The Official Movie Thread

Saw Vice. It was terrible.

Minimal narrative coherence, emphasis on montage over continuity and substance, reliance on viewer expectations and confirmations rather than thoughtful reflection. I wanted a meditation on the bureaucratic corridors of power, and instead got superficial liberal clickbait, "wink wink, nudge nudge, aren't we clever..." I don't need to go to the movies to learn that Dick Cheney is a piece of shit. Total waste of two hours.

Saw Vice. It was terrible.

Minimal narrative coherence, emphasis on montage over continuity and substance, reliance on viewer expectations and confirmations rather than thoughtful reflection. I wanted a meditation on the bureaucratic corridors of power, and instead got superficial liberal clickbait, "wink wink, nudge nudge, aren't we clever..." I don't need to go to the movies to learn that Dick Cheney is a piece of shit. Total waste of two hours.

I enjoy and support this kind of emotion following a viewing.

Minimal narrative coherence, emphasis on montage over continuity and substance, reliance on viewer expectations and confirmations rather than thoughtful reflection. superficial liberal clickbait, "wink wink, nudge nudge, aren't we clever..."
sounds like Adam McKay's other movies
did anyone really expect a McKay-directed movie to be any kind of serious documentary type movie
when i heard "Adam McKay directing movie about Dick Cheney" i kinda expected the movie to look like a 2-hour-long SNL-sketch making fun of Cheney

Tonight:

4400_1_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG
'Hardware' director Richard Stanley's adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's 'The Colour out of Space' coming 'in the near future.'
It has been almost exactly three years since Elijah Wood’s indie-horror production company SpectreVision announced that it was teaming with Hardware director Richard Stanley for a film adaptation of “weird” author H.P. Lovecraft’s short story, “The Colour Out of Space.” Little has been heard about the film since, but in an interview with Birth.Movies.Death to support the release of the Nicolas Cage-starring Mandy, SpectreVision cofounder Josh C. Waller confirmed that Stanley’s film was still a go-project.

“It’s moving along,” said Waller. “We announced that we were going to be doing it, what, three years ago? Let’s just say that we’re getting a lot closer. Significantly closer. Like, it’s coming up, so I will be busy with Richard on set with that sometime in the near future.”

The film would be Stanley’s first feature since being fired from the 1996 H.G. Wells adaptation of The Island of Dr. Moreau.

What did you think of The Predator?

It was alright. I was fairly entertained, didn't really care for all the forced comedy. Kind of wish they would've picked up where they left off with Predators. Obviously doesn't come close to the greatness of the original. Opens with a bang, plenty of action and the predators get a good amount of screen time. Mindless action movie that tries a little too hard with some sort of a plot. If I'm still alive 20-30 years from now I'll probably look back at it the same way i look at films now from 20- 30 years ago and wish they still made those kind of movies.

Cecil B. Demented (John Waters, 2000) - Strangely underrated later Waters, his up to this point in time penultimate film, in fact. Waters does what he does best, lampooning something while at the same time celebrating it, underground film in this instance. A fascinating film really when you consider how Waters was technically working within the Hollywood "system" by now while still giving it a good skewering. Interesting from a timing perspective too coming at the beginning of the new millennium and what was going on with film at the time. There's some nice callbacks to his earlier work, Female Trouble in particular, and Melanie Griffith's eye make-up does resemble Divine's at some points. It's also impossible not to think of the "Sprocket Holes" gang of cineterrorists being an extreme version of Waters' own Dreamlanders team, even if he has said he didn't have that in mind.