.[32] Holness also listed films such as George Romero's Martin (1978), and Dead of Night (1945) as inspiration for the film. When the film was originally announced, Holness stated in an interview with ScreenDaily, "The film draws on the dark nightmares of silent expressionist horror, British classics such as The Innocents and Don’t Look Now, as well as the claustrophobic suburban gothic of Pete Walker's Frightmare. Possum will terrify in the best tradition of classic horror cinema, evoking an atmosphere of supernatural dread and creeping horror.”

Film about drug lord Pablo Escobar, played by Javier Bardem, and the love affair he had with a journalist and television presenter in the 1980's, played by Penelope Cruz.

Legendary TV director Tim Hunter (Twin Peaks, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Law & Order, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, Hannibal just to name a few) with a Nicolas Cage-lead thriller.

This guy directing the film is also working on 5 other films all in 2018 alone and before 2018 he's done no directing of full feature films, so that's pretty intense strain on quality control I would assume. This might be crap, but the trailer intrigued me enough.

Last edited:
44d1fa13647513.5627662af3358.jpg

Been catching up on MCU films so I can see Infinity War and find out what all the fuss is about. Most of them are kind of a slog. This is my favorite so far. It has that kind of Nolan-y grit and contemporary relevance going for it, with information age-concerns like mass surveillance and drone strikes, and the institutions that are supposed to protect us being subverted by the bad guys. And at the center of it all you have this totally purehearted anachronism who just wants to punch the bad guy if someone can just point them out. The villain's pretty intimidating, spending most of the movie offscreen, only showing up just as you've forgotten about him to ambush the heroes without warning. There are some parts that could've been seriously tense if everyone wasn't immortal because it's a fucking Marvel movie. Even the extended universe stuff worked for me, generally. It's a much better "Nick Fury" movie than the first Avengers movie and one of the best action setpieces revolves wholly around him.

Watched the House That Jack Built yesterday and I was very pleasantly surprised, especially after hearing quite a few czech critics shit on it. They were basically saying that Trier just wants to be controversial at this point and shock people, but in fact there's nothing now in the new film. I'd say don't go see Trier if you don't want to see Trier. They complained about the length too as it was 2h30m, but hey, wasn't Nymphomaniac two fucking movies about a woman getting to be fucked by a lot of people?

I actually didn't mind the length at all, the movie was divided into five murders (incident) and narrated by the dialogue of Jack with Verge which took place while they were descending to hell. I really liked the pace, the murder sequences were lightened up (almost comically) by daily struggles of a serial killer and stuff that can go wrong during the crimes, which reminded me of Coens movies, and the narrative descent to hell was cleverly a Platonian dialogue, which reminded me of Tarkovsky's Stalker, because it covered such wide range of philosophical questions the watcher might have about the killer.

Yeah the premise is quite stupid and the movie might not bring anything new, but hell it was entertaining.

Last edited:
Channel 7 (on the east coast at least) seem to be playing a collection of crappy Aussie horror movies lately. Tonight is no let down.
No noted actors, starts off with some poorly researched history fact checking and its got a big hairy monster which according to some o/s reviewers is Australia's answer to the YETI, the savage hairy man beast known at the Yowie.

MV5BMjAzMjc2OTUyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODg1MzA1MDE@._V1_.jpg