The Official Movie Thread

happydeathday2Utrailer_main.png

This was a lot of fun. Adds a zany Back to the Future style touch to the original Groundhog Day-meets-Scream concept. The first half hour is particularly bonkers, but then it's like they felt they had to reign it in and it becomes increasingly sentimental after that.

I've seen 0 from 2018 and can only think of 3 I want to see. I generally loathe the hype around new movies as most turn out not to be my thing. I could probably do 2017 as a few from that year caught my attention but that was a weird anomaly.

Just finding them to watch them at all can be a problem. My sister recommended The Public Image is Rotten after seeing it in Australia and it'll probably take a year or three before it hits the internet or I get a chance to see it here.

Have you heard of this one?

Kiwi film that looks interesting, wouldn't mind checking it out.

Watched The Island last night on the telly. All sorts of dumb with some pretty crazy action. Ewan and Scarlett were odd choices.

They already gave up on the all-female franchise?

Well the female ghost busters lost $50 million+ so yeah...

It’s actually crazy they want to go ahead and try again when the last movie did crash and burn so hard.

I guess they said it’ll be a direct sequel to 2 though, so it’ll be fine.

I recently tried to watch that movie with an open mind. It came off more as a McCarthy movie. The humor in it was really bad. Hemsworth’s role was just over the top ridiculously bad.

No never, but I get a sneaking suspicion he's left-wing.

dude i fucking replied to this before and it's vanished ugh. i'll try again.

yeah my biggest problem with leigh (mostly his early work) is when the political stuff gets too obvious and condescending, from the sneery caricatures to the contrived contrasts between class types or w/e (both on display in that movie). i think when he's primarily character driven and any political implications arise organically out of that he's really good though, and i do think the central couple in that movie are too multi-faceted to be any kind of political cipher (cyril is a sympathetic character but his impotent, curmudgeonly marxism isn't exactly being celebrated lol).

anyway, naked is an entirely different beast and that's the one leigh film i would recommend to absolutely everyone, there's nothing like it. it's a dark angry howl of a film that's pretty much guaranteed to get a response, even if it's a negative one.

Reactions: CiG
Honestly I didn't mind how on the nose it was politically, it felt like The Young Ones (the Tory toffs even reminded me of The New Statesman with how outwardly conservative yet inwardly degenerate they are) if stripped of all wackiness and instead directed and acted seriously. But it was pretty funny with just how unashamedly left-wing it was. The central couple are charming in all the best ways possible and I really liked the movie, so I'll have to track down Naked asap.

Honestly I didn't mind how on the nose it was politically, it felt like The Young Ones (the Tory toffs even reminded me of The New Statesman with how outwardly conservative yet inwardly degenerate they are) if stripped of all wackiness and instead directed and acted seriously. But it was pretty funny with just how unashamedly left-wing it was. The central couple are charming in all the best ways possible and I really liked the movie, so I'll have to track down Naked asap.

nice, glad you liked! naked is the opposite of charming haha, a lot of his other stuff is similar to high hopes though—it’s more representative of his typical style. his other most acclaimed one is secrets & lies which i haven’t actually seen yet, that one won the palme back in the 90s.

Reactions: CiG
nice, glad you liked! naked is the opposite of charming haha, a lot of his other stuff is similar to high hopes though—it’s more representative of his typical style. his other most acclaimed one is secrets & lies which i haven’t actually seen yet, that one won the palme back in the 90s.

The opposite of charming? That sounds interesting. What exactly do you mean by that?